All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
C gone, bloating remains
      #361025 - 09/20/10 09:46 AM
LilyWhizz

Reged: 09/05/10

Hi,

I'm IBS-C prone and bloating is one of my main symptoms. Everyday I wake up ok and as the day progresses I get more and more distended. I find this really affects my mood and can make me really down. This past week or so the chronic constipation has gone. This has coincided with cutting out wheat so I'm thinking there's a connection. Despite the C having cleared up, I'm still having the same problems with bloating. I also haven't had any pain. My doctor has done tests to rule out liver and thyroid function, Coeliac, diabetes and anaemia. My understanding is that if the bloating isn't associated with irregular bowel movements then I don't really fit the criteria for IBS. Is this right? Or would you expect that the bloating after meals would take a little longer to go once the C has cleared up? I'm avoiding wheat and dairy and also basing my meals around soluble fibre, avoiding too much insoluble fibre. I've also been conscious of my FODMAP intake and have been keeping that low.

Thanks for any advice offered!
Lily

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and distention

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: C gone, bloating remains new
      #361068 - 09/23/10 09:48 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

i find that a cup of fennel tea in the morning helps me a lot. do you take any soluble fiber supplements? the acacia works great for me, and as soon as i stabilized my bloat was gone. it only comes back a little bit if i eat something naughty
i think maybe the fennel doesn't work for some people, but if i am bloated and feeling gassy (usually first thing in the morning-the absolute worst time for me) i feel that it calms things down a bit. might want to give it a try- i find that if i can settle the gas down, bloat usually goes along with it.

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361070 - 09/23/10 02:59 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I think you'll find that bloat, all by itself, even when the C and D are under control, remains for many people with IBS or GI disorders. Just a sip of water or anything going down can cause it or make it worse. I guess that's a long answer to YES, it's normal. Normal for not being normal that is. And for many, it is the worst symptom of all. Sorry .. don't mean to be negative, but it is often the case. You should still try and find things that make it better/worse for you. You might be able to lessen it if you are lucky. Good luck.

#361076 - 09/24/10 06:01 AM
bermudakate

i think this is very true- bloating/gas is probably the most frustrating and hard to get rid of problem of IBS!! all you can do is try to alleviate it as much as possible- for me, a combination of acacia fiber, probiotic, hypnosis, and exercise has helped the most.

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361096 - 09/25/10 04:30 AM
LilyWhizz

Reged: 09/05/10

Thanks for the replies. I've tried the fennel tea and haven't noticed any difference. I have a pot of the acacia fibre at home that just arrived. I was travelling this week though so didn't want to start on something new while I'm not at home.
I find that I'm ok when I wake up and it gets worse throughout the day as I eat. So frustrating!

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and distention

#361105 - 09/25/10 10:01 AM
bermudakate

sorry the fennel didn't work for you i think it is pretty mild for most people...the acacia helps me a LOT with bloating. just be patient with it...it took me 4-5 weeks to get down the bloat with adjustments in the amount...

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361132 - 09/27/10 02:10 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Hi,

It sounds like you have similar symptoms, and are following a similar dietary regime to me, that is, a combined EFI & FODMAP approach. I have similar problems with bloating and have yet to find anything that helps 100%. I am taking a soluble fibre supplement, but find it impossible (not matter how gradually I increase the dosage) to get much above 6g a day without bloating. However, it might be worth trying a slowly fermentable fibre supplement (like Acacia), and probiotics are recommended for bloating. (Align/VSL#3 are the two clinically proven to work for IBS-having said that I've not had luck with either)

I would recommend: regular exercise, yoga helps me. Other than that, getting enough sleep, managing stress, and following the dietary guidelines are all that I've found that reduces (but does not remove) bloating.

Best wishes

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

#361133 - 09/27/10 04:54 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

What kinds of foods do you usually eat? You have no pain at all, just bloating?

#361136 - 09/27/10 05:30 AM
bermudakate

if i may ask, what is FODMAP?

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361137 - 09/27/10 05:42 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Check out this article

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 588 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3946

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review