All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questionable Diagnosis
      #360438 - 08/19/10 09:06 AM
Karen2

Reged: 08/16/10

I started with being nauseated, diarrhea, abdominal pain and tenderness. I can't press in on my abdominal area without having pain and tenderness. Recently they said it was IBS. Is not being able to press in on the abdomen without tenderness a typical symptom of IBS? Please tell me if this happens to any of you. Thanks much.

--------------------
Karen2 51yr-WF-IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questionable Diagnosis new
      #360440 - 08/19/10 09:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Were you diagnosed with IBS by a GI doctor or a GP? What tests did they do? For example, did they do any of the test Heather lists on this web page ?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360442 - 08/19/10 10:28 AM
Karen2

Reged: 08/16/10

I had endo, coolonoscopy, several labs. I do have diverticulae throughout my colon.None infected as we speak. Everyone talks about lower abdominal pain. Mine seems prevalent between belly button and stomach area, not what I would call lower. I was diagnosed by a GI doctor. But the same doctor gave me no information as far as what I should eat. It's like they want to slap a diagnosis on a person and get rid of them.

--------------------
Karen2 51yr-WF-IBS-A

#360443 - 08/19/10 10:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Sounds like you have a fairly thorough set of tests. Generally speaking GI doctors are not very good at giving dietary advice.

IBS pain can occur anywhere along the colon from the ascending colon on the right hand side, through the transverse colon below the stomach and through the descending colon on the left hand side. My pain is is on the right hand side.

Are you IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A? It is useful to put this information in you signature so we know what advice to give. Have you started to follow Heather's EFI (Eating for IBS) diet?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360457 - 08/19/10 07:21 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It sounds like it has started somewhat suddenly? I don't have a good feeling about it being IBS. I think you should get a second opinion.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#360543 - 08/23/10 08:18 PM
RSQ

Reged: 09/18/09

Diagnosing IBS correctly, means you've had every test known to doctors to rule out every other (horrendous) GI disease, and then the doctor diagnoses IBS by default (meaning it can't be anything else). That's how it went for me, last year, for three months of testing. My doctor is wonderful, but I don't think any doctors can really give you individualized management advice. Every IBS patient has a different set of symptoms, although some symptoms are common to many. Mine morphed along the way as I better learned to manage the condition. Blessings for Heather and this website. Without the fiber, a probiotic my doctor prescribed, the IBS diet, and the 100-day hypnosis program I wouldn't have stablized to the point where I feel really good most days, with the possible exceptions of bloating/gas (relatively minor afflictions in my world).

--------------------
Stable IBD, probably triggered by antibiotics for diverticulitis in mid-2009. Tremendous improvement following 100-day hypnosis program, completed 7/10.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4095 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2407

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review