All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
      #361494 - 10/18/10 07:49 AM
missamber

Reged: 12/16/06

So, I'm on a special diet for a little bit of weight loss, known as "The Maker's Diet." It's written by Jordan Rubin, a nutritionist who was dying of Crohn's and healed himself through Biblical foods. Anyway, he suggests that food be cooked in extra virgin coconut oil. I was skeptical, but I have to say that I haven't had any bad reactions to it and ever since I've been cooking with it, I've noticed a loss of interest in sweets, weight loss, and my stomach has lost a lot of bloat (since it gets unhappy, off and on). I would suggest trying this oil for cooking. The only bad side-effect at first was gas!!! My husband and I both cramped a lot and were a little musical, but after we got used to it, I have to say that I am impressed by our bodies responses. Anyone else ever experience extra virgin coconut oil. And it HAS to be extra virgin. I almost wonder if some of my prior stomach problems were due to cooking oils.....
Ta-ta for now!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil new
      #361496 - 10/18/10 08:14 AM
MandyB424

Reged: 10/15/10

I would love to know this, too, Amber!

Friends of ours actually know Jordin personally. Our friend had cancer that only gave him six months to live - he used Jordin's book and is now completely in remission! Amazing!

#361503 - 10/18/10 09:46 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

i know everyone is different, and the EFI diet certainly doesn't allow it, but i actually find that coconut is very soothing to my gut. go figure.

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361505 - 10/18/10 02:40 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You may find these articles on Jordan Rubin. He is on the list of Nonrecommended Sources of Health Advice at Quack Watch

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361509 - 10/18/10 04:52 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I read the book but it was awhile ago. I didn't try the extra virgin coconut oil, but it does sound tasty. I go pretty liberal on the extra virgin olive oil, though. Glad you had success with it.

#361511 - 10/18/10 06:41 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I know that coconut oil is a powerful antifungal/antimicrobial. Perhaps that helped your symptoms. The Maker's diet, from what I understand, is a low carb, no grain/no sugar diet which cleanses your body of all toxins, where one eats only whole, natural organic foods. I know of others who were committed to bowel surgery, who after being on this diet, got well enough to forego the surgery. I believe we are "a sick people" partly because of all the chemicals, toxins, and preservatives we eat in our food. If following such a diet helps you, kudos to you. Worth a try if it doesn't cost you anything other than your time and meal preparation. For me, I also need to follow a somewhat low carb, low grain/sugar , minimal processed/packaged food diet to stay well. I've heard of others who use that coconut oil on skin for skin softening too.

#361616 - 10/22/10 02:42 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Anti Viral and anti biotic:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/22/coconut-oil-and-saturated-fats-can-make-you-healthy.aspx

I use a basting brush to coat a small amount onto my cooking pans and on toast. I like the taste as well.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 713 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3057

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review