All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
lactose
      #360425 - 08/18/10 06:56 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

According to the guidelines on this website dairy products should be eliminated. Is that because of the lactose? Does that mean that nothing containing lactose can ever be taken again? (such as medicine?)

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: lactose new
      #360429 - 08/19/10 01:27 AM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

I try to avoid milk products and lactose as much as humanly possible, mainly because they make me bloat up and give me gas and sometimes make my D worse. Some people are lactose intolerant, and some people can't eat any dairy even if they are not lactose intolerant, as dairy just upsets their stomachs.

Now, whether that is specific to lactose itself, I can't remember. I just know that I avoid dairy as much as possible, although sometimes some does sneak in.

I do take a calcium carbonate tablet every day to help make up for any that I might be missing through my non-dairy stance (as opposed to calcium citrate...I can't take ANY supplement with citrate in it).

Sometimes the best thing to do, IMO, is try a little and see if you do okay with it. Some people can handle a bite or two and some can't even handle the thought of dairy.

Probably didn't help much but I tried.

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

#360433 - 08/19/10 07:16 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Hi,

Heather explains here, http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/trigger2.asp, why dairy should be avoided on the EFI. It isn't just the lactose, although that can be a problem, the proteins whey and casein in dairy products can also cause digestive discomfort.

The evidence of the effects dairy products have on ibs symptons is not conclusive, however most people (healthy or otherwise)can only digest a certain amount of lactose.

If your following the EFI to the letter I would avoid dairy completely, however it is up to you if you want to try and introduce a small portion and gauge your symptons. Yoghurt would probably be better tolerated that milk as it has less lactose.

best wishes

Sx

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

#360436 - 08/19/10 08:22 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

Thank you!
I don't eat dairy at all, I asked because of another matter. it's actually in my user name, there are these biochemic tissue salts that I regularly take (for ailments other than IBS as well), but since they are little tablets to be dissolved under your tongue they contain lactose.
So I 'eat' 4-6g of lactose monohydrate a day. That is not an inordinate amount though I think...

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1823 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1577

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review