All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
can anyone relate?
      #360919 - 09/13/10 09:03 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I have been following the EFI diet pretty strictly lately, although it is hard becuase there is a limit to how much sugar/wheat I can have which I have yet to figure out. It seems to change daily. Anyways, occasionally I do have small amounts of products with milk or something that is higher in fat, or some orange juice. I was thinking about why I do this when it usually doesn't end well. I realized the reason I sacrifice my stomach pain for these foods is because I feel like I need them for some reason. Like my brain is telling me I need to eat them otherwise I feel annoyed and depressed.Maybe Im missing nutrients or my diet doesn't have enough fat? Can anyone relate to this? Any advice?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: can anyone relate? new
      #360920 - 09/14/10 01:00 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

this is weird, cos I get this too, except not with dairy products. But sometimes with specific fruits, but never with pears for instance which I thoroughly hate, mainly because of their after-effect. but for instance watermelon and regarding leafy vegetables/broccoli/cauliflower/peas, which I know are good for me, but I should strictly speaking be only having a small amount and with a lot of more fattening stuff like potatoes/bread/rice, I am petulant sometimes that other members of my family can eat tonnes of broccoli whereas I restrict myself to two florets...

That said I think it's largely psychological, and it depends on what you're used to. I have not had dairy for months now and I don't miss it. I steered clear of all fruit except for bananas and apples for a year, never missed it. And I used to eat a lot of wholewheat bread before, but it is the worst offenders. Couldn't do without it for a while, but then I weaned myself off. Don't miss it now. I don't believe that craving means that you want/need something. I know that's what they say for pregnant women, but when it comes to the kind of carbs that pizza/cakes contain, they are addictive and compel you to eat more. Maybe lactose is like this as well...

Although I am very angry and frustrated sometimes, but the EFI diet is here to help! http://www.whfoods.com/foodadvisor.php
is a good indication of what you may be missing out on. Think it's a trustworthy site and then you can click on nutrients to see how to get it. It is theoretically possible not to be low on nutrients and still adhere to the EFI diet.

http://www.whfoods.com/foodadvisor.php

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#360925 - 09/14/10 07:03 AM
Allisonmary

Thanks for your reply:) It is not so much a regular craving for foods that I get but more like a depressed weak feeling if I eat 100% non trigger foods. I do follow the EFI diet however I have lots of trouble with insolubles and do not eat enough vegetables at all. The only vegetable I have is sweet potato which I eat every single day. I have no greens at all and I think that could be part of the prob. ALso, I feel like when I eat too much wheat I don't feel well.. but, when I try to eat no wheat- I feel so sick, like really weak and dizzy. Even if I eat lots of rice which is carbohydrates too. I run alot so I do need a lot of carbs. The link you gave me indicates that I may have alot of deficiencies especially B12. I do take a multivitamin with 200% B12 but I know it is best to get your vitamins from actual food. HOwever I do have like all of the symptoms of B12 def. Can you have a B12 deficiency if you are taking a vitamin with 200% B12?

#360926 - 09/14/10 07:27 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

hmmm... Am not the best person to ask, my personal mantra is get vitamins from food only. If you search for B12 on that site, http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=107
salmon and shrimp for instance are good sources and they are IBS friendly!

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#360936 - 09/14/10 01:20 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I can very much relate to you... there is too much white flour/sugar on the diet for me to function. While it does allow me a much higher functioning GI system, I can ONLY tolerate the what to eat when you can't eat anything, and unfortunately, that doesn't work. I actually suffered from such weakness and fatigue that I wasn't really able to work, and that isn't an option since I am single. I am back to eating lots of healthy trigger foods and forever trying to balance. Long answer, but yes, I craved healthy foods while on the EFI.

#360977 - 09/16/10 11:10 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I eat very little sugar on the EFI diet, and I'm fine. It takes time to figure out your balance, moreso for me because I recently had to start over from scratch -- only the what to eat when you can't eat anything diet. I think it's just a matter of the long, time-consuming, kind of annoying process to figure out what YOU can eat in the IF world.

See, for me, whole wheat bread is completely tolerable so long as it contains no milk and no artificial sweeteners. Peas are death on a plate. Broccoli is great, cauliflower can only be eaten in small quantities. Quinoa is great, barley isn't. It's an extremely personal process, I think, and the rules are good guides, but they don't tell you everything.

I started out by eating strictly, getting stable, and then slowly introducing one new thing at a time. When I was reasonably wide-ranging in the healthy foods category, still stable, (about a year and a half into the EFI diet lifestyle) I tried smaller amounts of possible trigger foods. Most of them are not okay, but I found that I personally could handle green tea (one cup, not on an empty stomach) and avocado as part of a meal.

I think that whenever I tried to cheat the diet, it was because I felt annoyed that I had to think about food so much -- all the time, it felt like, for a while. EFI isn't mainstream American eating -- it was harder than weight watchers seemed to be for friends of mine on that program, but the results -- feeling healthy, not being scared of food anymore -- were worth it.

I'd suggest getting blood drawn and your vitamin levels checked. I take B12 as a precaution, but this past summer found out that my vitamin D levels were down in the gutters -- that made a huge difference to know.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#360983 - 09/17/10 04:13 AM
Allisonmary

Thanks so much for your reply.
So for you, you find that it is not necessarily the content of insoluble/souluble fiber or fructose in a food that determines if it is safe for you or not.. but each individual food gets a different reaction? Like you can eat broccoli but not peas. So obviously it has nothing to do with the fructose or fiber but the individual protein in the food I guess? Why do you think this is? Maybe I should try differnt vegetables then. I just thouhgt if I cant handle very well the insoluble content in even cooked carrots which have a lot of soluble fiber then broccoli would be worse but maybe this is not the case.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2800

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review