All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: Comprehensive video from stanford univ. on ibs causes new
      #359919 - 07/23/10 01:27 PM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

In the "vicious cycle" portion of the above question, starting at about 30 min and 15 sec into the video he refers to his working hypothesis that the cycle can start at any point. Seems to me to be very similar to what is described by Elaine Gottschall (the inventor of the scd diet) in her book "Breaking The Vicious Cycle".

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Comment & a question new
      #359920 - 07/23/10 01:47 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Shawneric,

A theory in science is a concept that has not been verified but is the best accepted explanation of observed facts or phenomena. A scientific theory can be disproved by finding a single observation that disagrees with the predictions of the theory. The discussion of what a scientific theory is was a hot topic in the early 1900s. It was finally settled Sir Karl Popper when he reasoned that scientific theories are falsifiable by experiments and physical observations but they are not verifiable. Unfalsifiable statements are non-scientific. The brain-gut dysfunction theory satisfies current observations but it may be falsified by single observation in the future.

Shawneric, I presume you know that Salix Pharmaceuticals has applied to the FDA for approval for the use of Rifaximin in treating non-constipated IBS. Question. If the FDA gives them approval do you think the GI research community might have to accept that SIBO may be present in some subtypes of IBS?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Syl, Shawneric and anyone else who wants to comment new
      #359925 - 07/24/10 06:37 AM
capricorn1942

Starting at about 30 min and 15 sec into the video he refers to a "vicious cycle" and his working hypothesis that the cycle can start at any point. Please explain what he means by this. What are the components of this cycle?

--------------------

Re: Syl, Shawneric and anyone else who wants to comment new
      #359928 - 07/24/10 07:33 AM
Syl

It is a coincidence that they used the same term 'vicious cycle'.

Dr. Elaine Gottschall is talking about the vicious cycle of bacterial overgrowth in the gut and the gut's responses. She makes no mention involvement of the brain, hormones, stress etc in her ideas.

Dr. Pankaj Pasricha is talking about the brain-gut axis and GI symptoms triggered by changes in stress, hormones, neurochemicals, gut flora, etc. The changes in gut flora need not be bacterial overgrowth. They could be a decrease in certain normal bacteria, a change in the byproducts they produce when fermenting indigestible foods, a change the composition of the flora, etc.

While there is a very small overlap in ideas in the two models there is also a substantial difference between them. Both use the term vicious cycle in different ways.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Comment & a question new
      #359929 - 07/24/10 10:04 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Syl, The big bang and evolution are scientific theories, two of the strongest theories in all of science.;)

I was just clairifying a hypothesis verses scientific theory. Just to make sure everyone was on the same page.

According to the National Academy of Sciences (NAS):

"Science is a particular way of knowing about the world. In science, explanations are limited to those based on observations and experiments that can be substantiated by other scientists."

"Progress in science consists of the development of better explanations for the causes of natural phenomena. Scientists never can be sure that a given explanation is complete and final. Some of the hypotheses advanced by scientists turn out to be incorrect when tested by further observations or experiments. Yet, many scientific explanations have been so thoroughly tested and confirmed that they are held with great confidence."

"Truth in science, however, is never final, and what is accepted as a fact today may be modified or even discarded tomorrow. Science has been greatly successful at explaining natural processes, and this has led not only to increased understanding of the universe but also to major improvements in technology and public health and welfare."

and
------------------------------------------------

"To say it's just a theory is really a bit insulting to science because in science, a theory holds more weight than just a fact does.

And here I think the term "theory" needs to be looked at the way scientists consider it. A theory is not just something that we think of in the middle of the night after too much coffee and not enough sleep. That's an idea. A theory, in science, means a large body of information that's withstood a lot of testing. It probably consists of a number of different hypotheses and many different lines of evidence. Gravitation is a theory that's unlikely to be falsified, even if we saw something fall up. It might make us wonder, but we'd try to figure out what was happening rather than immediately just dismiss gravitation.

Facts are just the minutiae of science. By themselves, they can be right or wrong. But a theory is something that has been tested and tested over and over again, built on, revised. It continues to be reworked and revised.

---------------------------------------

So we know for a fact in every human the gut brain and the brain work together. So the brain-gut axis is a fact in normal psychophysiology.

"The brain-gut dysfunction theory satisfies current observations but it may be falsified by single observation in the future."

This is unlikely since over the last ten years they keep finding more evidence for it. As that presentation pointed out. From fmri and pet scans to serotonin to the effects the brain has on the gut and the gut has on the brain. AS well as the new study showed with the fmri and structural changes. So they have found issues now in both the gut and the brain.

That was new that they found actual strutural changes in the brain.

History of Functional Disorders

"BRAIN-GUT AXIS
The concept of brain-gut interactions brings together observations relating to motility and
visceral hypersensitivity and their modulation by psychosocial factors. By integrating intestinal
and CNS central nervous system activity, the brain-gut axis explains the symptoms relating to
functional GI disorders. In other words, senses such as vision and smell, as well as enteroceptive
information (i.e. emotion and thought) have the capability to affect gastrointestinal sensation,
motility, secretion, and inflammation. Conversely, viscerotopic effects reciprocally affect central
pain perception, mood, and behavior. For example, spontaneously induced contractions of the
colon in rats leads to activation of the locus coeruleus in the pons, an area closely connected to
pain and emotional centers in the brain. Jointly, the increased arousal or anxiety is associated
with a decrease in the frequency of MMC activity of the small bowel possibly mediated by stress
hormones in the brain. Based on these observations, it is no longer rational to try to discriminate
whether physiological or psychological factors produce pain or other bowel symptoms. Instead,
the Functional GI disorders are understood in terms of dysregulation of brain-gut function, and
the task is to determine to what degree each is remediable. Therefore, a treatment approach
consistent with the concept of brain-gut dysfunction may focus on the neuropeptides and
receptors that are present in both enteric and central nervous systems."

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/historyfunctionaldisorders.pdf

So again its highly unlikely a single experiment will falsify the brain gut axis, for one because there are a lot and I mean a lot showing the connections and dysfunctioning. So its more likely it will take on additional add ons to the theory.

"Shawneric, I presume you know that Salix Pharmaceuticals has applied to the FDA for approval for the use of Rifaximin in treating non-constipated IBS. Question. If the FDA gives them approval do you think the GI research community might have to accept that SIBO may be present in some subtypes of IBS?"

yes I do know that.

This is important sibo and IBS are different conditions. People without IBS can have sibo and sibo can cause some symptoms IBS does not. So its really not a matter of subtypes in IBS, but that some IBSers have both sibo and IBS, just like some have IBS and lactose intolerence for example. That is what is being recgonized, some IBSers also have sibo, but the majority, do not seem too. Its not turning out well for Sibo to be the "cause" of IBS.
SIBO can also be a problem stemming from other causes, regarless of IBS as well. IF sibo were the "cause" of IBS then everyone would have it.

You know DR Drossman wrote this for me years and years ago.
He is of course the chairman for the rome committe to diagnose functional gi and motlity disorders and one of the top doctors in all of this research.

"The cause of IBS is yet to be determined. However, modern research understands IBS as a disorder of increased reactivity of the bowel, visceral hypersensitivity and dysfunction of the brain-gut axis. There are subgroups being defined as well, including post-infectious IBS which can lead to IBS symptoms. Other work using brain imaging shows that the pain regulation center of the brain (cingulate cortex) can be impaired, as well as good evidence for there being abnormalities in motility which can at least in part explain the diarrhea and constipation. So finding a specific "cause" of IBS has grown out of general interest in place of understanding physiological subgroups that may become amenable to more specific treatments. Hope that helps.
Doug"

http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoods2.htm

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Re: Syl, Shawneric and anyone else who wants to comment new
      #359932 - 07/24/10 10:23 AM
shawneric

Actually there were issues left out of the video he did not cover. Like an alter gastro colonic responce to eating.

Most of the time when you here the vicious cycle in IBS it refers to "symptoms=anxiety=symptoms." What he was going into was the psychophysiology mechanisms. I am not sure if you caught it in the video, but the strongest evidence has to do with serotonin release from cells in the gut.

You should watch all these videos and especially this one.

Video Corner: Serotonin

Increasingly our understanding of IBS is that it is a heterogeneous disorder – that is, multiple factors contribute to the well defined symptoms of the disorder. One of these suspected underlying dysfunctions involves serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter or messenger to nerves. Most serotonin in the body is in cells that line the gut where it senses what is going on and through receptors signals nerves that stimulate a response. The serotonin must then be reabsorbed (a process called re-uptake) into cells. This process appears to be disrupted in people with IBS.

Serotonin and SERT
How does serotonin affect gut function? An interview with Gary M. Mawe, PhD, Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. Dr. Mawe is a basic scientist.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/serotonin

But this is the thing, its not a question anymore of the brain or gut brain, its recognizing and incorporating the functioning of both. Both are operational to cause the symptoms.

--------------------

#359934 - 07/24/10 10:28 AM
Syl

Perhaps it is best to defer to someone like Stephen Hawkins when talking about theories like relativity theory.

In his book A Brief History of Time he states, "A theory is a good theory if it satisfies two requirements: It must accurately describe a large class of observations on the basis of a model that contains only a few arbitrary elements, and it must make definite predictions about the results of future observations."

He goes on to state [page 10], "Any physical theory [be that relativity or evolution] is always provisional, in the sense that it is only a hypothesis; you can never prove it. No matter how many times the results of experiments agree with some theory, you can never be sure that the next time the result will not contradict the theory. On the other hand, you can disprove a theory by finding even a single observation that disagrees with the predictions of the theory."

It will be interesting to see how the SIBO dialog evolves over the next few years. There maybe room for a broader interpretation.

Thanks for your ideas and comments.

--------------------

#359936 - 07/24/10 10:36 AM
capricorn1942

Doesn't sibo provide a good explanation for bloating? As he says in the video, if the illeum has been (partially or fully?) colonized, then even food such as rice will provide nourishment for the colony causing gas production to begin in the illeum rather than the colon and continue into the colon.

Cheers.

--------------------

#359937 - 07/24/10 11:29 AM
Syl

SIBO and IBS have similar symptoms including bloating. The bacteria in the ileum in SIBO usually have migrated there from the colon. Indigestible food including fiber and short chain carbohydrates will feed the bacteria in either the ileum or colon producing gas and bloating.

--------------------

#359938 - 07/24/10 11:40 AM
shawneric

sibo can be a cause for bloating, however there are a lot of things that can cause bloating.

"When IBS occurs, the colon does not contract normally. instead, it seems to contract in a disorganized, at times violent, manner. The contractions may be terribly exaggerated and sustained, lasting for prolonged periods of time. One area of the colon may contract with no regard to another. At other times, there may be little bowel activity at all. These abnormal contractions result in changing bowel patterns with constipation being most common.

A second major feature of IBS is abdominal discomfort or pain. This may move around the abdomen rather than remain localized in one area.

These disorganized, exaggerated and painful contractions lead to certain problems. The pattern of bowel movements is often altered. Diarrhea may occur, especially after meals, as the entire colon contracts and moves liquid stool quickly into the rectum. Or, localized areas of the colon may remain contracted for a prolonged time. When this occurs, which often happens in the section of colon just above the rectum, the stool may be retained for a prolonged period and be squeezed into small pellets. Excessive water is removed from the stool and it becomes hard.

Also, air may accumulate behind these localized contractions, causing the bowel to swell. So bloating and abdominal distress may occur."

http://www.ibshealth.com/aboutibs.htm

There is other research on bloating and distension in IBS from abdominal muscles.

But in IBS pain or discomfort is a must for a diagnoses, its more the whole picture in IBS then say just the symptoms of bloating. Normal people can bloat but they don't get major disress from it, especially on a regular basis.

SIBO can cause alabsorbtion of nutrients, which IBS does not.

Impaired intestinal gas propulsion in manometrically proven dysmotility and in irritable bowel syndrome.

CONCLUSION & INFERENCES: Patients with manometric dysmotility have markedly impaired intestinal gas propulsion. In IBS patients, impaired gas propulsion is less pronounced but associated with concomitant sensory dysfunction and poor tolerance of gas retention.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20047636?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=49

So altered motility in IBS can cause altered gas transit through the colon and bloating and distension, that on top of viceral hypersensivity.

Not everything about bacteria in the colon in that vidoes was about sibo. Some was just on foods and bacteria themselves.

This was on something I was going over years ago when the sibo and IBS research just started coming out.

I am trying to understand somethings in relationship to SIBO.

I posted here so you both may see it. I am looking into but am not sure about somethings that you guys can possibly help with.

Okay altered motlity can cause bacteria to enter the small bowel where it should not be really, at least in high counts, because its a pretty sterile environment. For the moment I am just looking at the altered motility reason for SIBO.

What are small intestinal bacteria overgrowth symptoms?

The symptoms of SIBO include:

excess gas,
abdominal bloating and distension,
diarrhea, and
abdominal pain.

"A small number of patients with SIBO have chronic constipation rather than diarrhea. "

How does small intestinal bacterial overgrowth cause symptoms?

When bacteria digest food in the intestine, they produce gas. The gas can accumulate in the abdomen giving rise to abdominal bloating or distension. Distension can cause abdominal pain. The increased amounts of gas are passed as flatus (flatulence or farts). The bacteria also probably convert food into substances that are irritating or toxic to the cells of the inner lining of the small intestine and colon. These irritating substances produce diarrhea (by causing secretion of water into the intestine). There is some evidence that the production of one gas by the bacteriaâ€"methaneâ€"causes constipation.

http://www.medicinenet.com/small_intestina...rowth/page2.htm

Any Idea what those irritating substances are?

This means these are just in the wrong place and not specific or multiple pathogens?

A "classic" bacterial infection or a reaction to "all" the bacteria there themselves?

wrote to Dr Drossman on this and here is the reply.

*Any Idea what those irritating substances are?*

sorry its in bold type that is how he worte it into the email so I would see it was his answers.

"IT IS AN OVERSTATEMENT TO SAY THEY ARE "IRRITATING" SUBSTANCES AT LEAST
IN THE SENSE OF BEING SOME TYPE OF TOXIN. THEY ARE NATURAL BYPRODUCTS OF
DEGRADATION OF FOOD SUBSTANCES BY BACTERIA WHICH DON'T NORMALLY OCCUR IN
THE SMALL BOWEL. SO WITH INCREASED BACTERIA IN THE SMALL BOWEL, THE
BACTERIA ARE ABLE TO DIGEST SUGARS FOR EXAMPLE PRODUCING H2 AND CO2 FROM
THE SUGARS WHICH ARE GASEOUS BUT WHICH ALSO HAVE OSMOTIC PROPERTIES,
I.E. INCREASED PARTICLES THAT CAUSE SECRETION OF FLUID INTO THE BOWEL
THUS CAUSING DIARRHEA. IT'S THE SAME PRINCIPLE AS USING NON ABSORBABLE
SUGARS LIKE LACTULOSE OR SORBITAL TO TREAT CONSIPATION BY INCREASING
FLUID IN THE BOWEL. IT'S JUST THAT WITHOUT BACTERIA IN THE SMALL BOWEL,
IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AND THE FOOD SUBSTANCES GET ABSORBED. WITH INCREASED
BACTERIA IT COMPETES FOR THE FOOD SUBSTANCES AND PRODUCES THE GAS AND
DIARRHEA."

*This means these are just in the wrong place and not specific or multiple pathogens?*

CORRECT. HOWEVER, THERE IS GROWING INTEREST NOT IN THE AMOUNT OF
BACTERIA BUT THE TYPE OF BACTERIA. CERTAIN BACTERIA CAN CAUSE SOME MILD
INFLAMMATION OF THE BOWEL AND OTHERS PROTECT THE BOWEL FROM THAT
POSSIBILITY. SO THERE IS "GOOD" AND "BAD" BACTERIA. POSSIBLY WHEN PEOPLE
ARE TREATING PRESUMED SIBO (WHICH MIGHT NOT ACTUALLY BE HAPPENNING,
BECAUSE THE TEST MAY BE INACCURATE) ANTIBIOTICS MAY HELP TO GET RID OF
THE BAD BACTERIA AND THAT MAY BE WHY THEY ARE GETTING BETTER. THIS IS
WHY SOME PEOPLE GET BETTER AFTER ANTIBIOTIC TREATMENT. BUT IT CAN ALSO
GO THE OTHER WAY, I.E., ANTIBIOTICS HAVE BEEN SHOWN TO MAKE IBS WORSE AS
WELL. THE OTHER IDEA IS TO USE PROBIOTICS WHICH CONTAIN "GOOD" BACTERIA
(E.G., LACTOBACILLUS OR BIFIDOBACTERIA) WHICH REPLACE THE BAD BACTERIA,
POSSIBLY REDUCE THE INFLAMMATION AND IMPROVE SYMPTOMS. SO THE ISSUE OF
BACTERIA IN THE BOWEL IS MUCH MORE COMPLICATED THAN SIMPLE SIBO, BUT SIBO CAN BE A PART OF THE WHOLE PICTURE (THOUGH NOT THE WHOLE PICTURE FOR IBS).

Dr Drossman

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1629 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38167

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review