All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
All Soluble Fiber cleansing diet help
      #360220 - 08/10/10 04:06 PM
minks

Reged: 08/08/10
Loc: Newport Beach, CA

I'm going to try the all soluble fiber diet for a few days once I get my peppermint caps. Am I right that it is all carbs and no protein?

Any suggestions on what to get at Trader Joes? I don't cook much.

Also, I was wondering if anyone would like to be my mentor. I do better one on one when I'm starting something new. I have so many questions and I'm feeling overwhelmed. Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C Started out of the blue end of May 2010. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and GI problems are pretty common with that. I've been fairly lucky up til now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: All Soluble Fiber cleansing diet help new
      #360221 - 08/10/10 04:17 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might consider trying Heather's How can I break the cycle of attacks approach. It isn't a completely soluble fiber diet because it includes some protein.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360222 - 08/10/10 04:58 PM
minks

Hi Syl, that's the one I was going to use. I didn't see any protein but I'll look again. This is a dream for pasta lovers!

All suggestions that require little cooking welcome.

--------------------
IBS-C Started out of the blue end of May 2010. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and GI problems are pretty common with that. I've been fairly lucky up til now.

#360225 - 08/10/10 05:43 PM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

I'd suggest getting a rice cooker. You can make up anything from small, two-serving amounts to enough to feed the whole family in no time at all and with little muss and fuss.

The one I have is a Black & Decker (I think)...it comes with a cup to measure with. For myself, I just twice fill that little cup about three-quarters full of plain white rice and dump it into the cooker. Then I measure water into it up to the 2 line on the "Other Rice" side (they are plainly marked...one is "Brown Rice" and one is "Other Rice"). Put the lid on, plug it in, push down the lever to "cook", and wait. About twenty minutes later, I gots healthy, SF-full white rice. I normally put some brown sugar on mine...if I remember correctly, that is okay for IBS. I do sometimes put a little Smart Balance Light on it along with the brown sugar, but you might not want to do that just yet.

It's easy wash and easy store and easy cook. No real cooking skill involved.

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

#360226 - 08/10/10 05:46 PM
fairleas

A plain baked potato is also good, as long as you don't eat the skin. For a while, at the beginning of my eating plan, I ate lots of plain baked potatoes with just a little salt. I can add some Smart Balance Light now and a touch of fakie sour cream (Tofutti brand), but you might want to hold off on that.

I THINK there is a potato that you can eat the skin of, but I can't remember which one. Maybe it's the small red potatoes?

--------------------
my blog

#360229 - 08/10/10 07:30 PM
minks

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll put rice cooker on my list but will use my cast iron for now.

I have a few questions. Can I use brown rice? Can I use broth as liquid? Why no potato skin? Also, I do not eat soy so I'm open to suggestions.

My concern also is that I get candida easily so all this "sugar" concerns me. Hope to get out tomorrow.

Thanks.

--------------------

#360230 - 08/10/10 08:12 PM
fairleas

Quote:

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll put rice cooker on my list but will use my cast iron for now.

I have a few questions. Can I use brown rice? Can I use broth as liquid? Why no potato skin? Also, I do not eat soy so I'm open to suggestions.

My concern also is that I get candida easily so all this "sugar" concerns me. Hope to get out tomorrow.

Thanks.

From what I remember...brown rice is a no-no. It's basically rice with the bran left on, so since rice bran is out then brown rice is out as well.

Potato skin is where a lot of IF lives. You want the SF that is in the meaty part of the potato. Same with most fruits and veg.

I think you can use broth as a liquid, as long as it doesn't have MSG or other bad additives. Making your own might be the best, since most prepackaged or powdered broth is high in sodium and might have MSG. There are some natural ones out there, though.

A lot of the stuff we've been told is "good" for us turns out to be just the opposite for those of us with IBS. They tell us brown rice is good for our health...except for those of us with IBS. Eat the skins of potatoes and fruits, that is where the vitamins are...oh wait, IBS sufferers can't handle those. It's all very topsy-turvy. You've got to unlearn a lot of what we've been told to accept...but that's okay, because your gut will thank you for it.

--------------------
my blog

#360238 - 08/11/10 10:10 AM
minks

Thanks so much for the info. All of this will start to sink in. I just got back from Trader Joes so I'm good. Last night I had a potato and small amount of meat and this morning oatmeal. This is the longest I've gone without cramps or bloating in ages!

My current question is this. I have a slamming headache. Could that be from 'detoxing" off wheat? Nothing else is new so I'm just wondering.

Has anyone dealt with candida from this diet? That is a concern for me with all this white stuff.

Again, thanks for the support.

--------------------

#360248 - 08/11/10 01:18 PM
minks

Fairleas, bought the 3 cup rice cooker you suggested today from Amazon. Should have it next week. Thanks for the suggestion.

--------------------

#360254 - 08/11/10 10:13 PM
fairleas

Quote:

Fairleas, bought the 3 cup rice cooker you suggested today from Amazon. Should have it next week. Thanks for the suggestion.

You're welcome. I can't live without my rice cooker now. That and my microwave (for potatoes) have become my two best kitchen friends.

It took me a while to really figure out what I can and can't eat, and I'm still working it out. Rice and a nice plain chicken breast is my fall-back dinner when I know nothing else can be eaten. Bake the chicken breast in the oven for about 30-40 minutes...easy peasy. You don't even have to put any sort of seasoning on it if you don't want.

You'll figure it out. There will always be some fall-back foods for you, the trick is finding out which ones they are. For me, white rice is the be-all and end-all.

--------------------
my blog

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2423 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4755

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review