All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What do you eat on a bad day?
      #360472 - 08/20/10 03:34 PM
minks

Reged: 08/08/10
Loc: Newport Beach, CA

I'm bloated and nothing is moving today. So what do I eat on days like this? I'm guessing no IF but do I want to add SF or just stick with what I have been doing and let it straighten itself out? I'm sure I"ll be ok tomorrow. And no I did not eat something bad, maybe just too much SF last night in the way of oat cereal.

--------------------
IBS-C Started out of the blue end of May 2010. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and GI problems are pretty common with that. I've been fairly lucky up til now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What do you eat on a bad day? new
      #360474 - 08/21/10 06:34 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

people are going to pounce on me for this, but I had the exact same problem a couple of days ago. I was foolish enough to eat celery and probably too much so all stopped working for two days and it was total deadlock. I hate IS fibre when it does this. Was feeling awful. The only thing that works in such a situation for me is milk. Best is warm/hot tea with milk. It just moves my bowels... (I can drink milk with any sort of tea and as I have insomnia, it's decaffeinated tea that I go for.)

I know milk's against the rules, but for people like us who have constipation, your bowels moving vigorously can be a blessing. I never eat dairy products except in emergencies like this.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#360484 - 08/21/10 08:00 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hmmm - are you using the laxative effect of lactose intolerance or diary protein intolerance to induce BMs? Probably not the best IBS symptom management strategy.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Chicken breast, white rice and boiled peeled carrots -nt- new
      #360485 - 08/21/10 08:01 AM
Syl

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#360486 - 08/21/10 09:01 AM
CellSalts_Work

definitely not and I know it's a vice! But I don't think I'm lactose intolerant. (that said have not had tests done recently) (but I am taking these cell salts, see my user name and they do contain minute doses of lactose and they never have an adverse effect on me and actually help a lot with all sorts of ailments?!)

I can't explain it but a little milk (never on its own though) has often served to oil things as it were. No other milk product has this effect and they would usually exacerbate the constipation. Esp cheese, not so much yoghurt. Milk in 'everything-stops situations' does not cause me diarrhoea btw, it just gets things moving, smoothly.

(any explanation?)

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360492 - 08/21/10 10:12 AM
Syl

A cup of milk contains about 12 grams of lactose which is very high compared to the small amount in cell salts. Even individuals with lactose intolerance may be able to tolerate the small amount in supplements and medicines. Hard cheeses are low in lactose but high in fat. Soft cheeses like cottage cheese are high in lactose and lower in fat. Yoghurt is low in lactose because of the fermentation from the probiotic bacteria. Lactose need not cause D - it could have a mild laxative effect in some individuals at lower doses.

--------------------

#360494 - 08/21/10 10:31 AM
CellSalts_Work

hmmm... thank you, just replied to another post of yours (partly) concerning this. I 'eat' 4-6g of lactose monohydrate a day through the cell salts.

I am not at all sure which cheese is worst for me, I don't like cheese to be honest, when I rarely had them I would go for something bland, like Swiss cheese. Soft cheese, not at all sure what effect that had on my IBS by comparison.

Red meat has often exacerbated my constipation, I assume that's because of the high fat content, so while it's merely conjecture I think the lactose does have a mild laxative effect on me, irrespective of whether I am lactose-intolerant, whereas fat makes me more constipated. This is corroborated by the fact that the food that launched my IBS-C in earnest was actually eggs... (with the yolk in there too..))

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360510 - 08/23/10 12:21 AM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

Rice. Rice. Rice. And when things get really bad, more rice.

White rice seems to be my be-all and end-all when it comes to safe foods. I usually put a little brown sugar on it just to give it a bit of flavor but I've been known to eat it plain. I also sometimes put a little safe margarine on it, but not when I'm having a day when I'm having horrible D. I also sometimes add a bit of baked/grilled chicken breast to it if I start to feel better. It mixes well with the brown sugar.

I can also eat unsweetened, natural applesauce and sometimes a banana.

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

#360515 - 08/23/10 02:29 AM
CellSalts_Work

the only thing I wonder about is could this work for someone with constipation? I know how weirdly enough, the same works for D and C when it comes to IBS, but when I have a real bad bout of IBS-C and nothing is moving and everything is terribly clogged up, eating rice has not really helped in getting things moving, and it can be even more bloating?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360540 - 08/23/10 07:51 PM
RSQ

Reged: 09/18/09

My sympathy for the IBS--you have enough health issues to deal with already. Even though I have the opposite type of IBS, on bad days I would slightly increase my Tummy Fiber intake, spread over three doses during the day, and then start with the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, white toast or rolls, and herbal tea), although that my not work for you. I highly recommend the 100-day hypnosis program for IBS. I haven't had a really bad day since May. It works on the subconscious to speed up or slow down gut motility, as needed for your specific condition. I'm not big on alternative medicine, but have revised my attitude to 'I'll try anything that has a good chance of offering improvement'. Everything I've tried on this website has been well worth the money!

--------------------
Stable IBD, probably triggered by antibiotics for diverticulitis in mid-2009. Tremendous improvement following 100-day hypnosis program, completed 7/10.

#360761 - 09/03/10 06:13 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

On a bad day I used to eat potato soup or oatmeal.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#360763 - 09/03/10 07:53 PM
PolkaDots

Reged: 12/09/09
Loc: TX

White rice, lean turkey or chicken, natural applesauce, banana, a safe bread, rice chex w/berries.

--------------------
Symptoms since '98
Diagnosed IBS-A 3/09
Stable since 10/09

#360776 - 09/05/10 09:49 AM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Hi cellsalts...
Just wanted to share that I am exactly like you as far as I have severe C and rice (along with several other SF's) absolutely make it worse. Rice is the worst culprit. Also, I am not lactose intolerant (although ironically that was one of my first problems in my early teens- no idea why I am not any longer). Milk/milk products are one of the few things I can tolerate with almost NO side effects. There is no fiber - either SF/IF so I have no reaction to that. There is basically only sugar- that goes down without a hitch since it dissolves in water, and milk, which I have no problem with. When I can't eat ANYTHING- I eat plain chocolate candy bars and ice cream and I am right as rain. It's terribly sad though because you can't live on those things, but they work for me 100% with no exceptions. My bowels start moving and my bloat goes away and I have NO symptoms. Sad that eating the worst foods for you makes me feel the best. Frustrating to try and be healthy.
Anyhow, long post, but to let you know, listen to YOUR body and do what works for it. The rules on the board are guidelines.... you have to cherry pick what works for you and ignore anyone who "tsk tsk's" at you. It's your suffering, and anyone who doesn't know what it's like to have cement insides has no room to judge.

#360777 - 09/05/10 12:03 PM
CellSalts_Work

I don't have a problem with rice, that may have been someone else contributing to this thread.
But yes chocolate with or without milk does help me too, except I just can't mentally tolerate food that is unhealthy and fattening like that, so I just don't eat it, I'd feel really guilty afterwards. The worst for me, and ironically this is why I am causing myself problems is that I pig out on healthy stuff like broccoli and cauliflower and other kinds of vegetables which do not cause me the same kind of problems fruit do, but they are still problematic. For us suffering from C, I have found that it's usually not attacks or no attacks, there are problems of varying severity, indicated by the thinness of one's stools (ie to what extent bowels are moving). (sorry for the explicit detail!) that is why I can't just say whether one food is triggering attacks or not, as so much depends on the amount of food I have, the number of times I eat per day, my psychological well-being, the last time I had apples/bananas, my fluid intake etc etc

And I have not had a test done yet, but I don't know what I'll do if I'm fructose intolerant as apples are a godsend.
And I definitely have problems with lactose or at least milk products

oh the depressing tone of this reply, sorry!

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360834 - 09/08/10 11:07 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

i sympathize with you! i feel bloated every day, but much better with the tummy fiber+ a couple cups of fennel tea each day.
for me:
brown rice, arrowroot crackers, brown rice protein powder drink, organic bananas, organic, unsweetened applesauce.

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#360846 - 09/08/10 02:40 PM
FraggleK

Reged: 09/08/10

How bad?

Worst evah: low fat low sodium chicken broth, jello, apple juice-- this was for when eating anything at all caused D.

But more normally: dairy free mashed potatoes, rice, applesauce, bananas, very lean white meat chicken cooked with the skin off

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 491 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6760

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review