All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Inflammation identified in ibs new
      #360684 - 08/30/10 05:33 PM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

New research revealed:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-08/tum-pta081910.php

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Comprehensive video from stanford univ. on ibs causes new
      #360685 - 08/30/10 10:36 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

Have by no means read all the replies to this post, but just a note on the debate. From what I'v observed the definition of IBS is largely arbitrary. In the broadest sense, it has been applied to any kind of chronic digestive disturbance that has no other explanation.

For my own part, I absolutely have my own IBS due to psychological problems, ie the brain-gut element is acutely valid in my case. I have often had empirical evidence of this over the years in that more emotional harmony in my life led to things going smoothly in the bathroom area as well. Besides, I had symptoms indicative of disturbed seratonin levels well before IBS struck and when I still had no digestive issues whatsoever. I think the problem may often lie with the nature of the umbrella term that is IBS and its ambiguous definition.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#360687 - 08/31/10 05:03 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Just for clarification. The brain-gut dysfunction is a physiological dysfunction not a psychological dysfunction. However, psychological disorders and stress can exacerbate the physiological brain-gut dysfunction. If you read the article linked to in the last posting in this thread you will see the latest in a long list of research evidence that illustrates IBS is a physiological not a psychological disorder.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360689 - 08/31/10 06:55 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Isn't this the first evidence for a physical abnormality in the gut for IBSers? Maybe some progress is being made.

Cheers

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#360691 - 08/31/10 07:45 AM
Syl

There has been other evidence. In the body of the paper in the first paragraph the authors talk about a few other disease mechanism some of which have physical evidence associated with them. For example microscopic abnormalities have been seen in individuals with post-infectious IBS. Some of the authors of the paper published previous research on the role of mast cells which likely set the stage for the current research that was reported. Here is what the authors say "Currently, disease mechanisms involve components of the central nervous system, peripheral organ dysfunction and altered visceral sensitivity, prior enteric infections, microscopic abnormalities in the gut wall and/or signs of low-grade mucosal inflammation and immune imbalance and an impaired mucosal barrier function."

The findings report in the article you linked to is a particularly interesting physiological finding. It will be interesting to see how this line of investigation proceeds.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#360695 - 08/31/10 11:05 AM
CellSalts_Work

But if it is not psychological but is physiological, does that mean that hypnosis for instance cannot cure IBS? (or any other remedy of the sort like mediation/relaxation should not even help?) I apologise, I think I am unsure to what these terms mean. Physiological for instance, what exactly does that mean?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360696 - 08/31/10 12:27 PM
Syl

Physiological means IBS has an organic or biological basis as opposed to a psychological or mental basis. There isn't a cure for IBS. So hypnosis and meditation/relaxation cannot cure IBS. They are techniques for managing symptoms just like diet and cognitive behavior therapy which aren't cures either.

Consider the article linked to in the last posting in this thread. Cells were collected from the colon of IBS-D, IBS-C and normal individuals from biopsies. Extracts from these cells were applied to nerves from the gut. The extract from normal individuals did not cause the nerve cells to trigger while extracts from IBS-D and IBS-D individuals did. In other words there was something produced by IBS suffers that stimulated the colonic nerves. Further investigation revealed organic materials (histamine, serotonin and proteases) from the cells IBS suffers were causing the nerve cells to trigger. No mental or psychological processes were involved. Similarly, biopsies from the colon of individuals with post infectious IBS revealed localized micro-inflammation. In other words there was physiological or organic damage to the colon cells.

The brain-gut dysfunction in IBS is an organic or biological problem in the way the gut and brain communicate. Needless to say mental processes can affect the brain-gut communication but they don't cause the underlying IBS.

--------------------

Re: Inflammation identified in ibs new
      #360698 - 08/31/10 01:16 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Can these findings be put to use? Can this histimine or whatnot that they tested and said it improved symptoms be purchased?

Syl, do you know anything along these lines? I know you've said before there was a connection between IBS and microscopic inflammation.

#360699 - 08/31/10 02:03 PM
CellSalts_Work

I accept all this, although as I understand (understood) it, I always thought that IBS was a functional disorder, ie was it not for the faulty communication between the brain and gut, people could be cured? Apparently, this is incorrect then?

I'm a bit puzzled that you say that hypnosis can't cure IBS. There have been success stories? In fact there have been people whose digestion has never ever been as good pre-hypnosis as post-hypnosis, ever?

My personal case: even pre-IBS I had a sensitive digestive system, and I have had insomnia ever since I can remember and I have had very mild OCD/depression since I was a teenager. I believed the root cause to all this (and my subsequent IBS) was flawed seratonin levels/functioning. I was on a very small dose of Zoloft (SSRI anti-depressant, right?) for a couple of months, it helped all round, with the IBS and the other problems as well. I am by no means being deliberately obtruse but I am not a scientist (surprise! ) and I am perplexed. Is OCD/depression/insomnia psychological or physiological? I thought all these problems of mine were connected? Do you/ any other fellow sufferer not have any other woes apart from the IBS?

I am still utterly gobsmacked that you said that hypnosis cannot cure people! I've only ever done self-hypnosis btw and that in itself has helped tremendously, I was about to invest in proper hypnosis once I got back to London not worth it then?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360700 - 08/31/10 02:48 PM
Syl

Oh - hypnosis is definitely effective along with other techniques such as biofeedback for managing symptoms. Unfortunately, they aren't cures. There is an internationally recognized functional GI disorder clinic in Manchester headed by Prof. Whorwell who did some of the ground break working with gut directed hypnotherapy and IBS. You might check it out.

The complete definition of a functional GI disorder and a variety of types are given on the IFFGD webs site. A functional GI disorder means that there is a impairment of GI function and structural abnormalities can not be detect using conventional means (x-ray, blood test, etc.). However, technology has advance and new techniques have evolved. Recently some structural and organic changes have been identified. However, these changes many not be primary causes of a disorder but secondary effects. It will be interesting to see how this mystery unfolds.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 877 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38165

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review