All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Weight gain as a result of following IBS diet
      #360464 - 08/20/10 01:20 AM
Giver

Reged: 08/20/10

Hello, I looked through several pages but couldn't find an answer to this: I have followed the suggested soluable-fiber-first diet suggested here for a couple of years, and have experienced considerable weight gain.

This is probably coupled due to the fact that I have a quite stressful career (musician - on the road a lot = high stress from shows + travel), meaning that at times I exist for stretches on 90% soluable fiber products, I simply can't risk anything else.

Now I am trying to lose weight - I can't afford to be overweight in this business - but find in order to do it I need to eat foods which are total triggers. And when I go back on the road, the diet stops, the weight gain comes back, since without a diet composed mainly of soluable fibers I can't function.

Thus I guess my questions are:

1. How do you keep your weight down when existing on a (mainly) soluable fiber diet in high stress situations where travel prevents you often from eating slowly and with preparation?

2. Which soluable fiber combinations might be most helpful for weight loss?

3. I have mostly read on these pages about people who lose too much and can't gain. I find, after living this way for several years, that I go without food for a long time, but when the high-stress situation is over (4-5 hours of soundcheck/media/concert), I tend to overeat – late at night, often alone in a hotel room, sort of like 'revenge' for suffering through either a) not eating and forcing an energetic show with empty stomach b) eating but using Imodium to survive it, and having to battle with the energy-sucking nature of the drug through the show. I am certain this is not a scenario unique to the business I am in. Thus, in short: How can I beat the cycle of non-eating through stressful period/binge eating post-stressful period (which results in the weight gain)?

Thanks very much for any tips.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight gain as a result of following IBS diet new
      #360466 - 08/20/10 04:30 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

Pre-IBS I used to only eat wholewheat bread carb-wise and plenty of IS vegetables and chicken. (By and large) So this meant that I avoided carbs and I was always slim and when I first read about this diet my heart kind of sank, as it recommends all these carbs, like potatoes and rice and white bread. But I don't really have a choice, I guess a bowl of cauliflower with chicken breast is not going to do me any favours now.

What I've tried doing to keep slim is eat small amounts. Regardless of diet if you binge-eat you will put on weight as your famished body hangs onto and puts the excess 'energy' aside for a rainy day. You can't lose weight if you binge eat. Losing weight only happens if you never let yourself go hungry, eat very frequently (to get your metabolism going) and you eat the right food. If you have constipation as I do, then IBS itself prevents you from successful weight loss so that's why the right food can't be the normal 'fruits/ IF veggies and lean meat' that normal people may go for when they want to lose weight.

Oh, hope that some of this made sense. Never ever pig out, eat just enough of food that does not make you constipated and exercise when you want to lose weight.

(PS I always imagined that people with IBS-D at least don't have the problem of gaining weight because of IBS. I know that my IBS-C certainly has made me gain weight.)

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Re: Weight gain as a result of following IBS diet new
      #360471 - 08/20/10 01:54 PM
minks

Reged: 08/08/10
Loc: Newport Beach, CA

I'm new to the diet and this is not good news since I struggle to just maintain my weight when I was on the mega IF diet. I too binge out of boredom and even today for lunch ate a big bowl of rice instead of half and saving half. And having all this SF stuff around is not good for someone who craves carbs and eats out of boredom. Last night I had 3 bowls of cereal. What was I thinking?

I try to use those SF that are low in sugar. For example instead of Chex cereals I get organic like Natures Path. I am also starting to pay close attention to the calorie count. Prior to this I based my foods on Nutrisystem so I'm trying to figure this out based on NS.

I"m thinking of trying more protein but after one day I'm backed up again. It seems to be a fine line.

--------------------
IBS-C Started out of the blue end of May 2010. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and GI problems are pretty common with that. I've been fairly lucky up til now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1302 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1244

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review