All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Emotions
      #361013 - 09/19/10 07:03 PM
CamilleH

Reged: 05/24/10
Loc: Colorado

I'm just curious if anyone has any helpful hints of things to do when you have an emotional and/or stressful day?

I had an upsetting day and had a really heavy cry. And now I have gas. All I've eaten today is tilapia (cooking spray, lemon pepper, salt, and dill) and pasta (salt, pepper, smart balance light - maybe a tsp, herbes de provence)

And I just have never ending gas. It's so frustrating.

I feel like I'm a skunk. Don't upset me or I'll have gas! Sheesh.

Is there anything you all do for that? Like does having some peppermint or tummy magic tea help you? etc

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-D, Diabetes Type 2, Corn Allergy, Gluten Intolerance, Dairy "Issues"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Emotions new
      #361017 - 09/20/10 04:59 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

first of all, i hear ya!!! i get the exact same way. it's embarrassing and frustrating, but i'm sure you will get lots of responses that we know what you are going thru!!!
i have had ibs for 13 yrs, sort of on and off. for a while (about a year or so) i had no problems at all; then recently (a couple months ago) it came back with a VENGANCE. it was horrible. i looked 7 months pregnant every day, felt gassy CONSTANTLY whether i ate or not, and it was really horrible. so trust me, i understand!!!
this is what helps me. what has helped me the MOST i think, with the emotional stuff, is the ibs hypnosis 100 you can find on this site. it's like $90 and totally worth it. i am only a little more than halfway thru and i feel so much calmer, which is really a big deal for me. stress is a major factor in my IBS, which i always knew but my success with this just made it even more obvious. i could be feeling perfectly fine and one thing goes wrong and it's like my entire digestive system is in revolt!!
also, i started back on the acacia fiber. i don't know if you are taking a soluble fiber supplement, but i took citrucel for years and it helped a little at first, then i realized that it was actually contributing to my bloating. the acacia took a long time for me to adjust (about 5-6 weeks) but it's totally worth it. i haven't been bloated AT ALL for 2 weeks! my gas is MUCH MUCH better as well. seems with the bloating went most of the gas.
i also alternate peppermint and fennel teas...peppermint more for cramping, and fennel (which i drink far more often) for gas and bloating, although i don't think that works for everyone.
i think with IBS, for me, just needs to be managed. heather makes an analogy in eating for IBS that this disorder is like sensitive skin- there is nothing you can really do to change it, you just have to manage it. diet, stress-release, exercise, good herbal teas, fiber...you have all these things in place, start getting used to soluble fiber base every meal and snack, it gets quite easy after a while. you don't even think about it too much. exercise has been wonderful for me as well...actually i have a wii and do the wii active workouts (which is nice, to do workouts at home especially if you have horrible gas!)
sorry for the long message, but i hope some of this helps you and i want to assure you that you are not alone!!
feel free to send me a message anytime...kate

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361036 - 09/20/10 01:18 PM
CamilleH

Loc: Colorado

That is helpful! Thank you.

I exercise on my wii too. If a person is gonna do some yoga positions that happen to move gas around.... it's best to be in your own home. haha.

I do everything but regular herbal tea (I just do it now and then) and I had gotten up pretty high and and was doing well with the fiber but I really haven't been lately. I should definitely get back to that.

Life is just flat stressful at the moment and I hate that on top of everything there's all this annoying gas.

Oh and the hypno - I don't do that. I will definitely check that out.

Thank you!!

--------------------
IBS-D, Diabetes Type 2, Corn Allergy, Gluten Intolerance, Dairy "Issues"

#361037 - 09/20/10 02:15 PM
Narcissa

Reged: 09/18/10

Hi - I was reading through your post and wanted to ask you about your experience when you started taking the acacia fiber. I just started it a couple of days ago, and am trying half a teaspoon twice a day, and am finding that it is really affecting me, gas and cramps, and my whole abdominal area just feels really overactive; did you find this as well? I know it takes some time to transition, but I"m wondering if it was worse in the beginning for other people as well (before - I hope - things get better). What dosage did you start with?

Thanks!

#361051 - 09/21/10 05:49 AM
bermudakate

your welcome! it is comforting to me too to know that there are other people going thru this- a lot of people don't understand that IBS isn't just a minor annoyance! if you are very stressed i would DEFINITELY try the hypno- i have 2 kids and i found myself getting very snippy with them, then i'd get upset with myself, eat something, have horrible gas, bloating, cramping-ugh. i'd have to say my kids are much happier with me these days because i am a bit calmer. it's all a vicious cycle! relax as much as you can!!!

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361052 - 09/21/10 05:52 AM
bermudakate

yes, it was just a little uncomfortable for me at first, not really painful- i would just keep at it increasing SLOWLY, maybe you will need to adjust for a while, but if it's really making you sensitive i would increase 1/2 tsp just once a week and see how it goes. it was pretty crazy, i just started gradually getting better and then one morning, after about 6-7 weeks, i felt 1000 times better and have been feeling like that ever since. it is not a QUICK fix, but in my opinion, the acacia works really well. good luck! hope this helps!

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361056 - 09/21/10 07:32 AM
Jenny1032

I totally understand. My emotions play a huge role in how my gut responds. What gets me the most is when I'm in a stressful situation, my brain starts replaying things. Practicing difficult conversations. Re-feeling the negative part of my day over and over. I can feel my gut tensing up.

Here are some things I do when my body starts responding to stress with bloating and gas: I take slow walks and deep breaths. As funny as it may sounds, I pause to talk to trees. This helps me be present in the moment and shifts the vibe of my body. I make an effort to notice clouds or feel the sunshine on different parts of my body. I think about things I am grateful for-- even if the stress in my life is such that these actions don't feel completely genuine, I find that "pretending" to be present does shift the way my body responds.

Also, I drink fennel tea. This has an immediate positive impact on my body, especially for gas and bloating.

Good luck. I know how awkward and painful this can be.

Jenny

#361058 - 09/21/10 08:22 AM
ksnyder

Reged: 09/07/10

I have been taking citrucel for just under a year (tablet form) and I take all six doses everyday. I tried taking the tummy fiber, and I don't think that I stuck with it long enough. I'd like to try again, but I'm afraid if I go from taking six doses of citrucel to a small dose of the acacia fiber, my constipation is going to be awful and all my symptoms much worse. Would it be bad for me to start with a larger dose?

#362364 - 12/03/10 05:34 PM
meesshh

Reged: 09/04/10

Hi - Wow - I didn't think anyone else experienced the horrible gas phenomenon. Luckily, my friend and I can joke about it now. What triggers it for me is eating when really tense, or overeating when really tensed up - the only way for the real stinky poopy-smelling gas to go away for me is for my intestines to spasm and let some trapped BM out. And the only way for that to happen is time...and being about to eat.

Ugh - it is THE WORST! I end up clenching my muscles everywhere and the house stinks and I feel I will pop when I am around others.

One time I went to yoga and warned everyone about the gas...at least I felt better afterwards! Hang in there. Prevention is the key for me, and watching my portion sizes and being calm when I eat - never on the run or else - and avoiding raw veggies unless they are leaves.

Michele IBS-C with alternating D - haven't quite mastered the soluble fiber basis yet...

#362383 - 12/06/10 01:51 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Flat-D makes pads you wear in your undies that absorb the smell. I had a bout of smelly gas a while ago and I felt they helped me.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

something else fun new
      #362385 - 12/06/10 06:59 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Not eating or eating too little or only once a day can cause spasms and gas too.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 671 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5034

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review