All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I have bacterial overgrowth & need antibiotics, BUT
      #361071 - 09/23/10 09:15 PM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

I am very very worried that it will make my dysbiosis worse and cause c diff and candida overgrowth. I have also been dealing with parasites for the past year and they finally disappeared, but i still have bacterial overgrowth and it is contributing to a lot of my symptoms

i took alinia several months ago for parasites and it really made me feel better. Alinia has antibacterial activity but not as much as an antibiotic like rifaximin. im wondering if it is safe to do this because i will essentially be wiping out my entire flora.

Furthermore, my stool test showed that i have minimal growth of Lactobacilli and Bifidobacterium even though i megadose on probiotcs daily

I want to correct my insides but also dont want to make things worse. I would very much appreciate any feedback cause i am at a loss

thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: COME ON PEOPLE new
      #361075 - 09/24/10 06:00 AM
jason61

50 views and not one person has anything useful to tell me?

Edited by jason61 (09/24/10 06:00 AM)

Re: I have bacterial overgrowth & need antibiotics, BUT new
      #361077 - 09/24/10 06:03 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

have you tried acacia fiber? i find the combination of that and a probiotic is helpful for bloating, don't know what your symptoms are but...the acacia is a PREbiotic and works with the probiotic to help populate good bacteria. i take it everyday and if i don't i feel MUCH worse.

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361080 - 09/24/10 06:53 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

How do you know you still have bacterial overgrowth? Have you had another breath test?

What stool test did you have that claimed to show you have mimimal Lactobacilli and Bifidobacterium growth?

What does you GI doc suggest you do?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361081 - 09/24/10 06:55 AM
jason61

had a stool test that showed all this- breath test is bogus...gives a lot of false negatives

#361082 - 09/24/10 06:59 AM
Syl

Perhaps it might be wise to check with you GI doc. A properly done breath test is quite conclusive. Why waste you time and jeopardize your health taking an powerful antibiotic when you might not need it. As for the stool test I don't know of any stool test that will tell you how well the colonic bacterial are growing. It might tell you how much is present but not the growth rate.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#361084 - 09/24/10 07:12 AM
jason61

The Dr.s Data test shows which organisms are present and at what level they are growing in the gut..much more conclusive than a breath test. also a lot of bad bugs dont necessarily give off H2 - a lot give off methane but most docs dont check for that and there is a high false negative rate with the test

#361086 - 09/24/10 07:27 AM
Syl

Breath tests are not designed to test for the amount of bacteria in the colon. They only test for amount of gaseous byproducts they produce. The time at which the gases begin to appear after consumption also provides additional valuable information about the activity of intestinal bacteria.

H2 and CO2 are commonly produced by good and bad colonic bacterial. If your colon contains methenaogens too then some of the H2 is converted to methane by these bugs. The more methane produced the more constipated IBS-C individuals experience. Unfortunately, at the point there is no understanding on how to reduce methane production even with antibiotics.

Unfortunately, probably no one on this board may be able to advise you. It something you need to talk to about with a well trained medical professional such as GI doc. It is a very specialized area.

If you think the lacto and bifido bacteria are low then eat more SF that have a prebiotic effect to encourage their growth. It might also increase the amount of gas produced too

--------------------

#361087 - 09/24/10 07:41 AM
jason61

yeah i guess ive been avoiding the FOS for that reason. When i take my antibiotics im going to use FOS this time

#361088 - 09/24/10 09:15 AM
Syl

FOS is a rapidly fermenting prebiotic SF. Not the best thing for individuals with IBS because it produces a lot of gas quickly. Perhaps another less rapidly fermenting prebiotic SF might be a wiser choice.

--------------------

Re: COME ON PEOPLE new
      #361091 - 09/24/10 06:16 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Since taking antibiotics also kills the good bacteria, which clears the path for yeast colonization, have you considered taking an antifungal? Caprylic acid or olive leaf extract are 2 good choices. Why do you need to take antibiotics?

#361155 - 09/27/10 05:01 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Give a lot of thought to going on an antibiotic. Try probiotics first. Also if it was a homeopathic style stool test keep in mind that they always show too much bad bacteria. It doesn't necessarily connect with IBS or cause symptoms.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 269 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4731

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review