All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Comprehensive video from stanford univ. on ibs causes
      #359787 - 07/19/10 05:23 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

This video presents the latest thoughts on this subject:

http://www.researchchannel.org/prog/displayevent.aspx?rID=26275&fID=1698

You'll need to select either windows media player or quicktime.

This video is one in http://healthlibrary.stanford.edu which includes videos on many health topics.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Excellent - everyone including GPs should view it. new
      #359790 - 07/19/10 07:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

This is the best description of what IBS is and its possible causes that I have seen.

One of the interesting things it explains is that when you consider the whole IBS population - including those that don't seek medical attention - the amount of psychiatric disorders (anxiety, depression, etc) is not any higher than in the normal population. It is clearly explained that IBS is not a psychological disorder. Also, the presenter puts an interesting prespective on short chain carbohydrates such as fructose, lactose & sorbitol and the role of fiber in managing IBS into clearer prespective.

Thank you for posting the link to this video.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Comprehensive video from stanford univ. on ibs causes new
      #359801 - 07/19/10 05:55 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Thanks for posting this video.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#359805 - 07/19/10 06:28 PM
shawneric

This is an excellent presentation.

--------------------

#359827 - 07/20/10 11:03 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Here's another article about this I found interesting:
US News World Rep. 2000 Apr 3;128(13):50-1.

The wisdom of the gut. Those butterflies in your stomach are not just in your mind.

They refer to the gut as the second brain and defines IBS as being a malfunctioning of the big brain or little brain, or both, or someplace in between.
It also talks about some meds that may be helpful. Im sure they have been mentioned on these boards I will have to look them up: Lotronex, Imitrex, Clonidine..

#359845 - 07/20/10 10:16 PM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

I also found this a darn good overview. Anyone who doesn't have the gist of the brain/gut aspect (or doubts it) but wants to get it, can do so painlessly by watching. But my favorite thing about the discussion on the video is that it makes sense of and adds clarity to one of the most confusing parts of the discussion on this board (and elsewhere)! That is: There is no doubt that what works wonders for some of the IBS population overtly increases symptoms for others!
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

#359904 - 07/22/10 08:24 PM
shawneric

They have know for many years now both the brain and the gut brain generate the symptoms. A dysregulation in the communication between the two. This is very important for IBSers to understand.

--------------------

#359910 - 07/23/10 06:50 AM
capricorn1942

Is brain gut interaction a theory or an established fact? I have read that it is not known whether the dysfunction is in the brain, the gut or in the interaction.

Also, he seems to be saying that the "vicious cycle" can start at any point (stress, infection, sibo, nerve damage, other causes (?)) and once started, the cycle will complete, i.e. all other symptoms will come about. Is this a correct interpretation?

Cheers.

--------------------

#359911 - 07/23/10 06:54 AM
Syl

It is still a theory with fairly good clinical evidence to support it. It likely there are a number of IBS subtypes some of which the dysfunction will be in the gut, others in the brain and still others in the interaction between the two. It is early days in the research into this theory.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#359916 - 07/23/10 12:15 PM
shawneric

Actually the "brain gut interaction" is an established fact, just by functioning alone. In IBS both are operational to cause the symptoms. All pain is processed in the brain for one and stress can effect gut functioning in all people, but especially IBS.

What is not toally established is where the biomarkers are, like structural changes, in the gut brain or the brain or even the spinal cord.

The infection part really had to do with post infectious IBS where a person enteric infection, like dysentary and that goes away and a person gets PI IBS.

Sibo is a different condition, but some IBSers have that and IBS. Sibo is also a consequence and other problems can cause sibo that have nothing to do with IBS.

Part of that on bacteria was not totally sibo either, some was some of it wasn't, some of it was just about bacteria in the gut.

The presentation was from 2008, but they have known for many years IBS is a brain gut axis disorder, but its figuring out where all the problems are, like serotonin regulation, mast cells, the HPA axis, spinal cord and a lot more.

This is new from 2010. ULCA got a big grant to study the brain aspects and UNC the gut aspects. Then they are collaborating.

Irritable bowel syndrome associated with brain changes

Irritable bowel syndrome has been a tough disorder to understand. Studies have failed to show any structural problems in the gut that would account for the symptoms of pain, bloating, diarrhea and constipation. However, the disorder is real, affecting as many as 15% of Americans.

A new study has found a possible connection between IBS and the brain. Researchers at McGill University and UCLA used MRI scans to reveal changes in the brains of women with the disorder. The researchers took MRI scans of 55 IBS patients and 48 healthy women for comparison. The women with IBS tended to have different amounts of brain gray matter in certain areas; for example, decreases in gray matter in parts of the brain that govern attention and areas that suppress pain.

A link between the brain and chronic pain has been identified in other disorders, such as lower back pain, migraines, fibromyalgia and hip pain. The study on IBS suggests that, like these other conditions, the problem may be due to the brain's inability to inhibit the pain response.

"Discovering structural changes in the brain, whether they are primary or secondary to the gastrointestinal symptoms, demonstrates an 'organic' component to IBS and supports the concept of a brain-gut disorder," Emeran Mayer, a co-author of the study at UCLA, said in a news release. "Also, the findings remove the idea once and for all that IBS symptoms are not real and are 'only psychological.' The findings will give us more insight into better understanding IBS."
By Shari Roan, Los Angeles Times

http://www.latimes.com/news/health/boostershots/la-heb-bowel-20100722,0,2369726.story

also just fyi, but a scientific theory is differnt then most people think when they think theory. Its not a hypothesis, but based on fact. Whereas a hypothesis is a stage to a scientific theory. But a a scientific theory is based on observable facts that have been tested and peer reviewed.

--------------------

#359919 - 07/23/10 01:27 PM
capricorn1942

In the "vicious cycle" portion of the above question, starting at about 30 min and 15 sec into the video he refers to his working hypothesis that the cycle can start at any point. Seems to me to be very similar to what is described by Elaine Gottschall (the inventor of the scd diet) in her book "Breaking The Vicious Cycle".

--------------------

Comment & a question new
      #359920 - 07/23/10 01:47 PM
Syl

Shawneric,

A theory in science is a concept that has not been verified but is the best accepted explanation of observed facts or phenomena. A scientific theory can be disproved by finding a single observation that disagrees with the predictions of the theory. The discussion of what a scientific theory is was a hot topic in the early 1900s. It was finally settled Sir Karl Popper when he reasoned that scientific theories are falsifiable by experiments and physical observations but they are not verifiable. Unfalsifiable statements are non-scientific. The brain-gut dysfunction theory satisfies current observations but it may be falsified by single observation in the future.

Shawneric, I presume you know that Salix Pharmaceuticals has applied to the FDA for approval for the use of Rifaximin in treating non-constipated IBS. Question. If the FDA gives them approval do you think the GI research community might have to accept that SIBO may be present in some subtypes of IBS?

--------------------

Syl, Shawneric and anyone else who wants to comment new
      #359925 - 07/24/10 06:37 AM
capricorn1942

Starting at about 30 min and 15 sec into the video he refers to a "vicious cycle" and his working hypothesis that the cycle can start at any point. Please explain what he means by this. What are the components of this cycle?

--------------------

Re: Syl, Shawneric and anyone else who wants to comment new
      #359928 - 07/24/10 07:33 AM
Syl

It is a coincidence that they used the same term 'vicious cycle'.

Dr. Elaine Gottschall is talking about the vicious cycle of bacterial overgrowth in the gut and the gut's responses. She makes no mention involvement of the brain, hormones, stress etc in her ideas.

Dr. Pankaj Pasricha is talking about the brain-gut axis and GI symptoms triggered by changes in stress, hormones, neurochemicals, gut flora, etc. The changes in gut flora need not be bacterial overgrowth. They could be a decrease in certain normal bacteria, a change in the byproducts they produce when fermenting indigestible foods, a change the composition of the flora, etc.

While there is a very small overlap in ideas in the two models there is also a substantial difference between them. Both use the term vicious cycle in different ways.

--------------------

Re: Comment & a question new
      #359929 - 07/24/10 10:04 AM
shawneric

Syl, The big bang and evolution are scientific theories, two of the strongest theories in all of science.;)

I was just clairifying a hypothesis verses scientific theory. Just to make sure everyone was on the same page.

According to the National Academy of Sciences (NAS):

"Science is a particular way of knowing about the world. In science, explanations are limited to those based on observations and experiments that can be substantiated by other scientists."

"Progress in science consists of the development of better explanations for the causes of natural phenomena. Scientists never can be sure that a given explanation is complete and final. Some of the hypotheses advanced by scientists turn out to be incorrect when tested by further observations or experiments. Yet, many scientific explanations have been so thoroughly tested and confirmed that they are held with great confidence."

"Truth in science, however, is never final, and what is accepted as a fact today may be modified or even discarded tomorrow. Science has been greatly successful at explaining natural processes, and this has led not only to increased understanding of the universe but also to major improvements in technology and public health and welfare."

and
------------------------------------------------

"To say it's just a theory is really a bit insulting to science because in science, a theory holds more weight than just a fact does.

And here I think the term "theory" needs to be looked at the way scientists consider it. A theory is not just something that we think of in the middle of the night after too much coffee and not enough sleep. That's an idea. A theory, in science, means a large body of information that's withstood a lot of testing. It probably consists of a number of different hypotheses and many different lines of evidence. Gravitation is a theory that's unlikely to be falsified, even if we saw something fall up. It might make us wonder, but we'd try to figure out what was happening rather than immediately just dismiss gravitation.

Facts are just the minutiae of science. By themselves, they can be right or wrong. But a theory is something that has been tested and tested over and over again, built on, revised. It continues to be reworked and revised.

---------------------------------------

So we know for a fact in every human the gut brain and the brain work together. So the brain-gut axis is a fact in normal psychophysiology.

"The brain-gut dysfunction theory satisfies current observations but it may be falsified by single observation in the future."

This is unlikely since over the last ten years they keep finding more evidence for it. As that presentation pointed out. From fmri and pet scans to serotonin to the effects the brain has on the gut and the gut has on the brain. AS well as the new study showed with the fmri and structural changes. So they have found issues now in both the gut and the brain.

That was new that they found actual strutural changes in the brain.

History of Functional Disorders

"BRAIN-GUT AXIS
The concept of brain-gut interactions brings together observations relating to motility and
visceral hypersensitivity and their modulation by psychosocial factors. By integrating intestinal
and CNS central nervous system activity, the brain-gut axis explains the symptoms relating to
functional GI disorders. In other words, senses such as vision and smell, as well as enteroceptive
information (i.e. emotion and thought) have the capability to affect gastrointestinal sensation,
motility, secretion, and inflammation. Conversely, viscerotopic effects reciprocally affect central
pain perception, mood, and behavior. For example, spontaneously induced contractions of the
colon in rats leads to activation of the locus coeruleus in the pons, an area closely connected to
pain and emotional centers in the brain. Jointly, the increased arousal or anxiety is associated
with a decrease in the frequency of MMC activity of the small bowel possibly mediated by stress
hormones in the brain. Based on these observations, it is no longer rational to try to discriminate
whether physiological or psychological factors produce pain or other bowel symptoms. Instead,
the Functional GI disorders are understood in terms of dysregulation of brain-gut function, and
the task is to determine to what degree each is remediable. Therefore, a treatment approach
consistent with the concept of brain-gut dysfunction may focus on the neuropeptides and
receptors that are present in both enteric and central nervous systems."

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/historyfunctionaldisorders.pdf

So again its highly unlikely a single experiment will falsify the brain gut axis, for one because there are a lot and I mean a lot showing the connections and dysfunctioning. So its more likely it will take on additional add ons to the theory.

"Shawneric, I presume you know that Salix Pharmaceuticals has applied to the FDA for approval for the use of Rifaximin in treating non-constipated IBS. Question. If the FDA gives them approval do you think the GI research community might have to accept that SIBO may be present in some subtypes of IBS?"

yes I do know that.

This is important sibo and IBS are different conditions. People without IBS can have sibo and sibo can cause some symptoms IBS does not. So its really not a matter of subtypes in IBS, but that some IBSers have both sibo and IBS, just like some have IBS and lactose intolerence for example. That is what is being recgonized, some IBSers also have sibo, but the majority, do not seem too. Its not turning out well for Sibo to be the "cause" of IBS.
SIBO can also be a problem stemming from other causes, regarless of IBS as well. IF sibo were the "cause" of IBS then everyone would have it.

You know DR Drossman wrote this for me years and years ago.
He is of course the chairman for the rome committe to diagnose functional gi and motlity disorders and one of the top doctors in all of this research.

"The cause of IBS is yet to be determined. However, modern research understands IBS as a disorder of increased reactivity of the bowel, visceral hypersensitivity and dysfunction of the brain-gut axis. There are subgroups being defined as well, including post-infectious IBS which can lead to IBS symptoms. Other work using brain imaging shows that the pain regulation center of the brain (cingulate cortex) can be impaired, as well as good evidence for there being abnormalities in motility which can at least in part explain the diarrhea and constipation. So finding a specific "cause" of IBS has grown out of general interest in place of understanding physiological subgroups that may become amenable to more specific treatments. Hope that helps.
Doug"

http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoods2.htm

--------------------

Re: Syl, Shawneric and anyone else who wants to comment new
      #359932 - 07/24/10 10:23 AM
shawneric

Actually there were issues left out of the video he did not cover. Like an alter gastro colonic responce to eating.

Most of the time when you here the vicious cycle in IBS it refers to "symptoms=anxiety=symptoms." What he was going into was the psychophysiology mechanisms. I am not sure if you caught it in the video, but the strongest evidence has to do with serotonin release from cells in the gut.

You should watch all these videos and especially this one.

Video Corner: Serotonin

Increasingly our understanding of IBS is that it is a heterogeneous disorder that is, multiple factors contribute to the well defined symptoms of the disorder. One of these suspected underlying dysfunctions involves serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter or messenger to nerves. Most serotonin in the body is in cells that line the gut where it senses what is going on and through receptors signals nerves that stimulate a response. The serotonin must then be reabsorbed (a process called re-uptake) into cells. This process appears to be disrupted in people with IBS.

Serotonin and SERT
How does serotonin affect gut function? An interview with Gary M. Mawe, PhD, Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. Dr. Mawe is a basic scientist.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/serotonin

But this is the thing, its not a question anymore of the brain or gut brain, its recognizing and incorporating the functioning of both. Both are operational to cause the symptoms.

--------------------

#359934 - 07/24/10 10:28 AM
Syl

Perhaps it is best to defer to someone like Stephen Hawkins when talking about theories like relativity theory.

In his book A Brief History of Time he states, "A theory is a good theory if it satisfies two requirements: It must accurately describe a large class of observations on the basis of a model that contains only a few arbitrary elements, and it must make definite predictions about the results of future observations."

He goes on to state [page 10], "Any physical theory [be that relativity or evolution] is always provisional, in the sense that it is only a hypothesis; you can never prove it. No matter how many times the results of experiments agree with some theory, you can never be sure that the next time the result will not contradict the theory. On the other hand, you can disprove a theory by finding even a single observation that disagrees with the predictions of the theory."

It will be interesting to see how the SIBO dialog evolves over the next few years. There maybe room for a broader interpretation.

Thanks for your ideas and comments.

--------------------

#359936 - 07/24/10 10:36 AM
capricorn1942

Doesn't sibo provide a good explanation for bloating? As he says in the video, if the illeum has been (partially or fully?) colonized, then even food such as rice will provide nourishment for the colony causing gas production to begin in the illeum rather than the colon and continue into the colon.

Cheers.

--------------------

#359937 - 07/24/10 11:29 AM
Syl

SIBO and IBS have similar symptoms including bloating. The bacteria in the ileum in SIBO usually have migrated there from the colon. Indigestible food including fiber and short chain carbohydrates will feed the bacteria in either the ileum or colon producing gas and bloating.

--------------------

#359938 - 07/24/10 11:40 AM
shawneric

sibo can be a cause for bloating, however there are a lot of things that can cause bloating.

"When IBS occurs, the colon does not contract normally. instead, it seems to contract in a disorganized, at times violent, manner. The contractions may be terribly exaggerated and sustained, lasting for prolonged periods of time. One area of the colon may contract with no regard to another. At other times, there may be little bowel activity at all. These abnormal contractions result in changing bowel patterns with constipation being most common.

A second major feature of IBS is abdominal discomfort or pain. This may move around the abdomen rather than remain localized in one area.

These disorganized, exaggerated and painful contractions lead to certain problems. The pattern of bowel movements is often altered. Diarrhea may occur, especially after meals, as the entire colon contracts and moves liquid stool quickly into the rectum. Or, localized areas of the colon may remain contracted for a prolonged time. When this occurs, which often happens in the section of colon just above the rectum, the stool may be retained for a prolonged period and be squeezed into small pellets. Excessive water is removed from the stool and it becomes hard.

Also, air may accumulate behind these localized contractions, causing the bowel to swell. So bloating and abdominal distress may occur."

http://www.ibshealth.com/aboutibs.htm

There is other research on bloating and distension in IBS from abdominal muscles.

But in IBS pain or discomfort is a must for a diagnoses, its more the whole picture in IBS then say just the symptoms of bloating. Normal people can bloat but they don't get major disress from it, especially on a regular basis.

SIBO can cause alabsorbtion of nutrients, which IBS does not.

Impaired intestinal gas propulsion in manometrically proven dysmotility and in irritable bowel syndrome.

CONCLUSION & INFERENCES: Patients with manometric dysmotility have markedly impaired intestinal gas propulsion. In IBS patients, impaired gas propulsion is less pronounced but associated with concomitant sensory dysfunction and poor tolerance of gas retention.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20047636?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=49

So altered motility in IBS can cause altered gas transit through the colon and bloating and distension, that on top of viceral hypersensivity.

Not everything about bacteria in the colon in that vidoes was about sibo. Some was just on foods and bacteria themselves.

This was on something I was going over years ago when the sibo and IBS research just started coming out.

I am trying to understand somethings in relationship to SIBO.

I posted here so you both may see it. I am looking into but am not sure about somethings that you guys can possibly help with.

Okay altered motlity can cause bacteria to enter the small bowel where it should not be really, at least in high counts, because its a pretty sterile environment. For the moment I am just looking at the altered motility reason for SIBO.

What are small intestinal bacteria overgrowth symptoms?

The symptoms of SIBO include:

excess gas,
abdominal bloating and distension,
diarrhea, and
abdominal pain.

"A small number of patients with SIBO have chronic constipation rather than diarrhea. "

How does small intestinal bacterial overgrowth cause symptoms?

When bacteria digest food in the intestine, they produce gas. The gas can accumulate in the abdomen giving rise to abdominal bloating or distension. Distension can cause abdominal pain. The increased amounts of gas are passed as flatus (flatulence or farts). The bacteria also probably convert food into substances that are irritating or toxic to the cells of the inner lining of the small intestine and colon. These irritating substances produce diarrhea (by causing secretion of water into the intestine). There is some evidence that the production of one gas by the bacteria"methane"causes constipation.

http://www.medicinenet.com/small_intestina...rowth/page2.htm

Any Idea what those irritating substances are?

This means these are just in the wrong place and not specific or multiple pathogens?

A "classic" bacterial infection or a reaction to "all" the bacteria there themselves?

wrote to Dr Drossman on this and here is the reply.

*Any Idea what those irritating substances are?*

sorry its in bold type that is how he worte it into the email so I would see it was his answers.

"IT IS AN OVERSTATEMENT TO SAY THEY ARE "IRRITATING" SUBSTANCES AT LEAST
IN THE SENSE OF BEING SOME TYPE OF TOXIN. THEY ARE NATURAL BYPRODUCTS OF
DEGRADATION OF FOOD SUBSTANCES BY BACTERIA WHICH DON'T NORMALLY OCCUR IN
THE SMALL BOWEL. SO WITH INCREASED BACTERIA IN THE SMALL BOWEL, THE
BACTERIA ARE ABLE TO DIGEST SUGARS FOR EXAMPLE PRODUCING H2 AND CO2 FROM
THE SUGARS WHICH ARE GASEOUS BUT WHICH ALSO HAVE OSMOTIC PROPERTIES,
I.E. INCREASED PARTICLES THAT CAUSE SECRETION OF FLUID INTO THE BOWEL
THUS CAUSING DIARRHEA. IT'S THE SAME PRINCIPLE AS USING NON ABSORBABLE
SUGARS LIKE LACTULOSE OR SORBITAL TO TREAT CONSIPATION BY INCREASING
FLUID IN THE BOWEL. IT'S JUST THAT WITHOUT BACTERIA IN THE SMALL BOWEL,
IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AND THE FOOD SUBSTANCES GET ABSORBED. WITH INCREASED
BACTERIA IT COMPETES FOR THE FOOD SUBSTANCES AND PRODUCES THE GAS AND
DIARRHEA."

*This means these are just in the wrong place and not specific or multiple pathogens?*

CORRECT. HOWEVER, THERE IS GROWING INTEREST NOT IN THE AMOUNT OF
BACTERIA BUT THE TYPE OF BACTERIA. CERTAIN BACTERIA CAN CAUSE SOME MILD
INFLAMMATION OF THE BOWEL AND OTHERS PROTECT THE BOWEL FROM THAT
POSSIBILITY. SO THERE IS "GOOD" AND "BAD" BACTERIA. POSSIBLY WHEN PEOPLE
ARE TREATING PRESUMED SIBO (WHICH MIGHT NOT ACTUALLY BE HAPPENNING,
BECAUSE THE TEST MAY BE INACCURATE) ANTIBIOTICS MAY HELP TO GET RID OF
THE BAD BACTERIA AND THAT MAY BE WHY THEY ARE GETTING BETTER. THIS IS
WHY SOME PEOPLE GET BETTER AFTER ANTIBIOTIC TREATMENT. BUT IT CAN ALSO
GO THE OTHER WAY, I.E., ANTIBIOTICS HAVE BEEN SHOWN TO MAKE IBS WORSE AS
WELL. THE OTHER IDEA IS TO USE PROBIOTICS WHICH CONTAIN "GOOD" BACTERIA
(E.G., LACTOBACILLUS OR BIFIDOBACTERIA) WHICH REPLACE THE BAD BACTERIA,
POSSIBLY REDUCE THE INFLAMMATION AND IMPROVE SYMPTOMS. SO THE ISSUE OF
BACTERIA IN THE BOWEL IS MUCH MORE COMPLICATED THAN SIMPLE SIBO, BUT SIBO CAN BE A PART OF THE WHOLE PICTURE (THOUGH NOT THE WHOLE PICTURE FOR IBS).

Dr Drossman

--------------------

#359939 - 07/24/10 11:53 AM
shawneric

syl, I am a big fan of hawkings for sure and have studied astronomy and cosmology for over thirty years.

Just fyi, the light left over from the biug bang if you have never seen this, before any stars existed at all.

The big bang is falsifiable by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FiESw3Zj4M

The theory of evolution is supported by all the sciences and confirmed with dna and all the evidence.

a joint statement of IAP by 68 national and international science academies lists as established scientific fact that Earth is approximately 4.6 billion years old and has undergone continual change; that life, according to the evidence of earliest fossils, appeared on Earth at least 3.8 billion years ago and has subsequently taken many forms, all of which continue to evolve; and that the genetic code of all organisms living today, including humans, clearly indicates their common primordial origin

Of course we are off topic here, but figured I would show you the wmap info if you have never seen it as it is extremely cool.

Neither the big bang or evolution will likely shown to be wrong, but will take on additional information as we get better with our technology. There pretty well supported substantially.

"It will be interesting to see how the SIBO dialog evolves over the next few years."

What has been interesting is Pimnetal writing a book it is the cause of IBS, using an inaccurate test in the intial studies that showed a high percentage and when they used better testing it showed a much much lower percentage. What is important is some people have both and the study of colonic bacteria in general and its effects on IBS and on other disorders. But again people can have IBS and not have sibo and people can have sibo for a variety of reasons. SIBO is a consequence of another problem. Like altered motility, so what causes the altered motility. But then there is viceral hypersensivity and brain gut axis dysfuntion as well.

Take a look at this thread and the posts to it.

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=90110&pid=689516&start=&st=#entry689516

for example

Evaluation of Visceral Sensation in IBS Patients Using Subliminal Stimulation

"From Medscape Gastroenterology

Literature Review -- Select Topics in IBS and Chronic Constipation
Latest From the Literature in IBS and Chronic Constipation: September 2006
Posted 09/07/2006

Brian E. Lacy, MD, PhD

Introduction
In this second installment in our quarterly literature review series on topical issues in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and chronic constipation, 3 original research studies are reviewed. These reports describe new information regarding the pathophysiology of IBS, the role of alternative therapies in the treatment of IBS, and the treatment of constipation."

"Lawal A, Kern M, Sidhu H, Hofmann C, Shaker R. Novel evidence for hypersensitivity of visceral sensory neural circuitry in irritable bowel syndrome patients. Gastroenterology. 2006;130:26-33.

The pathophysiology of IBS involves multiple underlying factors, including abnormalities in visceral sensation, disturbances in gut motility, and differences in the central nervous system (CNS) processing of visceral pain.[1] Many investigators now believe that visceral hypersensitivity is the most important pathophysiologic abnormality in IBS patients. The mechanism that leads to visceral hypersensitivity in patients with IBS is unknown, although current theories postulate the presence of abnormal sensory receptors and sensory afferents, deficient descending modulating factors, and a hypervigilant CNS. This latter component has been demonstrated in studies using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and positron emission tomography scans.[2,3] The end result is that IBS patients sense abdominal discomfort at lower levels than normal individuals and often misinterpret normal sensations as painful (allodynia).[4] This has been demonstrated in a number of studies that typically involve distending the lumen of the gastrointestinal tract with a balloon.[5] One concern is that these studies may be influenced by cognitive processes associated with perceived sensory stimulation. Stated another way, anticipation of a possibly unpleasant sensation (balloon distention of the rectum) may alter cortical activity and thus change fMRI findings. Lawal and colleagues[6] addressed this potentially confounding factor by evaluating visceral sensation in IBS patients using subliminal stimulation."

"This well-designed, novel study is the first to show that very low levels of distention in the gastrointestinal tract, without any related cognitive processes typically associated with perceived distention, lead to increased CNS activity in IBS patients compared with healthy volunteers. In addition, patients with IBS demonstrated a maximum response to subliminal distention, as compared with the graded response seen in healthy volunteers. These findings are important for a number of reasons. One, it confirms the now widely accepted view that the brain-gut axis is a critical component in IBS. Two, it emphasizes that hypersensitivity is a key underlying pathophysiologic mechanism in the generation of symptoms in IBS patients. And finally, although not evaluated in this study, these findings point out that therapeutic options for patients with IBS should focus on treating both the hypersensitive gut and the hypersensitive CNS."

http://www.medscape....rticle/544018_2

--------------------

Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the Brain new
      #359983 - 07/28/10 02:41 AM
capricorn1942

This article addresses physical changes in the brain of ibsers. However, it does not contradict gut/brain:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=118360

Cheers.

--------------------

Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the Brain new
      #359986 - 07/28/10 07:15 AM
Syl

If you read the full paper in the conclusions the authors say they don't know if the observed volumetric changes in the grey matter are related to primary alterations in brain, or if they are a consequence of altered visceral signaling to the brain. In other words, they still don't know if IBS is a result of problems in the gut, the brain or both or even if there are a variety of subtypes each with its own specific cause. What the study does show is the IBS is an organic problem and it is not caused psychological disorders.

--------------------

Pain is amplified by the Brain new
      #359987 - 07/28/10 08:17 AM
capricorn1942

There is one more important point in the article which bears mentioning:

"In chronic pain syndromes, nerves constantly send increased pain signals to the brain. But in IBS, the brain itself seems to be amplifying pain signals it receives from the bowel."

Which seems to say that the brain by itself is responsible for increased pain beyond pain signals transmitted from the gut to the brain via the gut/brain interface.

Cheers.

--------------------

Re: Pain is amplified by the Brain new
      #359988 - 07/28/10 08:29 AM
Syl

Conconcious pain maybe amplified in the brain but the cause of the pain maybe in the gut. Remove the cause and lose the pain For example, this research doesn't address things like post-infectious IBS from GI infections which is unlikely to be a problem in the brain. There are likely many subtypes of IBS.

--------------------

#359989 - 07/28/10 08:53 AM
capricorn1942

Yes, take away the gut pain and there is no pain to amplify.

However, I see no indication that the 55 individuals were from any specific ibs sub-types and if there was a somewhat random selection, then the pain amplification applies to most if not all of the sub types included.

Cheers.

--------------------

#359990 - 07/28/10 09:49 AM
Syl

All 106 individuals in the study were women - the selection wasn't completely random. By the ROME definition pain is associated with IBS irrespective of subtype so the 55 women with IBS had pain. Only 17 of the 55 were classified as pain-predominant - this is a very small size. A simple explanation could be that the normal individuals didn't have a cause of pain in the gut but the IBS individuals did. As I mentioned, in the original article the authors say they don't know if the change in grey matter in the cognitive pain region of the brain is due to primary alterations in brain or if they are a consequence of altered visceral signaling to the brain. This is an interesting study that adds significant to what is known but it still leaves the question as to the cause of IBS and associated pain a mystery.

--------------------

#359991 - 07/28/10 10:39 AM
shawneric

from the 6th annual symposium on functional disorders.

Some of the major research advances that support the intergrated or biopsyhosocial approach include

Demonstration of post infectious IBS as a brain gut axis disorder.

http://www.iffgd.org/store/viewproduct/199

One thing to know here is serotonin is the neurotransmitter that releases from the gut and singals to the brain the gut is in pain.

--------------------

#359992 - 07/28/10 10:44 AM
Syl

While PI-IBS may effect the brain-gut axis there is no indication that PI-IBS down regulates pain control centers in the brain. Beside serotonin other signaling mechanisms such as CRF (corticotropin-releasing hormone) have been implicated too.

--------------------

#359995 - 07/28/10 11:24 AM
shawneric

They have already demonstrated PI IBS as a brain gut axis disorder.

This is one reason why not all people with an enteric infection develop IBS.

The CRF is anotheer issue with the brain and signals coming from the gut. The gut singals the brain and the brain realeases CRF and signals back to the gut. This is part of the HPA axis responce. It singals mast cells in the gut and they release histimine unto the smooth muscle and that contributes to the pain.

Readers' Exchange
Defining Stress in IBS
Fall 2003

From Arizona -- Thank you so much for your efforts and support for those of us with GI disorders. Your first issue (Spring 2003) of Digestive Health Matters is both professional and informative. I would like to comment on one of the articles - "The CNS: Center for Neurovisceral Sciences and Women's Health at UCLA." I am encouraged to know that steps are being taken for funding research of IBS and interstitial cystitis. However, it is discouraging that researchers are still expending time and money to research "neurobiological mechanisms by which stress modulates brain-visceral interaction." I realize that stress is a popular theory in the discussion of IBS triggers, however, I believe this is completely backward and it is the chronic pain and totally unreliable bowel function of an IBS sufferer which causes the greatest stress. If research would focus on "fixing" the bowel, no doubt the panic and fear of IBS would be greatly alleviated.

Comment from Emeran A. Mayer, M.D. -- In contrast to the common interpretation of the term "stress" as a psychological phenomenon, it should be understood as any real or perceived perturbation of an organism's homeostasis, or state of harmony or balance. For example, in this viewpoint a severe hemorrhage, starvation, extreme temperature, or worry about the unpredictable onset of abdominal pain all qualify as stressors -- some as "physical" stressors, others as "psychological" stressors. The fear to leave the house in the morning without knowing if one can make it to work without having to stop on the freeway because of an uncontrollable bowel movement, or the fear of experiencing uncontrollable abdominal discomfort during an important business meeting are sufficient stressors to activate the central stress system.

The central stress system involves the release of chemical stress mediators in the brain (such as corticotropin releasing factor), which in turn orchestrate an integrated autonomic, behavioral, neuroendocrine, and pain modulatory response. This biological response in turn will alter the way the brain and the viscera interact, and this altered brain-gut interaction can result in worsening of IBS symptoms. Thus, pain and discomfort, fear of these symptoms, activation of the stress response, and modulation of the brain-gut interactions by stress mediators are part of a vicious cycle which need to be interrupted to produce symptom relief.

The neurobiology of stress is not a theory, but a topic that can be studied in animal models, and one of the hottest topics in drug development for treatment of IBS (e.g., substance P antagonists, corticotropin releasing factor antagonists).

Merck Manual

"In this disorder, the digestive tract is especially sensitive to many stimuli. Stress, diet, drugs, hormones, or minor irritants may cause the digestive tract to contract abnormally, usually leading to diarrhea. Periods of constipation may occur between bouts of diarrhea. Irritable bowel syndrome affects women 3 times more often than men.

The brain has enormous control over the digestive system. Stress, anxiety, depression, fear, and virtually any strong emotion can lead to diarrhea, constipation, and other changes in bowel function and can further worsen a flare-up (bout or attack) of irritable bowel syndrome."

http://www.merck.com...129/ch129d.html

Dr Wood's comments for me

"Dr. Jack Wood, a renowned physiologist at The Ohio State University calls the ENS the little-brain-in-the-gut.

"Dear Shawn:

Sorry for the delayed reply to your question. I generally agree with Dr. Drosssman's response. A subgroup of individuals when they become sensitized to specific molecules in certain foods respond to ingestion of the molecules with symptoms of cramping abdominal pain, fecal urgency and explosive watery diarrhea. These are also the primary symptoms of diarrhea-predominant IBS. Enteric mast cells, by mechanisms we don't understand, become sensitized to the food molecule and respond to its presence by releasing a signal to the brain-in-the-gut (ENS) which is interpreted as a threat. The ENS responds by running a program which organizes secretion and motility into a behavior pattern of the bowel, which rapidly clears the threat from the lumen. Because to be effective secretion occurs in large volumes and the contractions that accomplish rapid propulsion are strong, running of the program has the side effects of diarrhea and cramping pain.

Big brain input to mast cells during stress activates the mast cells to evoke the symptoms resulting from exposure of the mast cells to sensitizing food antigens. Aside from food allergens and mast cells, certain chemicals such as those in hot peppers, stimulate sensory nerves in the ENS and we are beginning to understand how this can also lead to food-related symptoms that might mimic or exacerbate IBS.

Hope this helps,

Jackie (Jack) D. Wood "

FYI

"You have two brains: one in your head and another in your gut. Dr. Jackie D. Wood is a renowned physiologist at The Ohio State University. He calls the second brain, "the-little-brain-in-the-gut." This enteric nervous system is part of the autonomic nervous system and contains over one hundred million neurons, which is as many as are in the spinal cord. This complex network of nerves lines the walls of the digestive tract form the esophagus all the way down to the colon. This little brain in the gut is connected to the big brain by the vagus nerves, bundles of nerve fibers running from the GI tract to the head. All neurotransmitters, such as serotonin that are found in the brain are also present in the gut.

Dr Wood has discovered that this little-brain-in-the-gut has programs that are designed for our protection and which are very much like computer programs. They respond to perceived threats in the same way that the limbic system or the emotional brain does. So the threat of a gastrointestinal infection can activate the program that increases gut contractions in order to get rid of the infection. The symptoms are abdominal cramping and diarrhea.

Dr. Wood has determined that a type of cell found in the body and the gut, called the mast cell, is a key to understanding the connection of the big brain in the head with the little-brain-in-the-gut. Mast cells are involved in defense of the body. In response to certain threats or triggers, such as pollen or infection, mast cells release chemicals, such as histamine, that help to fight off the invader. Histamine is one of the chemicals that causes the symptoms of an allergy or a cold. When an infection of the gut occurs, such as food poisoning or gastroenteritis, the mast cells of the gut release histamine. The little-brain-in-the-gut interprets the mast cell signal of histamine release as a threat and calls up a protective program designed to remove the threat at the expense of symptoms: abdominal pain and diarrhea.

The brain to mast cell connection has a direct clinical relevance for irritable bowel syndrome and other functional gastrointestinal syndromes. It implies a mechanism for linking allostasis and the good stress response to irritable states (e.g., abdominal pain and diarrhea) of the gut. Mast cells can be activated to release histamine in response to perceived psychological stress, whether the stressor or trigger is consciously perceived or not. So the end result is the same as if an infection activated the program in the-little-brain-in-the-gut: abdominal pain and diarrhea."

So two majorally important cells in the gut are enterochromaffin cells and mast cells. The enterochromaffin cells or EC cells release serotonin to start gut contractions. This process helps explain d and c and d/c.

The alteration in the gut is seen as a "threat" by the brain and the brain's hpa axis is then activated.

These cells are embedded in the lining of the gut brain and are close to each other.

IN PI IBS they have found an increase of both these cells embedded in the gut.

"By using sophisticated imaging techniques that allow us to visualize the activity of the living human brain (see “Looking Into the Living Human Brain”), researchers at the UCLA Neuroenteric Disease Section have recently identified for the first time the regions within the brain that are involved in the perception and modulation of visceral sensations, including visceral pain. In addition, by comparing brain responses to an acute intestinal stimulus between healthy control subjects, patients suffering from IBS, and patients with ulcerative colitis, they were able to identify specific alterations in how the brains of IBS patients process and respond to acute colonic pain."

History of functional disorders.

MOTILITYIn healthy subjects, stress can increase motility in the esophagus, stomach, small and large intestine and colon. Abnormal motility can generate a variety of GI symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, acute abdominal pain, and fecal incontinence. Functional GI
patients have even greater increased motility in response to stressors in comparison to normal subjects. While abnormal motility plays a vital role in understanding many of the functional GI disorders and their symptoms, it is not sufficient to explain reports of chronic or recurrent abdominal pain.

VISCERAL HYPERSENSITIVITY Visceral hypersensitivity helps to account for disorders associated with chronic or recurrent pain, which are not well correlated with changes in gastrointestinal motility, and in some cases, where
motility disturbances do not exist. Patients suffering from visceral hypersensitivity have a lower pain threshold with balloon distension of the bowel or have increased sensitivity to even normal intestinal function. Additionally, there may be an increased or unusual area of somatic referral of visceral pain. Recently it has been concluded that visceral hypersensitivity may be induced in
response to rectal or colonic distension in normal subjects, and to a greater degree, in persons with IBS. Therefore, it is possible that the pain of functional GI disorders may relate to sensitization resulting from chronic abnormal motor hyperactivity, GI infection, or trauma/injury to the viscera.

BRAIN-GUT AXIS
The concept of brain-gut interactions brings together observations relating to motility and visceral hypersensitivity and their modulation by psychosocial factors. By integrating intestinal and CNS central nervous system activity, the brain-gut axis explains the symptoms relating to functional GI disorders. In other words, senses such as vision and smell, as well as enteroceptive information (i.e. emotion and thought) have the capability to affect gastrointestinal sensation,
motility, secretion, and inflammation. Conversely, viscerotopic effects reciprocally affect central
pain perception, mood, and behavior. For example, spontaneously induced contractions of the colon in rats leads to activation of the locus coeruleus in the pons, an area closely connected to pain and emotional centers in the brain. Jointly, the increased arousal or anxiety is associated with a decrease in the frequency of MMC activity of the small bowel possibly mediated by stress hormones in the brain. Based on these observations, ccc it is no longer rational to try to discriminate whether physiological or psychological factors produce pain or other bowel symptoms. Instead, the Functional GI disorders are understood in terms of dysregulation of brain-gut function, and the task is to determine to what degree each is remediable. Therefore, a treatment approach
consistent with the concept of brain-gut dysfunction may focus on the neuropeptides and receptors that are present in both enteric and central nervous systems.

med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/historyfunctionaldisorders.pdf

--------------------

#360000 - 07/28/10 12:12 PM
Syl

The comments were directed to capricorn1942's link to a news article on the MRI study that you and Gaga posted links to. The point was that while the MRI study was interesting it did not show that all IBS pain is a result of down regulation or inhibition of the pain cognition control centers in the brain. This is further confirmed by your comments on studies that show CRF signals mast cells to release histimine contributing to pain. In other words CRF contributes to pain without directly effecting the pain control centers in the brain. It wasn't a discussion about the validity of brain-gut dysfunction theory

--------------------

#360002 - 07/28/10 01:28 PM
shawneric

Its part of the brain-gut dysfunction theory. The gut first singals the brain and the brain signals the gut. But the gut can upset the brain and the brain can upset the gut.

One thing to note here, is inflammation cannot be a biomarker in IBS, because it doesn't always cause pain. All people with celiac sprue have inflammation, but not all of them have pain.

This is something that all the people in thrid world countries who get enteric gut infections all don't get PI IBS. There are important issues that make people more likely to get PI IBS.

This was from 2004 from the same center at ucla and DR Mayer.

Minerva Med. 2004 Oct;95(5):419-26.

The pathophysiology of irritable bowel syndrome.
Schwetz I, Bradesi S, Mayer EA.

Center of Neurovisceral Sciences and Women's Health (CNS), Division of Digestive Diseases and Brain Research Institute, Department of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA.

Abstract
Recent studies have provided evidence to suggest a possible role for mucosal immune activation in the pathophysiology of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). On the other hand, novel findings using functional brain-imaging techniques support the concept that altered perception of visceral stimuli plays a key role in IBS symptom generation. These seemingly contradictory findings have revived the discussion about the relative contribution of peripheral versus central mechanisms in the symptom generation of IBS. In this review, we will provide evidence for the hypothesis that, in the absence of changes in visceral perception and alterations in endogenous pain modulation systems, chronic inflammatory mucosal changes in the gut are not a plausible mechanism to explain the presence of chronic abdominal pain, a clinical hallmark of IBS.

So its not inflammation that is a "plausible mechanism" for pain in IBS. And the "changes in visceral perception and alterations in endogenous pain modulation systems" by the brain are believe to be essential to pain in IBS.

Normal digestion in IBS can cause pain, but not in normals and all pain is of course processed in the brain.

The CRF is generated from the HPA axis and is a top down issue from a responce to the top up issues. But it doesn't make either one less important, because both are going on and causing symptoms and both can be treated.

The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis (HPA or HTPA axis), also known as the limbic-hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis (LHPA axis) and, occasionally, as the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal-gonadotropic axis, is a complex set of direct influences and feedback interactions among the hypothalamus, the pituitary gland (a pea-shaped structure located below the hypothalamus), and the adrenal (or suprarenal) glands (small, conical organs on top of the kidneys). The interactions among these organs constitute the HPA axis, a major part of the neuroendocrine system that controls reactions to stress and regulates many body processes, including digestion, the immune system, mood and emotions, sexuality, and energy storage and expenditure.

Its a major part of the bodies stress responce and reaction, but also helps fight infections and pathogens in the gut. This is in part why they see macroscopic inflammation of specific cells in the gut and the surrounding tissue.

But mast cells are just one of the problems, there is much more evidence for serotonin dysregulation from ec cells.

The point here is it is more effective to treat both the brain and the gut for the best outcomes, because they are both operational to cause the symptoms. Some of this is like the domino effect.

This might be interesting as well. Dr Mayer responds in this to a study from the UNC. They are basically on the same page and collaborate with each center.

Pain Sensitivity in Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Study
What causes pain sensitivity in IBS patients?
An article by Spencer D. Dorn, M.D. et al published in the journal Gut (2007;56;1202-1209) entitled, "Increased colonic pain sensitivity in IBS is the result of an increased tendency to report pain rather than increased neurosensory sensitivity" was reported by Reuters, the world's largest international multimedia news agency, under the headline, "Pain sensitivity in IBS patients may be psychological." But is this interpretation correct; and if not, how should we interpret these findings?

In this summary and commentary, clinician and researcher Emeran A. Mayer, M.D. offers a different perspective. Following Dr. Mayer's comments, Spencer D. Dorn, M.D. and William E. Whitehead, Ph.D., two authors of the study, respond. Finally, we add an editorial comment.

Summary and Commentary by Emeran A. Mayer, M.D.
The study by Dorn and a group of experienced investigators is a well designed and executed research study of 121 patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and 28 healthy control subjects. The goal of the study was to determine if the characteristic increased perception of experimental colorectal distension ("visceral hypersensitivity") reported by many laboratories around the world is due to "physiological or psychological factors."

The authors studied the patient's subjective response to inflation of a balloon placed into the lower part of the bowel/colon, according to two well established distension protocols. One of these is thought to measure the "objective" sensitivity of the neural pathways, and the other to measure the respective tendency of an individual to "report" pain, regardless of actual neural sensitivity.

The authors confirmed previous reports that IBS patients as a group report pain and urgency (feeling the need to have a bowel movement) at significantly lower colonic distension pressures than healthy control subjects. However, using a technique called sensory decision theory (SDT) analysis, they failed to demonstrate differences in "objective" sensitivity; IBS patients and control subjects showed similar sensitivity of the neural pathways mediating the sensations of pain and urgency. The authors provide evidence that the observed lower perception thresholds for pain and urgency are fully accounted for by "an increased tendency to report pain." In addition, they show that this increased reporting tendency is weakly, but statistically significantly, correlated with psychological measures, such as somatization (frequently described as the physical expression of psychological problems) and general psychological distress.

Based on their findings the authors conclude that the increased perception of colonic distension in IBS patients is strongly influenced by a greater psychological tendency to report pain rather than a "real" physiological hypersensitivity.

Commentary
Even though this is an interesting and important study, the conceptual model and hypotheses on which the study is based are very limited and result in a message to investigators and physicians, to the public, and particularly to affected patients, which is highly problematic. I would like to point out the most striking of these problems.

1.The human pain experience is multidimensional. It is influenced by a variety of factors, including input from sensory nerve pathways, cognitive and emotional factors, the general homeostatic state of the organism, and by recall of past memories and experiences. This "deconstruction" of the human pain experiences into its multiple neurobiological dimensions has only recently become possible using sophisticated neuroimaging techniques of the brain. At the level of the brain, there is no distinction between psychological and physiological mechanisms (a main hypothesis of the authors is that there is such a distinction). Even though some aspects of the pain experience are generated in the brain by limbic circuits (such as arousal or anxiety) and others by cortical pathways (such as belief systems and coping skills) all pain dimensions are generated by neurobiological activity.
2.Unless one measures the electrical activity of sensory nerves during a painful stimulus, or looks directly at the brain activity using electroencephalographic (EEG) or neuroimaging techniques it is difficult to measure objective "neurosensory sensitivity" from subjective stimulus ratings. Any time a pain measure relies on the subjective response of a subject, it is the product of the multiple dimensions outlined in the paragraph above. Thus the study by Dorn is based on the debatable concept that any objective, neurological assessment of pain or non-painful sensations can be derived from subjective patients' responses (as opposed to direct neurological recordings of nerve or brain activity).
3.The conclusion that IBS patients don't have "real" hypersensitivity but that their subjective discomfort and ultimately symptoms are to blame on their "greater tendency to report pain" is also a problematic interpretation of their findings. Convincing evidence has been provided by several research groups that IBS patients show greater anxiety in expectation of potentially aversive stimuli to the gut or to the lower abdomen, and that this so called symptom related anxiety may play an important role in central pain amplification [increasing the pain sensation in the central nervous system] and ultimately in symptoms. Recent brain imaging studies, which visualize brain activity, have identified the biological brain circuits and mechanisms that play a role in this anticipatory anxiety, and in its role in central pain amplification. This is not a psychological (e.g., non-physiological) phenomenon, but is a dysregulation in neurobiological mechanisms related to pain sensitivity.
In summary, this is an interesting and well executed paper, which puts into serious question the concept that the enhanced perception (commonly referred to as "visceral hyperalgesia") is related to the peripheral sensitization of visceral afferent pathways (nerve pathways from the gut), for example by some type of immune activation in the gut. However, it is unfortunate that the main findings and conclusions of this article are likely to nurture the still prevailing prejudice, that IBS patients like to complain about symptoms that are not real, and that this tendency is a reflection of their psychological problems. As long as we continue to divide symptoms into those that are psychological in nature, and therefore not as real as those that are physiological and organic, we will never understand some of the most common and burdensome chronic illnesses such as IBS, depression, and chronic pain syndromes.

Emeran A. Mayer, M.D., Professor of Medicine, Physiology, Psychiatry & Biobehavioral Sciences; Director, Center for Neurovisceral Sciences & Women's Health, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA

Authors' Reply to Dr. Mayer: Better Understanding of the Pain Experience May Lead to Better Treatment
Dr. Mayer is critical of the methods we used to study the pain experiences of IBS patients and suggests that neuroimaging of the brain may have advantages over our techniques. We will give our views of these alternative methods for studying pain below. However, the most important issue, as the last paragraph of Dr. Mayer's commentary makes clear, is his concern that our study findings might harm IBS patients by reinforcing the prejudices of some physicians that IBS is "only" a psychological disorder. We share the concern that readers might jump to simplistic conclusions rather than trying to understand the complexity of the pain experience. However, we carried out and published our study in the belief that, in the long run, well conducted research will benefit IBS patients by leading to more appropriate treatments, even though the research findings may seem unpopular at first.

Dr. Mayer acknowledges that the human pain experience is influenced by a variety of factors that include sensory nerve pathways, cognitive and emotional factors, and past memories and experiences. However, he argues that this complexity cannot be studied by techniques such as sensory decision theory which analyze the ways patients describe their subjective experiences in response to pain stimuli; he argues that only sophisticated neuroimaging of the brain can achieve this. While we agree that functional brain imaging (i.e., identifying which areas of the brain become more active in response to pain sensations from the bowel) is an important new method for increasing our understanding of visceral pain, we do not believe it has achieved the precision of methods such as sensory decision theory as yet. Not enough is known about what specific parts of the brain do, and it is clear that brain activation reflects a mixture of sensory, cognitive, and emotional influences. This makes it difficult to disentangle different influences on the pain experience. Sensory decision theory and other techniques of cognitive science, on the other hand, have a long developmental history, and the meaning of the findings is well worked out.

Dr. Mayer is critical of our assumption that it is useful to distinguish between physiological and psychological contributions to pain. We believe that this distinction is important; we believe, for example, that it is important to distinguish the influence on pain of a recent attack of gastroenteritis from the effects of fear and expectancy because these different causes of pain are likely to require very different treatments. We agree with Dr. Mayer that psychological processes have a biological basis (namely the electrical impulses in neurons), and that psychological processes therefore influence which parts of the brain are most active. The problem, in our view, is that examining images of brain activation does not as yet allow us to distinguish between physiological factors such as gastroenteritis and psychological factors such as worrying about whether we have cancer. Such distinctions are important, and they are readily appreciated by asking patients to report about their subjective experiences.

Our findings are supportive of other recent research on visceral pain and how to go about relieving it. Dr. Mayer notes that several research groups including his own have shown that anxiety related to the expectation of abdominal pain plays an important role in central pain amplification and ultimately in symptoms. That is the conclusion of our study.

We do not believe, nor do we imply, that IBS patients are falsely reporting what they experience. However, our study shows that IBS patients are no better at telling the difference between two intensities of pain than anyone else, and they tend to label unpleasant sensations as painful at lower intensities than most other people. This is not unique to patients with IBS; it has been observed in patients with other chronic pain conditions. We believe this is important because it makes a difference in which treatments are likely to benefit patients with IBS. These observations may be difficult to understand or even uncomfortable to accept, but our conviction is that knowledge brings power for good.

Spencer Dorn, M.D., and William E. Whitehead, Ph.D., University of North Carolina Center for Functional GI and Motility Disorders, Chapel Hill, NC

Editors' Comment a Final Note
We think it is important that any article about a study of the perception of pain in IBS be sensitive to the long history of negative attribution aimed at the IBS patient. That the disorder is "all in their head" remains a popular notion. Reuters reporting the Dorn study under the angle, "Pain sensitivity in IBS patients may be psychological," helps perpetuate that notion.

Despite the educational efforts of professional groups such as the Rome committees and of advocacy groups such as IFFGD, misconceptions persist that IBS is not "legitimate." Or that it's a nuisance or that the patients are a nuisance. The satirist/commentator Bill Maher, on a 2006 segment of the TV show, Real Time with Bill Maher, said: "I mean, it seems as if every time I turn on the TV these days, I see some ad for some drug I never heard of to treat some disease I never heard of. That's not a stomach ache you have from eating the chili-cheese fries at Johnny Rockets, it's Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Or IBS. Or as I call it, BS." A similar opinion by Maher was published in an op-ed piece in the Los Angeles Times. Attitudes like this seem rooted in society. They spill over into the normal support channels for people with IBS, including their family members and even clinicians. What's more, they affect attitudes among regulators and funding agencies.

Perhaps it should not be surprising that Bill Maher and others have never heard of IBS; it's a disorder that most sufferers have a hard time talking about. But perpetuating misconceptions about the disorder will only reinforce the desire to keep silent about it, making it even harder for people with IBS to find proper care.

We know that pain is perceived in the brain, and that a host of emotional and cognitive factors interplay with stimulus to create that perception. It is important to keep in mind that these influences on pain may not distinguish individuals with IBS from those with other chronic pain conditions. (Published studies have compared IBS patients with control groups of healthy individuals.) As Drs. Dorn and Whitehead say in their response above, "(labeling) unpleasant sensations as painful at lower intensities than most other people is not unique to patients with IBS; it has been observed in patients with other chronic pain conditions."

Well designed studies avoid factors that would bias results. But when talking about IBS, it is the audience that is likely biased. We think researchers promoting understanding of the disorder need to consider that bias when reporting their findings. An explanation in the Dorn article of how humans, with or without IBS, process pain would have provided perspective that may have helped avoid, in effect, shining a spotlight on the IBS patient as if they are somehow different.

It is extraordinary that IBS researchers, pursuing scientific explanations to help a population of suffering people, must also explain that this suffering is real. But it seems to yet be necessary.

William F. Norton, Publications Editor, IFFGD

I think we are basically on the same page as well Syl, just looking at it a little differently. This is the first study to show actual structural difference in the brain of IBS patients, although all women. So it has important ramifications to all IBS research.

This was from one of the chats with the experts. Part of the point I am trying to make.

"Psychophysiological arousal is the core of treating functional gi disorders. There is so much distress, anxiety, antisipatory anxiety, and negative reaction to symptoms, that calming the mind and body often makes a significant difference to symptoms."

Reagardless of where all the problems/biomarkers may lie.

This is a more holitic approach to the whole person and the symptoms.

If I am not mistaken Dr Mayer believes there is a problem with how the brain is responding to signals from the gut and the bidirectional communication between the gut brain and brain. They are so closely intertwined they look at them as all part of the same system. They have found problems in both the gut and the brain now.

--------------------

#360018 - 07/29/10 10:17 AM
shawneric

Heather wrote this

Brain-Gut Dysfunction
Brain-Gut Dysfunction & Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable Bowel Syndrome, as defined by the Rome Critera diagnostic guidelines, is characterized as a brain-gut dysfunction.

http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/braingut.asp

--------------------

#360019 - 07/29/10 11:36 AM
Syl

I am quite familiar with the brain-gut dysfunction theory and Heather's writing on the topic too. I don't have any problems with either understanding it or generally accepting it. I did have questions about your distinction between a scientific theory and a scientific hypothesis. Shawneric, what point are you trying to make?

--------------------

#360020 - 07/29/10 11:51 AM
shawneric

The point I am making is IBS is "Irritable Bowel Syndrome, as defined by the Rome Critera diagnostic guidelines, is characterized as a brain-gut dysfunction."

So its not a hypothesis anymore but a scientific theory, supported by testing,observations and peer review. I think this is important for people to truely understand for a variety of reasons, including treatments. Treating both the brain and the gut and helping to understand what causes the symptoms or the many things that can triggers the symptoms.

Its also important to know for some, "its not all in the head" but that the brain is still involved for good and for bad.

--------------------

#360021 - 07/29/10 12:09 PM
Syl

I accept and understand everything you wrote and I denfinitely know IBS is a physical problem.

Recall Hawkins wrote "Any physical theory is always provisional, in the sense that it is only a hypothesis; you can never prove it. No matter how many times the results of experiments agree with some theory, you can never be sure that the next time the result will not contradict the theory. On the other hand, you can disprove a theory by finding even a single observation that disagrees with the predictions of the theory." I don't accept your differentiation between theory and hypothesis. However, that issue is off the topic of this board and better left for discussion on elsewhere.

--------------------

#360022 - 07/29/10 01:16 PM
shawneric

syl, understanding science is one of my specialties.

Evolution is an established scientific fact. Billions of facts support the theory in all of the earth sciences and no other theory has been able to explain it in 150 years. It has also made predictions that were tested and found to be true.

So its highly unlikely a single observation will change it. Some new observation could modify it some however.

I have been doing it a long time in many of the physical sciences. I totally understand the process very well. I also understand what your saying about it as well.

A hypothesis is the third step in the scientific method.

Make an observation

ask a question

make a hypothesis

do experiments

did the experiments work-if not try new tests

Develop a theory

Do more tests

A scientific theory is stronger then just a hypothesis.

"And here I think the term "theory" needs to be looked at the way scientists consider it. A theory is not just something that we think of in the middle of the night after too much coffee and not enough sleep. That's an idea. A theory, in science, means a large body of information that's withstood a lot of testing. It probably consists of a number of different hypotheses and many different lines of evidence. Gravitation is a theory that's unlikely to be falsified, even if we saw something fall up. It might make us wonder, but we'd try to figure out what was happening rather than immediately just dismiss gravitation.

Facts are just the minutiae of science. By themselves, they can be right or wrong. But a theory is something that has been tested and tested over and over again, built on, revised. It continues to be reworked and revised."

"Scientists have a theory of why the sky is blue. One day you could wake up to find the sky is green and the "blue-sky theory" was wrong, but that's not likely to happen either"

Words have precise meanings in science. For example, 'theory', 'law', and 'hypothesis' don't all mean the same thing. Outside of science, you might say something is 'just a theory', meaning it's supposition that may or may not be true. In science, a theory is an explanation that generally is accepted to be true. Here's a closer look at these important, commonly misused terms.
Hypothesis

A hypothesis is an educated guess, based on observation. Usually, a hypothesis can be supported or refuted through experimentation or more observation. A hypothesis can be disproven, but not proven to be true.

Theory

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis or group of hypotheses that have been supported with repeated testing. A theory is valid as long as there is no evidence to dispute it. Therefore, theories can be disproven. Basically, if evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, then the hypothesis can become accepted as a good explanation of a phenomenon. One definition of a theory is to say it's an accepted hypothesis.

Law

A law generalizes a body of observations. At the time it is made, no exceptions have been found to a law. Scientific laws explain things, but they do not describe them. One way to tell a law and a theory apart is to ask if the description gives you a means to explain 'why'.

As you can see, there is no 'proof' or absolute 'truth' in science. The closest we get are facts, which are indisputable observations. Note, however, if you define proof as arriving at a logical conclusion, based on the evidence, then there is 'proof' in science. I work under the definition that to prove something implies it can never be wrong, which is different. If you're asked to define hypothesis, theory, and law, keep in mind the definitions of proof and of these words can vary slightly depending on the scientific discipline. What is important is to realize they don't all mean the same thing and cannot be used interchangeably.

--------------------

#360024 - 07/29/10 01:43 PM
Syl

I am intimately familiar with scientific methods, hypotheses, theories and laws. I have published a considerable number of peer-reviewed scientific papers. I would be happy to continue this discussion by email if you wish.
Cheers

--------------------

#360028 - 07/29/10 02:57 PM
shawneric

Were basically on the same page Syl. I think were actually in agreement on all of it.

What did you publish papers on it would be cool to read them. Can you send them to me? It would be cool to talk to you on the phone sometime perahaps if possible.

falcon@webpotential.com

--------------------

I will email you -nt- new
      #360030 - 07/29/10 04:17 PM
Syl

--------------------

Inflammation identified in ibs new
      #360684 - 08/30/10 05:33 PM
capricorn1942

New research revealed:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-08/tum-pta081910.php

Cheers.

--------------------

#360685 - 08/30/10 10:36 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

Have by no means read all the replies to this post, but just a note on the debate. From what I'v observed the definition of IBS is largely arbitrary. In the broadest sense, it has been applied to any kind of chronic digestive disturbance that has no other explanation.

For my own part, I absolutely have my own IBS due to psychological problems, ie the brain-gut element is acutely valid in my case. I have often had empirical evidence of this over the years in that more emotional harmony in my life led to things going smoothly in the bathroom area as well. Besides, I had symptoms indicative of disturbed seratonin levels well before IBS struck and when I still had no digestive issues whatsoever. I think the problem may often lie with the nature of the umbrella term that is IBS and its ambiguous definition.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#360687 - 08/31/10 05:03 AM
Syl

Just for clarification. The brain-gut dysfunction is a physiological dysfunction not a psychological dysfunction. However, psychological disorders and stress can exacerbate the physiological brain-gut dysfunction. If you read the article linked to in the last posting in this thread you will see the latest in a long list of research evidence that illustrates IBS is a physiological not a psychological disorder.

--------------------

#360689 - 08/31/10 06:55 AM
capricorn1942

Isn't this the first evidence for a physical abnormality in the gut for IBSers? Maybe some progress is being made.

Cheers

--------------------

#360691 - 08/31/10 07:45 AM
Syl

There has been other evidence. In the body of the paper in the first paragraph the authors talk about a few other disease mechanism some of which have physical evidence associated with them. For example microscopic abnormalities have been seen in individuals with post-infectious IBS. Some of the authors of the paper published previous research on the role of mast cells which likely set the stage for the current research that was reported. Here is what the authors say "Currently, disease mechanisms involve components of the central nervous system, peripheral organ dysfunction and altered visceral sensitivity, prior enteric infections, microscopic abnormalities in the gut wall and/or signs of low-grade mucosal inflammation and immune imbalance and an impaired mucosal barrier function."

The findings report in the article you linked to is a particularly interesting physiological finding. It will be interesting to see how this line of investigation proceeds.

--------------------

#360695 - 08/31/10 11:05 AM
CellSalts_Work

But if it is not psychological but is physiological, does that mean that hypnosis for instance cannot cure IBS? (or any other remedy of the sort like mediation/relaxation should not even help?) I apologise, I think I am unsure to what these terms mean. Physiological for instance, what exactly does that mean?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360696 - 08/31/10 12:27 PM
Syl

Physiological means IBS has an organic or biological basis as opposed to a psychological or mental basis. There isn't a cure for IBS. So hypnosis and meditation/relaxation cannot cure IBS. They are techniques for managing symptoms just like diet and cognitive behavior therapy which aren't cures either.

Consider the article linked to in the last posting in this thread. Cells were collected from the colon of IBS-D, IBS-C and normal individuals from biopsies. Extracts from these cells were applied to nerves from the gut. The extract from normal individuals did not cause the nerve cells to trigger while extracts from IBS-D and IBS-D individuals did. In other words there was something produced by IBS suffers that stimulated the colonic nerves. Further investigation revealed organic materials (histamine, serotonin and proteases) from the cells IBS suffers were causing the nerve cells to trigger. No mental or psychological processes were involved. Similarly, biopsies from the colon of individuals with post infectious IBS revealed localized micro-inflammation. In other words there was physiological or organic damage to the colon cells.

The brain-gut dysfunction in IBS is an organic or biological problem in the way the gut and brain communicate. Needless to say mental processes can affect the brain-gut communication but they don't cause the underlying IBS.

--------------------

Re: Inflammation identified in ibs new
      #360698 - 08/31/10 01:16 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Can these findings be put to use? Can this histimine or whatnot that they tested and said it improved symptoms be purchased?

Syl, do you know anything along these lines? I know you've said before there was a connection between IBS and microscopic inflammation.

#360699 - 08/31/10 02:03 PM
CellSalts_Work

I accept all this, although as I understand (understood) it, I always thought that IBS was a functional disorder, ie was it not for the faulty communication between the brain and gut, people could be cured? Apparently, this is incorrect then?

I'm a bit puzzled that you say that hypnosis can't cure IBS. There have been success stories? In fact there have been people whose digestion has never ever been as good pre-hypnosis as post-hypnosis, ever?

My personal case: even pre-IBS I had a sensitive digestive system, and I have had insomnia ever since I can remember and I have had very mild OCD/depression since I was a teenager. I believed the root cause to all this (and my subsequent IBS) was flawed seratonin levels/functioning. I was on a very small dose of Zoloft (SSRI anti-depressant, right?) for a couple of months, it helped all round, with the IBS and the other problems as well. I am by no means being deliberately obtruse but I am not a scientist (surprise! ) and I am perplexed. Is OCD/depression/insomnia psychological or physiological? I thought all these problems of mine were connected? Do you/ any other fellow sufferer not have any other woes apart from the IBS?

I am still utterly gobsmacked that you said that hypnosis cannot cure people! I've only ever done self-hypnosis btw and that in itself has helped tremendously, I was about to invest in proper hypnosis once I got back to London not worth it then?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360700 - 08/31/10 02:48 PM
Syl

Oh - hypnosis is definitely effective along with other techniques such as biofeedback for managing symptoms. Unfortunately, they aren't cures. There is an internationally recognized functional GI disorder clinic in Manchester headed by Prof. Whorwell who did some of the ground break working with gut directed hypnotherapy and IBS. You might check it out.

The complete definition of a functional GI disorder and a variety of types are given on the IFFGD webs site. A functional GI disorder means that there is a impairment of GI function and structural abnormalities can not be detect using conventional means (x-ray, blood test, etc.). However, technology has advance and new techniques have evolved. Recently some structural and organic changes have been identified. However, these changes many not be primary causes of a disorder but secondary effects. It will be interesting to see how this mystery unfolds.

--------------------

Re: Inflammation identified in ibs new
      #360702 - 08/31/10 04:31 PM
Syl

That is the billion dollar question

It is early days but there indications that researchers are getting a better idea of where and what to look for. There is a hint of a practical side. A previous study reported that clinical tests of a new generation of antihistamine drug, Ketotifin, that works on mast cells in the gut showed "decreases visceral hypersensitivity and improves intestinal symptoms in patients with irritable bowel syndrome". So the research in the new article appears to follow this general line of investigation in detail. It goes a bit further and shows that the effects of histamine, serotonin and proteases (enzymes that breakdown proteins) found in the extract of IBS suffers that excited gut nerves can be turned on and off using special chemicals.

It will be interesting to see where it leads them.

--------------------

#360709 - 09/01/10 01:24 AM
CellSalts_Work

mmm.. thanks. I still clearly recall that there have been cases reported when people with IBS went to a professional hypnotherapist regularly for a month, it 'cured' the IBS (in that they could eat anything, at any time, in any combination, yet they had no C or D or pain or bloating, after the hypnotherapy). This heavenly state persisted even after the hypnosis sessions ended for good. How it was explained: their brain-gut communication had just been corrected. Was this just a tall tale, could this not be true in your opinion?

(I do believe you but I don't want you to be right and I don't want to think that there is no cure for IBS. Go ,naively optimistic me!!)

Incidentally, just what is a cure... if someone has high blood pressure and has to take medication every single day, they are still not cured, right? I wouldn't mind taking medication for the rest of my life to be honest if it meant an end for my digestive woes. But then there is the thing about something majorly effective being discovered like Zelnorm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegaserod
and then it being pulled from the market due to its dangerous side-effects...

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360720 - 09/01/10 08:05 AM
Syl

Cure is a strong word. It means that the treatment removed all signs of the disease forever. For example, taking an antibiotic for a bacterial infection that is completely eradicated is a cure. On the other hand taking insulin is not a cure for diabetes, it is a treatment that removes symptoms of the disease for the time being. Similarly, taking blood pressure medication to control high blood pressure isn't a cure either.

You likely have seen claims of hypnosis being a cure in the news and even on this web site. For example, in the adverts for the gut directed hypnosis section of the web site you see "Gut-Directed Hypnosis Called A "Cure!"" and in the library section you see a reference to an 2007 news report that European physicians at the Digestive Diseases Week conference claimed "Hypnotherapy Called a Cure for Pediatric Irritable Bowel Syndrome". In this instance they defined a cure as 85% of individuals had significant reduction (not 100% disappearance) in symptoms after one year. The interesting thing is that when these results were published in the peer-reviewed internationally renowed journal Gastroenterology the notion of a cure was not mentioned. It appears that the reviewers were dissatisfied with the notion that hypnosis could be called a cure for IBS.

Perhaps hypnotherapy can produce remission of a IBS symptoms in some individuals for a period of time. To the best of my knowledge there have been any studies that have looked at the life time effects of hypnosis on IBS. Also, reading postings in the hypnosis section of the board it is not unusual for individuals that have had good success to return some time later and report that the IBS symptoms are back.

The use of the word "cure" and "IBS" in the same sentence is perhaps a bit too strong of a claim. Hopefully someday there will be a cure but I am not optimistic. There is no doubt that gut directed hypnosis is an excellent tool for managing IBS symptoms for some individuals.

--------------------

#360721 - 09/01/10 08:23 AM
CellSalts_Work

Oh that was painful!

Thank you!

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 37992

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review