All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: sensitivity question new
      #359688 - 07/11/10 10:17 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hey there Jen, good to hear from you. HSP's aren't just sensitive folks, as in crying at a sad movie. And I think most are sensitive to a point. HSP's are hypersensitive to the world around them. The world just overwhelms them, and it certainly sounds like you.

I used to make lists for my days and I have come to realize that I can't schedule more than one or two tasks in a day. It has taken me some time to realize this. I am best when I just need to do one thing a day. At family get-togehters, afterward I am a mess for a week...need to hole up in the bedroom and do nothing. Its almost like sensory or nervous system overload.

If you get a chance, read the book that I spoke about in this thread. It will enlighten you. I believe she stated that this is about 20% of the population. I also think she said it has been added to the DSM as a diagnosis, but it has been awhile since I read the book.

Hope you are well!!! Geri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#359779 - 07/17/10 05:03 PM
wizard41681

Reged: 05/13/10
Loc: texas

Sounds like me through and through. I wish I could say that it gets better but it doesn't what I can tell you is that it helps when you get older to find a career that will not only allow you to use both the detail and creativity but one that requires it really helps to create an outlet.

--------------------
IBS-D with gas

sensitivity question- but did you get MORE sensitive after IBS? new
      #359784 - 07/18/10 03:30 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I like many others have always been sensitive in many ways, but not until my IBS took over my life have I become hyper sensitive to smell, chemicals, noises, crowds and many other things. I just feel like the IBS is such an overload already to my nervous system that I just can't handle anymore stimulus. Anyhow else become MORE sensitive after IBS?

Re: sensitivity question
      #359802 - 07/19/10 05:56 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

OMG is she my neice?! My neice is exactly the same and used to rip all her clothes off as soon as she got off of school and into the car. Tags and other touchy things bothered her a lot and she is also very artistic and has other sensitive and emotional traits. I can't remember the exact thing she was diagnosed with. It was very mild and sort of related to autism. Not anyway near autism but somewhere in the same family. She had treatment including skin brushing IIRC and is much better now at 12.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#359803 - 07/19/10 06:01 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

kem,

Parent's Thoughts and Worries about Recurrent Abdominal Pain

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/collateral/parents_thoughts_and_worries.pdf

Frequent stomachaches in children: a reason for concern?

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/collateral/frequent_stomaches_in_children.pdf

You should REALLY watch this video.

https://uncfunctionalgi.net/xmedia/player.php

In IBS emotions are very important.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#359807 - 07/19/10 06:30 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Kem, I wasn't able to read all the posts, but if someone didn't post this to you here, you should really watch it as well. Someone else posted it to the bb here, but wanted to make sure you saw it, because your daughter can find things to help and its good the earlier the better in life.

http://www.researchchannel.org/prog/displayevent.aspx?rID=26275&fID=1698

on the left you need to choose quicktime or windows media.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#360109 - 08/04/10 02:06 PM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Wow...this is a great thread...just came across it! I, too am ULTRA sensitive and can relate to most of these posts...always have been!!

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#360478 - 08/21/10 06:46 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

Just came across this!

I am hyper-sensitive too, body-wise, skin-wise, emotion-wise, temper-wise and am very perceptive. I also used to have mild depression and mild OCD a couple of years ago. I am absolutely aware that my IBS is due to psychological problems and the brain-gut component of the disease is definitely acutely valid in my case. My IBS started after a great emotional upheaval and I just know how my mood alters my bowel movements now and how my digestion always used to be hypersensitive as well. As for being artistic, I used to draw and was involved in all sorts of creative stuff when younger and I studied/work in the humanities now so I guess that would be true to a certain extent as well.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Re: sensitivity question- but did you get MORE sensitive after IBS? new
      #360479 - 08/21/10 06:48 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

I have become perhaps slightly more sensitive, but not too much. Esp if my IBS is under control I am just as sensitive as I used to be pre-IBS.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2237 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13524

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review