All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Starting EFI diet
      #360774 - 09/05/10 08:43 AM
LilyWhizz

Reged: 09/05/10

Hullo,

I've recently happened upon Heather's site and have been trying the EFI diet. I started ten days ago and do feel somewhat less bloated and my abdomen has been less distended. However, my stomach does still "grow" a bit every time I eat, even if it's just a small bowl of plain white rice. C still a problem. I don't get particularly bad abdominal pain most of the time, usually only if I eat something high fat, my main problem is the distention. I know from Heather's site that C can take a few weeks to get better, but I was wondering if I should expect to continue to get distention every time I eat, even if I don't get stomach cramps. Is this due to the gastrocolic reflex?
For info, I've been eating mainly white rice, pretzels, bananas and some white bread. Plenty of fennel or other caffeine-free teas. I have ordered Tummy Fibre and Heather's fennel tea, though these haven't arrived yet, as I'm in the UK.
So I suppose I'm wondering whether the distention is something that will gradually stop happening as my gut stabilises, or should it not happen if I don't eat trigger foods?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Lily

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and distention

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Starting EFI diet new
      #360775 - 09/05/10 09:29 AM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Hi Lily,
I think you'll find that you get a different response from everyone, as we are all a bit different. Overall though, I think the distension remains a problem for most of us, even when you get your C or D under control. From all of the research I have read, the bloat is one of the worst symptoms, and also the most difficult to treat. You sort of have to find out what makes it better or worse for you by playing with the diet. So, in short, trigger and non trigger foods cause distension for most of us. It's horribly disheartening. Hope this at least starts to answer your question.

#360836 - 09/08/10 11:23 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

Hi Lily, I find that the tummy fiber and fennel tea work best for keeping the bloat under control. glad you have some on the way!! it took probably a month before the fiber really started to help me. the fennel is great for when you are having tinges of pain/gas cramping, at least it works great for me.
even though there are things that help, it never totally goes away, and i agree that everyone is really very different. sometimes even though i am following the "rules" of the diet i still bloat. my IBS is about 5000 times worse when i am stressed/depressed...
i also HIGHLY RECOMMEND the self-hypnosis. i am only halfway thru it but it has helped tremendously. i hope some of this helps you and good luck~!!!!

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#360891 - 09/11/10 06:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Start working in small amounts of IF as safely as possible. Once the tea comes that will help a lot and drinking that hot water seems to help C too.
Cooked root veg, mushy peas, applesauce, canned peaches, etc. those are your next step.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2226

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review