All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
delayed food reactions
      #359943 - 07/25/10 06:48 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I would say that most of my IBS pain is from delayed food reactions I have seemed to link to fructose, insoluble fiber and too much wheat. Becasue my diet is so limited right now, I am continuing to eat a good deal of wheat although I am trying to cut back. I also run 50-60 miles a week and need to make sure to get carbs. Often times when I go for a run I will feel ok and then by the end of the run, my stomach gets crampy and starts to feel like I have a pocket of air in my lower abdomen.
I know there is no way for anyone to really know for sure, but do you think this reaction, being at the end of my run, is from something I just ate or from something I ate the day before? When I stop its usually ok although some days it will hurt real bad for the entire day, like a crampy feeling in my stomach and into the groin/lower back.
Any opinions of what this could be from? I can't seem to pinpoint it to anything in particular which is why I think it may be from a little too much wheat or insolubles from the day before. Any suggestions?? thanks:)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: delayed food reactions new
      #359948 - 07/26/10 05:44 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Have you tried really restricting your consumption of insoluble fiber? I find that seriously restricting insoluble fiber in my diet makes a big difference. Also, while I eat less wheat I have not cut it out of my diet. I eat about the equivalent of a slice of bread with each meal with no problems. Do you have the same problems on the days that you don't run too?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359949 - 07/26/10 07:09 AM
Allisonmary

Yea, taking out insolubles takes away a lot of the cramping feeling I think but I know fiber is important and I never have anything with more insoluble than solube. I did serioulsly cut down.. all I really have lately is bananans and potatoes. When I cut out the farina with wheat germ in the mornings, I did not get cramps as bad, it was the same type of feeling.
If I didn't run, I would not get the cramping so bad, but I would most likely have an uncomfortable feeling in my lower stomach later on in the day. Like I had to go to the bathroom but couldn't.
I really need to find more stuff I can eat! You think you get enough fiber?

#359950 - 07/26/10 07:20 AM
Allisonmary

One thing I jsut thought of that I have been eating more of lately is organic animal crackers. One of the ingredients is brown rice syrup. The fiber content is only <1 gram though. Could this be a problem? I usually eat about 6 crackers at a time.

#359951 - 07/26/10 07:23 AM
Syl

I get plenty of fiber considering my IBS-D. I have tried a variety of methods to increase the insoluble fiber in my diet including more SF and pureeing IF foods. Unfortunately, nothing not works. However, nearly every fruit, veggie and non-whole grain cereals have more or equal amounts of IF compared to SF so I am always getting some IF. IF seems to be more problematic for individuals with IBS-D than IBS-C. FYI - wheat germ is a definite trigger for me due to its high IF content. As long as you get a fairly good amount of high SF and functional fiber foods even though IF is significant reduced you may find your symptoms are more controllable.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#359953 - 07/26/10 07:29 AM
Syl

Brown rice syrup shouldn't be a problem due to IF but I am unsure how much if any excess fructose it contains. I will do some research and see what I can find.

--------------------

Brown rice syrup new
      #359954 - 07/26/10 07:44 AM
Syl

doesn't have excess fructose. It is 45% maltose, 3% glucose, and 52% maltotriose. All of these sugars are only composed of glucose molecules.

--------------------

Re: Brown rice syrup new
      #359965 - 07/27/10 03:32 AM
Allisonmary

Thanks alot for the infoSyl..the crackers also have aunflower oil which I still wonder if that is completely safe for me becasue rice milk tends to bother me and that also has the oil. How do you do with this?
I really need to start making my own things from scratch because it seems like everything has something bad!
I know that the meal replacement drinks usually have either dairy or soy as a base.. but do you use or know any recipes to make your own meal replacement type drink? If I used almond drink as a base, do you have any ideas of things I could add for extra nutrition?
Have you tried any super food powders?

#359973 - 07/27/10 10:35 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

There is something called runners D.

What causes runner's diarrhea? And what can I do about it?
Answer
from Edward R. Laskowski, M.D.
Runner's diarrhea is characterized by frequent, loose bowel movements during or immediately after a run.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/runners-diarrhea/AN00376

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#359985 - 07/28/10 05:43 AM
Syl

I use to think oil/fat in small amounts was a trigger. However, once I started to manage fructose, insoluble fiber, preservatives, artificial sweeteners & flavors, soy and gassy veggies I found I could handle a considerable amount of oil of any kind. It took about a year or so. A factor that did make a big difference was preparing my own meals and not buying many prepared foods.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions on drinks or super foods powders. I don't use supplements and as I mentioned earlier I don't consume prepare foods except on rare occasion when I know all the ingredients they contain are safe for me.

--------------------

#359994 - 07/28/10 11:16 AM
Allisonmary

Ok thanks, good to know.
I found this cereal called organic o's. It is made only of oats and rice flour, no corn ingredients. It has 1 gram soluble and 1 gram insoluble per serving. Would you be able to eat something like this. I know it has some insoluble but its better than getting a cereal that has corn right? Im just trying to find some new foods to eat!

#359996 - 07/28/10 11:33 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

IBS is NOT caused by "delayed food reactions", although it may be a trigger via mast cells in the gut that could contribute to pain. Foods problems activate whats called the mast cell in the gut. It releases histimine unto the smooth muslce and contributes to pain in IBS. The same mechanism that stressors activates the mast cells in the gut. But this is only part of a bigger problem in IBS.

Did you read about runners D. Running can impact the gut.

I use to play soccer and was going professional and this happened to me a lot, it wasn't the foods, although eating before or after may play a role in how it felt and contribute. People without IBS can have issues with this and even more so in IBS, because the bowel is overreactive TO ALL STIMULI.

In IBS the colon contracts abnormally.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Re: corn?? new
      #359999 - 07/28/10 11:38 AM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

Allisonmary just asked: "I know it has some insoluble but its better than getting a cereal that has corn right?"

I'm thinking . . . There are plenty of wonderful organic corn-based cereals that have NO insoluble fiber! Exact names excape me, at the moment, but I'm thinking of things like Crispix and Corn Chex-like stuff, not to mention polenta, which I can imagine might actually be comforting for some IBS folks (though we haven't tried it). Isn't this so?
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

#360001 - 07/28/10 12:27 PM
Syl

Frequently corn flour made from dehulled corn is used in cereal which should be safe. Whole kennel corn is high in IF and best avoided.

Which Health Valley cereal are you referring to?

--------------------

#360010 - 07/29/10 03:39 AM
Allisonmary

The cereal is called Organic Morning O's.
Im sorry I always thought corn was more insoluble than oats. I would always avoid products with corn on the label. NOw Im confused.
Isn't cornmeal risky?

#360011 - 07/29/10 03:46 AM
Allisonmary

Thanks,
Yes Ive heard of runners D and Ive experienced in after marathons and high intensity races. This is a little bit different though, more like a bad cramp. I think eating before definetely contributes..usually the pain is in my large intestine though so I feel like whatever it is that is bothering me, has already been digested.

#360013 - 07/29/10 05:28 AM
Syl

Corn meal is on the soluble fiber list. And here Heather says Oatmeal, brown rice, and corn meal (polenta) tend to be the best-tolerated whole grains for IBS. I would be careful though because corn meal is still high in IF. I can only eat very small amounts. Kernel corn with the husk on is unsafe. I hope that helps.

Sorry I could find any information on 365 Organic Morning O's on the web. What are the ingredients?

--------------------

#360033 - 07/29/10 07:34 PM
Allisonmary

Ah no way, brown rice is on the soluble fiber list? I can not have even a bit of that! Im not so sure about the cornmeal though. The ingredients of the organic o cereal are organic whole grain oats, organic rice flour, organic sugar, salt, calcium carbonate, Vitamin E and other vitamins. Is one usually more tolerable than the other, oats or corn?
Would you personally try a cereal like this? I had a handful of it and experienced no pain but I could swear I got a little bloated from that little bit.
Also, I was wondering about bloating. If a food causes you bloating with no pain, is it likely to cause someone with IBS pain later on either the next day or casue loose stools/constipation. In other words, is bloating a sign that the intestines are stressed?

#360040 - 07/30/10 05:20 AM
Syl

Yea - brown rice is a big no no for me too. Sure, I would give organic o's a try. The ingredients look friendly I believe oats is more tolerable than corn because it has more resistant starch and less IF per unit weight. However, while this is true for cooked oatmeal it is not clear to me that the same is true for cold oat cereals. Bloating is one of the most common complaints of IBS. Not sure if it means the bowel is distressed or if due to miscommunication between the brain and the gut. It could simply be a result of misperceived information from the visceral sensations in the gut. If they knew the answer to that question then they might know the answer to the cause of IBS

--------------------

Re: CELIAC? new
      #360056 - 07/31/10 08:17 AM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

U should get tested...a lot of IBSrs have gluten problems

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3446 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7428

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review