All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Fiber is not relieving my constipation new
      #361628 - 10/22/10 08:35 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

Actually, as I understand it that is not at all how it works. In a healthy individual, the person eats IF and that moves the bowels within the next half an hour or so, depending on the individual. The BM is caused by the fibre (e.g. the fruit) even though the waste matter passed is not the fruit itself, as that needs to be digested and you have only just eaten it, but the BM is absolutely caused by the peristaltic movement unleashed by food eaten now. Back in the day when I was IBS-free I found that whenever I ate food with a high-IF content, ie fruits or wholemeal bread, I would need the loo within the next half an hour. (would have a beautiful bowel movement, no bloating, no pain. oh those were the days...)

Regarding definitions and all that, I always think of IBS as a condition when IF has too great an impact on your bowels either causing the digestive tract to seize up (C) or moving it immediately and too vigorously (D). (or it can be A) And there's bloating and spasms and all that.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber is not relieving my constipation - Heather? new
      #361634 - 10/22/10 12:31 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wow, that's interesting and very different from how I understood it. I agree that the act of eating a meal stimulates peristalsis, but I did not think that peristalsis was affected by whether the food eaten was IF or SF. Maybe Heather, you could clarify? Since I am C, I would really love to know if I am wrong about this.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Edited by renee21 (10/22/10 12:33 PM)

Re: Fiber is not relieving my constipation new
      #361637 - 10/22/10 01:00 PM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

have you thought about trying the hypnosis?? it has been amazing for me. letting go of a lot of stress was the most helpful thing...

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361639 - 10/22/10 02:38 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

IF is a GI stimulate. SF isn't although some of the byproducts of fermentation of SF in the colon may be stimulants. GI stimulants can change peristalsis in the small intestine and colon. You can read what Heather says about it here

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361641 - 10/22/10 03:26 PM
renee21

Hmm. Well. I've been on this site for 6 years and this is news to me. If that is what Heather is telling us, it is not very clearly explained on that page about IF. The link says "Insoluble fiber, like fat, is a very powerful GI tract stimulant". But where is the proof that it stimulates the colon when you EAT it, not when it hits the gut? I am not saying I disbelieve this, only that it is not something I was familiar with, and it doesn't line up with my personal experence, either. For me, the effect of a food is felt the next day (except for the gas part). If I eat a fatty meal, about 24 hours later I will get my punishment in the form of a more forceful, looser BM and spasm. But I don't get the urge to go to the bathroom right after a fatty meal, or after a high-IF meal. Then again, maybe this is because I am for the most part a C, not a D.

--------------------

#361643 - 10/22/10 03:50 PM
Syl

The proof that the act of eating anything can trigger IBS symptoms is given by Heather in the explanation of the gastrocolic reflex. In these video interviews with Prof Whorwell an internationally recognized GI doc on the IFFGD gives more insights. He talks about the effects of eating and IBS in the interview "Diet, eating and IBS".

Some people feel the effects of some foods sooner or later than others. For me it is a 2-3 hours for IF and 40-70 minutes for fructose, sorbitol, FOS, etc. Fatty foods it is next day. IBS trisgger effects can occur from the time one starts eating through to the time fermentation of undigested food takes place in the colon. The range is from minutes to a day or two.

Research shows that while SF reduces gastric emptying time from the stomach to the small intestine IF doesn't. On the other hand IF decreases small intestine and colonic transit time. If you dig through the library and read some of the newsletters you may find more details.

Different foods and different fibers have different effects on different people.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#361646 - 10/23/10 01:59 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

It's nothing to do with C or D. I am C too but I certainly don't get the unwelcome symptoms IBS-unfriendly food induces merely the next day... I get them after a meal containing IBS-unfriendly ingredients. Sometimes within minutes/half an hour but definitely within a couple of hours and not the next day.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#361651 - 10/23/10 06:21 AM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

Just goes to show how different we all are!
No wonder this is a tuff condition to get a handle on.....

--------------------
IBS-D

#361657 - 10/23/10 09:41 AM
renee21

Hi Syl, I wasn't disagreeing with the fact that the very act of eating stimulates the gastrocolic reflect, which is what the links you provided to Heather's site and Dr. Whorwell's video indicate. I experience that myself - when I eat, I feel it in my asending colon right away. I was just looking for some evidence that the SF/IF ratio affected the strength of peristalsis. Clearly, the people on this site find that it does for them, so I am not going to say that it doesn't. But it wasn't something I'd read in the literature. The link you provided to Whorwell says this:

Cramping and diarrhea
Certain foods are known to stimulate gut reactions in general. In those with IBS eating too much of these might bring about or worsen symptoms. For example symptoms of abdominal cramps and diarrhea might be brought on by...

•Meals that are too large or high in fat
•Fried foods
•Coffee
•Caffeine
•Alcohol

Again, no reference to meals high in IF. But I know that people on this site get "attacks" as soon as they eat a particular food, so I am not going to dispute that. It was just not a causative link I'd drawn in my own eating/symptoms, possibly because I almost always eat IF and SF together, as per the EFI rules.

--------------------

Edited by renee21 (10/23/10 09:42 AM)

#361659 - 10/23/10 10:05 AM
Syl

Hi Renee21, the EFI rules and IF are summarized on the insoluble fiber page in these sentences "One glance will tell you these insoluble fiber foods are the best (and tastiest) around, but your colon simply can't handle it if you eat them with abandon. You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines." And there is a more extensive discussion in this newsletter in the section on The Fifth Sneaky Sin of the IBS Diet where is says "insoluble fiber is a huge potential trigger". Throughout the web site and in her books Heather talks about the trigger effects of IF, particularly cereal bran, which can cause spasms resulting in D, C or A.

For some of us eating as much IF as possible means eating very little.

Glad to hear you have learned how to manage the IF/SF ratio to your satisfaction.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 927 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 28821

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review