All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
delayed food reactions
      #359943 - 07/25/10 06:48 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I would say that most of my IBS pain is from delayed food reactions I have seemed to link to fructose, insoluble fiber and too much wheat. Becasue my diet is so limited right now, I am continuing to eat a good deal of wheat although I am trying to cut back. I also run 50-60 miles a week and need to make sure to get carbs. Often times when I go for a run I will feel ok and then by the end of the run, my stomach gets crampy and starts to feel like I have a pocket of air in my lower abdomen.
I know there is no way for anyone to really know for sure, but do you think this reaction, being at the end of my run, is from something I just ate or from something I ate the day before? When I stop its usually ok although some days it will hurt real bad for the entire day, like a crampy feeling in my stomach and into the groin/lower back.
Any opinions of what this could be from? I can't seem to pinpoint it to anything in particular which is why I think it may be from a little too much wheat or insolubles from the day before. Any suggestions?? thanks:)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: delayed food reactions new
      #359948 - 07/26/10 05:44 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Have you tried really restricting your consumption of insoluble fiber? I find that seriously restricting insoluble fiber in my diet makes a big difference. Also, while I eat less wheat I have not cut it out of my diet. I eat about the equivalent of a slice of bread with each meal with no problems. Do you have the same problems on the days that you don't run too?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359949 - 07/26/10 07:09 AM
Allisonmary

Yea, taking out insolubles takes away a lot of the cramping feeling I think but I know fiber is important and I never have anything with more insoluble than solube. I did serioulsly cut down.. all I really have lately is bananans and potatoes. When I cut out the farina with wheat germ in the mornings, I did not get cramps as bad, it was the same type of feeling.
If I didn't run, I would not get the cramping so bad, but I would most likely have an uncomfortable feeling in my lower stomach later on in the day. Like I had to go to the bathroom but couldn't.
I really need to find more stuff I can eat! You think you get enough fiber?

#359950 - 07/26/10 07:20 AM
Allisonmary

One thing I jsut thought of that I have been eating more of lately is organic animal crackers. One of the ingredients is brown rice syrup. The fiber content is only <1 gram though. Could this be a problem? I usually eat about 6 crackers at a time.

#359951 - 07/26/10 07:23 AM
Syl

I get plenty of fiber considering my IBS-D. I have tried a variety of methods to increase the insoluble fiber in my diet including more SF and pureeing IF foods. Unfortunately, nothing not works. However, nearly every fruit, veggie and non-whole grain cereals have more or equal amounts of IF compared to SF so I am always getting some IF. IF seems to be more problematic for individuals with IBS-D than IBS-C. FYI - wheat germ is a definite trigger for me due to its high IF content. As long as you get a fairly good amount of high SF and functional fiber foods even though IF is significant reduced you may find your symptoms are more controllable.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#359953 - 07/26/10 07:29 AM
Syl

Brown rice syrup shouldn't be a problem due to IF but I am unsure how much if any excess fructose it contains. I will do some research and see what I can find.

--------------------

Brown rice syrup new
      #359954 - 07/26/10 07:44 AM
Syl

doesn't have excess fructose. It is 45% maltose, 3% glucose, and 52% maltotriose. All of these sugars are only composed of glucose molecules.

--------------------

Re: Brown rice syrup new
      #359965 - 07/27/10 03:32 AM
Allisonmary

Thanks alot for the infoSyl..the crackers also have aunflower oil which I still wonder if that is completely safe for me becasue rice milk tends to bother me and that also has the oil. How do you do with this?
I really need to start making my own things from scratch because it seems like everything has something bad!
I know that the meal replacement drinks usually have either dairy or soy as a base.. but do you use or know any recipes to make your own meal replacement type drink? If I used almond drink as a base, do you have any ideas of things I could add for extra nutrition?
Have you tried any super food powders?

#359973 - 07/27/10 10:35 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

There is something called runners D.

What causes runner's diarrhea? And what can I do about it?
Answer
from Edward R. Laskowski, M.D.
Runner's diarrhea is characterized by frequent, loose bowel movements during or immediately after a run.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/runners-diarrhea/AN00376

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Re: Brown rice syrup new
      #359985 - 07/28/10 05:43 AM
Syl

I use to think oil/fat in small amounts was a trigger. However, once I started to manage fructose, insoluble fiber, preservatives, artificial sweeteners & flavors, soy and gassy veggies I found I could handle a considerable amount of oil of any kind. It took about a year or so. A factor that did make a big difference was preparing my own meals and not buying many prepared foods.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions on drinks or super foods powders. I don't use supplements and as I mentioned earlier I don't consume prepare foods except on rare occasion when I know all the ingredients they contain are safe for me.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3208 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7428

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review