All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone done this...
      #361240 - 10/04/10 04:12 AM
debbylev

Reged: 04/08/10
Loc: SC

Good morning all! I had been stbilizing nicely lately. Suddenly, everything went haywire and I went in to see a new gastro doctor as I believed it was time. He scheduled a colonoscopy for the end of this week and breath tests on the 21st. He prescribed 4 mgs of cytotec twice a day and told me to keep increasing the fiber and stop all fruits and vegetables. Stop any vitamins or supplements and just use this approach. After three days I was sicker than ever and totally not able to go to the bathroom. He sent me to the hospital for a saline enema with dye test but my colon became so spastic they couldn't finish it. He wanted to know if there was a blockage. He then told me to cut the cytotec to one every morning and prescribed robinul forte (2mg eachtime) to be taken before each meal. I am drinking lots of water and using the fiber but things are getting progressively worse and I feel awful. I called him and he said to just keep going with it but I feel like I am doing more harm than good. Can anyone give me some thoughts, ideas on this I am thinking of just stopping the medications as I don't feel like they are right for me. If you have gone this course and felt this way and came through it with a positive outcome I would really like to hear. Thank you for all the support I receive here it is so much appreciated.

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone done this... new
      #361244 - 10/04/10 07:18 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Why did he give you cytotec? Generally it is used to reduce the risk of NSAID-induced ulcers. There are side effect warnings that say of if you have any other digestive problems such as IBS, Crohn's Disease, etc Cytotec may not be exacerbate symptoms.

What sort of fiber supplement did he suggest you take? A soluble or insoluble fiber supplement? And for what reason did he suggest not eating fruits and vegetables?

Much of what you are saying sounds a bit strange. Perhaps it is time for a second opinion.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361246 - 10/04/10 08:44 AM
debbylev

I looked up the cytotec and called him as I have no signs of ulcers. He stated it was because it could give a D effect. I also questioned the Robinul as I told him I had been given spasm relievers and they did not agree with me s I work and the side effects for me were terrible. Both of these have made all of my symptoms much worse which is why I ended up have the saline/dye enema. I knew there was no blockage just backed up from the medication. He said too continue them but I have stopped as of today and have a call into him. I have been using Benefiber and building up slowly as I have a hard time taking in fiber but this one seems to cause me the least amount of problems if I take it with a stool softener. He said my "healthy diet" could be the root of all my problems and to stop eating them until I have the other tests. His nurse told me it was a lactose intolerance test so I am totally confused. It sounded very strange to me also which is why I questioned had anyone else been put on the regimen as it was getting very scarey as I feel sicker by the day. Missed three days work so far. I hope to talk to him today. May have the colonoscopy done and look for yet another doctor who might actually listen to me this time. He called me right after the enema and asked why I had not told him I had IBS diagnosed before but I had and he had written it down and kind of brushed it off as if that didn't count. Hopefully this medicine will leave my system quickly. Thank you for the response as I am really concerned.

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

#361248 - 10/04/10 09:13 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yes - it sounds strange using a powerful drug like that for its D side effects! And why did he give you Robinul? This drug too seems to be used for controlling conditions such as peptic ulcers that involve excessive stomach acid production. After getting the results the colonoscopy you might look for another GI doctor.

Hopefully, you will find a GI who is knowledgeable about managing IBS soon.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361266 - 10/04/10 05:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

Hopefully, you will find a GI who is knowledgeable about managing IBS soon.

I hope so too!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#361281 - 10/05/10 02:46 AM
debbylev

Thank you for your support. I will continue with Heather's diet as I have been doing and increasing the fiber gradually. Then finding another gastro who hopefully listens better than the last three have

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

#361378 - 10/12/10 03:49 AM
debbylev

Just a short update. I had the colonoscopy done yesterday. When the doctor came in with the results he grinned and said you have a spastic colon and diverticulosis. I told him that is why I came to you to begin with and where do we go from here. His answer was "eat more fiber, more fruits and vegetables and see you in five years for another colonoscopy". I was floored as he had talked about other testing for food allergies, slow digestion and slow motility. I will find another doctor but keep on going for now with what has been working. After telling me to stop all fruits and vegetables and more testing, it was like he didn't even know my case history when he came in! I am going to call his office today and speak with him. Very frustrated!

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

Re: Anyone done this... - Update new
      #361440 - 10/15/10 03:39 AM
debbylev

I did speak with my gasstro doctor after being very upset with him. He said he didn't mean that he would see me in five years and needed to further explain himself. He will be doing further breath testing which I begin next Friday - starting with lactose intolerance and going from there. He says he believes there is a slow digestion problem. It definitely made a difference in his behavior in handling my case to speak with him about his indifference to IBS. I think he will take this more seriously when I do go in for further testing. He seemed to understand my impatience with his answers to me the other day. I really hope so. Thank you for listening!

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

#361468 - 10/16/10 01:03 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Glad things got more sorted out.

Take him this.:)

You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango

http://www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#361477 - 10/17/10 04:20 PM
debbylev

Thank you for the article I have printed it to take with me to the breath test of Friday. He is doing a lactose intolerance test but I don't use dairy and have told him I cannot eat fruit or vegetables cooked and pureed, smoothie, doesn't matter I have terrible pain and the c gets so much worse. I guess he has a reason for this and I do plan on asking why. I will be sure to have the article in my hand when I do

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 460 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4035

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review