All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Just diagnosed with Gastroparesis
      #361447 - 10/15/10 11:23 AM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

can anyone recommend any remedies or treatments? i already have such a restricted diet but now i need to cut out more foods and also scale down the size of my meals - thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just diagnosed with Gastroparesis new
      #361451 - 10/15/10 01:25 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

that's what I have!
So as for treatments--please be leary of reglan. I got facial twitching from it--and I'm only 27. I was on reglan for only a month, but had to stop it right away. I had other horrible side effects, so I would tell you that it's not an option.
The other meds- starts with a d--forget the name... anyway, it's not FDA approved yet and my doc says there are many reasons for that--she thinks it would be worse than reglan for me!
So, the good news is that it's pretty controllable by diet usually...
I use the basic EFI diet and modify it.
All fruit &/or Veggies need to be cooked or pureed. I eat lots of applesauces and smoothies. All my veggies are well cooked (I usually steam them).
I eat 4-5 meals a day. All of them are small. In fact, I just ate a mini meal right now-- 1/2 cup rice milk, 2 graham crackers with a little bit of peanut butter.
Don't drink your water at meals-- they need to be spaced out, otherwise they'll fill your belly.
I take 2 colace every evening along with an align. This keeps everything moving, along with benefiber morning and night.
Hope this gives some help...It's a tough diagnosis. I really miss salads and just sitting down and eating a normal sized meal, but my life is so much better. I feel a TON better. I can't say I have good days everyday, but only a few times a month do I feel sick-- and I haven't vomited in months.
Hang in there and ask any questions you might have!

--------------------
IBS-A

#361454 - 10/15/10 02:03 PM
jason61

Thanks so much! my problem is that i am already 20 lbs underweight and cant afford to loose any more lbs. plus i have a ravenous appetite so its tough for me to eat small meals cause i never feel satisfied..any suggestions?

#361458 - 10/15/10 07:31 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

honestly, if you're feeling hungry, then the gastroparesis might not be your problem. People with GP tend to never get hungry, as they are always full! So, I don't know. that's strange! I also had lost a lot of weight before I was diagnosed and my GI doc suggested I eat higher calorie foods like an ensure drink or something of that nature. That way even though I'm eating a small amount, I am getting enough calories to keep my weight up, ya know?
Hang in there!

--------------------
IBS-A

#361460 - 10/15/10 09:15 PM
jason61

Thanks Aly- im thinkin it could also be a functional dyspepsia or just low HCL - i did feel better when taking the HCL supplements but cooled it for a bit since i developed a flare up. either way im taking it easy until i get back on track

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6154 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1930

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review