All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rice whip
      #360278 - 08/13/10 05:16 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I am so excited Ifound Rice whip at Whole foods (it is dairy and soy free) It is pretty good I think. It is made mostly of rice products. The only questionable ingredient is coconut oil? It has 10 calories in 2 tablepoons and .5 grams fat. The percentage is more that 25% but do you think this would be ok especially since I would be putting it on something else? May sound weird but I put it on rice as a dessert with almond milk and salt and I love it.
Also, I asked this once before but I want to be clear about almond milk. If there is only 40 calories in a serving and 2.5 grams of fat, is this safe to drink alone?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rice whip new
      #360280 - 08/13/10 08:56 AM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

coconut oil is the best thing you can do for ibs.

#360282 - 08/13/10 09:11 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Rice Whip should be fine as long as you limit you oil/fat intake to about 20-25% of total calories per meal. 1 gram of fat equals 9 calories.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360289 - 08/13/10 12:21 PM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

Quote:

coconut oil is the best thing you can do for ibs.

Okay, now I have a question. On Heather's sheet of good and bad, coconut was on the list on "bad" foods to avoid. I have been avoiding anything with coconut oil in it because of this list. I ate something with coconut oil in it once and got horrendously sick, but maybe it was something else in it that made me sick. So...coconut oil, good or bad?

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

#360290 - 08/13/10 01:33 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Coconut is unsafe due to the insoluble fiber content. Coconut oil should be treated like any other oil. However, it is wise to treat it with caution as it contains mostly saturated fats which is unhealthy for other reasons. Here is what Heather says about oil/fat "it makes no difference to your gastrocolic reflex if you're eating lard or extra-virgin olive oil, it will make quite a difference to your heart and your health in general. Your body needs healthy fats in order to function. Keep your fat intake to 20% - 25% of your total calories, and make your fats count. They should be monounsaturated and contain essential fatty acids, so choose fat sources such as olive oil, canola oil, avocados, finely ground nuts, fatty fish, flax oil, etc. Because all fats, even heart-healthy choices, are still potential IBS triggers"

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360303 - 08/13/10 07:01 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There is new evidence that coconut has some strong health benefits. I don't have the details or can't remember them.
But for IBS it doesn't matter the type of oil/fat we eat but the quantity. Any fat that is over 25-30% of calories at a time is harmful. You can choose which fats make up your 25%. It is dangerous to think of some fats/oils as "healthy" because they still will trigger an attack if over 25-30% of your calories at one time. An example is flax seed oil- some people take it as a supplement but need to be careful since it is pure fat.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#360305 - 08/13/10 07:28 PM
fairleas

So how can you figure out the percentage of the oils/fats in a food? I know there is some mathematical formula but I can't remember it. And what if the coconut oil is mixed in with other oils? Which are "good" and which are to be avoided? Surely there are some which are worse than others. In other words, which are the "healthy" oils and which are the "unhealthy"? List form helps me visually process.

*edited for clarity*

--------------------
my blog

Edited by fairleas (08/13/10 07:30 PM)

#360308 - 08/13/10 11:07 PM
fairleas

Got it: For each serving, take the number of calories from fat and divide it by the total calories. (The example I found then said to multiply that by 100, but I find that part unnecessary...I can figure it out without having to mess with the decimal point.)

For example:

Calories: 150
Calories from fat: 80

Take 80 and divide it by 150: 80/150=0.53333

So 53% of the calories from this hypothetical food comes from fat.

--------------------
my blog

#360341 - 08/15/10 03:36 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Pretty close.
Technically there are 9 calories in each gram of fat. To convert the fat grams into calories multiply by 9 but when doing it in your head, 10 is easier.
Once you multiply by 9 you have the fat calories. Now this is on labels so you don't have to do the math. The fat calorie percentage of total calories should not exceed 30%. What is hard to know is the fat and calories of something without a label, like a dinner out.
Over the years my eyes and stomach can tell me a lot about a meal out. Sometimes it arrives at table all shiny which singles it is too oily. Other times I take a bite and can detect butter. Over the years I have been able to learn to detect small amounts of butter as well as a drug sniffing dog sniffs drugs out. Your mouth and tummy just signal to each other a meal is too fatty somehow! Then I stop eating and go back to bread or plain rice.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 418 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3378

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review