All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
what works for me
      #360157 - 08/08/10 08:09 AM
Jenny1032

Reged: 05/24/10

I was introduced to Heather's program about six months ago. I feel so much better. I am IBS-C. My condition has improved dramatically. I have found a gentle balance, where I do some of Heather's suggestions, but not all. It is a plan that I can stick to, and I don't feel deprived. I am fortunate to be able to take this medium approach. I thought it might work for some others.

Eliminated:
* All Dairy
* All Red Meat
* Coffee
* Whole grain breads

Changed:
* How I eat, especially the order that I eat food
* Eat soluble fibers first
* Snack on puffed rice between meals
* Eat oatmeal for breakfast
* Eat vegetables cooked versus raw

Added:
* Heather's peppermint tabs before meals
* Heather's fennel tea, sip it throughout the day
* probiotic pill in the mornings
* a short "walkabout" after meals

What I haven't changed:
* Several glasses of wine with dinner (always eat several slices of french bread first)
* fruit. I love peaches, apricots, watermelon, blueberries, strawberries, apples
* Occasional salad. I love raw greens (although I most often save this for dessert!)
* Eat out often
* Nibble on ingredients (like raw vegetables) while I am cooking

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what works for me new
      #360165 - 08/09/10 08:38 AM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

Seems like this makes a lot of sense, except for the raw veggies and salad. That does not bother you? I also like to have a glass of wine with my dinner. So you feel that it helps you to have a slice of bread or a soluble fiber before you drink your wine? My particular symptoms of IBS have been diarrhea for a long time. I have recently started fiber supplements, which have bulked up my stools-so no more D. That is a blessing, but I am still fighting with the gas and cramping that comes with the increase in fiber. Thanks for the post! I have never been able to commit myself to this diet 100% (laziness-time constraints-other normal eaters in house) so it is encouraging to know that some people have success with smaller modifications. Amy.

--------------------

#360176 - 08/09/10 01:49 PM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

You wrote:
"I have never been able to commit myself to this diet 100%"

My daughter is SOOOO jealous of anybody who can say that! It would be such a luxury to her to have the option of being less than 100% commited! It must be hard to believe but that really makes you lucky from where she's sitting!
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

#360177 - 08/09/10 02:00 PM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

I understand where you are coming from-and in no way do I mean to be flippant or insensitive RE: your daughter's condition-but I don't feel that it is a "luxury" to have IBS and to be plagued with these symptoms. What I mean is that I have gone through life miserable much of the time due to not being totally committed to the diet. It is a choice I made-and also a weakness-that I am unable to give up certain foods and would rather tolerate the pain than do so. I just know that at some point I WILL commit because I will get tired of the gas, cramping, etc. I feel you need to realize that following this diet is a struggle for some people-just like losing weight. It is very hard to have the strength to just say, "I'm tired of suffering, so I'm going to give up half of the things that I love to eat". I am taking it day by day right now. Can anyone out there understand where I am coming from?

--------------------

#360181 - 08/09/10 05:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I eat tons of fruit- its fine with SF first and for many raw veggies with SF first are ok too. I actually can handle a good amount of IF on a happy tummy.
However, wine is the worst! I am absolutely allergic to it and completely can't have it. I don't see any reason why it isn't just IBS and not an actual food allergy. No one in my family has food allergies.
I love gourmet food and want to seem urbane and educated when travelling and eating out but can't order wine. It is embarrassing in a way but at least it is less expensive! (looking at bright side).

Still if you feel you have some symptoms still remaining, you owe it to yourself to go a little further than medium and hone yourself to follow the diet more completely. If you have symptoms now and they can improve- how great would that be!?

PS. Nibbling when cooking is a great thing to do! Nibbling is what our guts want. As long as it isn't fried or too fatty foods on an empty stomach then nibbling is a good thing.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#360189 - 08/09/10 06:47 PM
Legalgirl

Reged: 08/09/10

Thank you for the reply. I am truly working on it. Here's to day one of "trying to do better".

#360190 - 08/09/10 06:49 PM
Legalgirl

Reged: 08/09/10

I'm the same as Ericasmom. I haven't figured out yet why it's giving me two names. Maybe because I used the computer at work.

Re: what works for me/for ericasmom new
      #360203 - 08/09/10 08:38 PM
kem

Oh, dear, please excuse me - I was actually trying to cheer you up and somehow it came out all wrong! I know only too well that ibs is no luxury (!) for anybody in reality, for sure. So sorry if I caused any more stress when I was really trying to do the opposite! (I guess now I AM one of those well-meaning people who said the wrong thing. )
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

Re: what works for me/for ericasmom new
      #360207 - 08/10/10 06:01 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Kem, your daughter is very lucky to have a mom like you who is so willing to help her with the diet. I'm sure you do a great job at making her all safe foods. But yea it is really difficult to eat perfectly when its only up to you; when you have trigger foods all around the house and when people try to convince you that something is fine when its not. They say,
"Oh, you'll be finee"..I hate that!

Re: eating perfectly, etc. new
      #360214 - 08/10/10 11:39 AM
kem

Quote:

mom . . . who is so willing to help her with the diet

Well, actually, as I say, as I look at it, it wasn't/isn't really so much a matter of being willing, but rather a matter of desperation! I don't wish that desperation upon anyone! Although I do understand when some people will say that some of us have needed that to motivate us to do what we needed to do . . . it's just a slippery and difficult place to navigate and obviously even to talk about mindfully!

Quote:

They say,"Oh, you'll be fine"..I hate that!

Yes, we certainly experience that, too, of course! It's very hard!
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1735 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6707

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review