All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My goal- less sugar
      #360401 - 08/17/10 02:43 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Has anybody here tried to significantly cut down the amount of sugar they eat?

I eliminated high fructose corn syrup from my diet ages ago. However, I still find myself eating a lot of added sugar in the form of dried fruit, fruit juice, sorbet, and occasional baked goods. I find myself craving these things.

While added sugar doesn't seem to have any immediately negative effects on IBS or how you feel, I have read that it wreaks havoc with your insulin levels and also is inflammatory. Add on top of that it doesn't have any nutritional benefit.

So, my goal is no more fruit juice, avoid things with added sugar. I'll still have small amounts, as well as any fresh fruit or vegetables. I'm hoping this will curb my cravings and reduce IBS symptoms

Its also worth mentioning that I did at one time try eliminating fructose, which generally improved my symptoms (but nothing drastic). I have made a LOT of changes since then, so I'm not sure whether I should go the extra mile and also cut out fruits/veggies with high levels of fructose

thoughts?

Edited by mcem222 (08/17/10 02:46 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My goal- less sugar new
      #360419 - 08/18/10 09:07 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Sugar cravings! I know them well! I miss the lovely sweet taste from fruits high in fructose content.

It cannot hurt to remove foods high in excess fructose for a week or two. If it doesn't make a difference then you can put them back in your diet. If it does make a difference then you have one more tool in your arsenal of IBS symptom management techniques

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Question about fructose study new
      #360451 - 08/19/10 06:23 PM
mcem222

Hey Syl
I know you've answered a lot of these questions, but I just read the study in your signature, this one, and found it very interesting
http://sacfs.asn.au/download/SueShepherd_sarticle.pdf

The article seems to be about avoiding three things:
1. Foods with fructans
2. Foods with more fructose than glucose
3. Excessive fructose load from high amounts of sucrose

I'm not sure if the study included #3- it seems to say that once or twice, e.g. "Second, the total load of fructose was limited. This is irrespective of whether the food might have glucose equivalent to or in excess of fructose."

but also says "Foods that contain sucrose, or glucose in equal amounts to fructose, were not considered problematic"

The study made clear in the last paragraph that there were many ambiguities in the efficacy of each specific dietary change, and things like the placebo effect and psychological effects of empowerment aren't accounted for

So, I realize there are no "right" answers. But I have some questions Id like to bring up

1. If I am on a wheat-free diet, do I need to worry about other less significant sources of fructans (e.g. onions, leeks)
2. Would it be significant to avoid things with a lot of added sugar (via sucrose, fruit juice, white sugar), or do I really have to go the extra mile and eliminate fresh fruits and veggies with fructose>glucose.
For example, today I avoided fruit juice, a coconut desert with added sugar, and candied ginger w/ granulated sugar, but also had a lot of fruit, specifically mango, watermelon, pineapple, melon, dates, grapes & strawberries

I'm going to college next week- so my food world will be turned upside down. I won't have access to all these delicious fruits, but I'm still curious

Re: Question about fructose study new
      #360461 - 08/19/10 08:28 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hi,

1. Individual sensitivities vary. It is something you have to figure out for yourself.

2. In your point #3 you talked about excessive fructose load from 'high' amount of sucrose. I have not seen anything in the research to indicate what amount is considered 'high' enough to cause problems. I expect it is the many tens of grams of sucrose per day.

It is the 'extra mile' that makes the difference. Every molecule of fructose in a food that is not accompanied by a molecule of glucose is metabolized in a different way than when it is accompanied by glucose. The malabsorption occurs in this alternative metabolic mechanism. There is a good description of on page 56 of the reference below. You may find other things of interest in the article too.

You can determine your sensitivity to excess fructose by eliminating foods with more fructose than glucose for a couple of weeks. And then try introducing things like melons, applesauce, honey, etc and see what happens. Who knows you might not be sensitive at all.

Reference
Barrett, J. S. & Gibson, P. R. Malabsorption of Fructose and Other Short-chain Carbohydrates. Practical Gastroenterology (2007).

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360518 - 08/23/10 06:02 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I just started this same approach this morning! I was realizing there was added sugar in almost everything I was eating... for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So I am also attempting to stop this. So, it's nice to know someone else is trying this also!
I am keeping track of my food on sparkpeople.com which can help me be accountable for everything. I've decided to start this approach knowing I can have one sweet thing in the evenings-- so I got some little biscotti and will have one with some tea. That way I can go the whole day not stressing that I will never eat anything sweet again!
Good luck to you--how's it going so far?

--------------------
IBS-A

#360527 - 08/23/10 12:12 PM
mcem222

Hey Aly, good to know I'm not alone!

So far, its going well. I haven't had any juice for the last week (save 1 glass of OJ), and instead had only water and tea. My only vice has been candied ginger with sucrose. I cut out fruit with a lot of excess glucose, like mangoes and watermelon. All and all, I've been able to focus on better food

Also, I'm leaving for college in less than 24 hours. That should mix things up a bit

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2520 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2555

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review