All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Insoluble fibre
      #359696 - 07/12/10 01:38 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Dear All,

I've been following Heather's diet for about a year now, trying to adapt it around the edges in-line with what my own body can and cannot cope with. I've had many ups and downs along the way. I was diagnosed with IBS around two years ago and then with fructose malabsorption about 9 months ago. I suffer from IBS-C with bloating.

I was first prescribed fybogel and mebeverine that left me bloated and feeling worse. I then switched fibre supplement to Heather's and I have just started to build up my dose again after a few bad weeks. (travelling) I'm at 3tsps a day at the moment.

The question I have, which I hope someone can help me with is this, if you eat too much insoluble fibre/fat in a meal (perhaps without realising/restaurant)can you, by eating soluble fibre/taking a soluble fibre supplement after the meal ease the symptoms (pain and bloating) provoked by the unsuitable meal?

Any thoughts/experience you have on this/general guidance on dealing with IBS-C would be much appreciated.

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Insoluble fibre new
      #359697 - 07/12/10 08:21 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Taken before a meal a soluble fiber supplement might help but after the meal is ingested it is unlikely to provide much benefit. You will likely have to wait it out.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359705 - 07/12/10 03:39 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I agree that taking SF after IF will probably not help at all and might make it worse. I too suffer terribly from IF. For me, what does help is eating something purely sugar/dairy like (I can handle those foods) like chocolate or ice cream because that speeds it up for me.

#359707 - 07/12/10 07:58 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If you eat too much fat in a meal, quickly try to eat FF carby type thing. For instance if you order something and it was fattier than you thought it would be and you start to worry, eat some bread or plain rice or plain potato- even liquid calories- to help balance the fat amount. Keep in mind that if fatty food hits an empty stomach most likely it will start the spasms that cause IBS. However taking in some FF cals right away can help. For IF it is similar in that if IF hits an empty stomach the damage is already done most likely. Depending on how much food you ate you might be able to balance the IF with SF but honestly it isn't likely. If you eat a fatty and IF appetizer, get some FF/SF bread ASAP and if your gut is in an ok mood it might not freak out.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4614 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1775

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review