All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I'm at a loss, need info !
      #359612 - 07/06/10 12:34 PM
LindaDB

Reged: 02/10/10
Loc: Maryland

Hi Guys,IBS-D 10 months.I take 3 TBS.Tummy fiber a day.I try hard to follow the IBS diet,I do try different safe things from time to time. I need to put some weight back on,was 135 lbs. now 118 lbs. I feel nausea and shaky once in awhile-just comes on out of the blue ? I force myself to eat anyway when it's the last thing I want to do ! Some days are ok,some not so ok,some bad, some really bad My stools are weird ! some formed but soft,some are a bunch of small pieces,some look almost normal,sometimes I don't go at all for 1 or 2 days ( this is gross)once in awhile it looks like a cow pooped in my tolet !!! Is all of this normal for IBS-D ? I need some weight back on and some strength back. I don't eat any veggies or fruit,except banana and strawberries smoothies.When I do try a veggie or fruit (fully cooked) and have a problem,I'm afraid to try again. I have been drinking Gatorade and sometimes Ensure,would V-8 juice be ok ?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm at a loss, need info ! *DELETED* new
      #359619 - 07/07/10 01:17 PM
rfwilmot

Reged: 06/26/10

Post deleted by rfwilmot

Re: I'm at a loss, need info ! new
      #359620 - 07/07/10 03:07 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Your IBS-D experiences does not sound unusual and they are similar experiences to mine when I eat foods with too much insoluble fiber or too much excess fructose. For me the pebbles and C like symptoms are usually caused by too much insoluble fiber irritating the gut causing GI spasms.

My veggies are limited to peeled well cooked potatoes, carrots and zucchini. I can eat small amount of peeled well cooked sweet potato from time to time. Fruit is limited to banana, deseeded kiwi and home extracted berry juice. I have tried V-8 and variety of other veggies juices with no success. You might read what Heather has to say about meal replacements and Ensure in particular.

Along with the tummy fiber just stick with the veggies and fruits you can eat. Don't worry about how much insoluble fiber you are eating for the moment. Later when you are stable you can play around. Lots of protein (chicken, turkey, fish, seafood, etc) and good sources of carbohydrate that are high in soluble fiber (pasta, potatoes and rice) should help you manage your symptoms and gain weight. Do not forget to include some healthy fats such olive oil on the potatoes or pasta. If you eat enough you should be able to gain some weight.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359622 - 07/07/10 09:43 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

i too have had the nausea and shaky feeling that comes out of the blue...not sure why it happens..i worry that it's too much sugar...i was never much of a sugar eater but i try to add it to my green tea in the mornings and also i am eating soy ice cream...i eat 1/2 gallon a week trying to gain weight..i went from 115 to 98 and now the last two months have stabled at 102..can't seem to gain anymore...i eat sourdough bread daily too...alot of it...but just can't gain anymore...

#359625 - 07/08/10 09:51 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Definitely the random shaking and nausea (along with exhaustion and occasionally my body and particularly my head heating up) are symptoms I experience that are often not tied to any particular food but happen shortly after eating.

I have also lost of ton of weight, but it's been a bad thing as I've lost a lot of muscle and my metabolism has slowed so while I'm not heavy I'm no one's example of a fit, toned individual.

Syl, you're saying having too much IF could lead to constipation? Isn't the fear for IBS-D that it would lead to the other extreme? I ask because I've noticed that when I eat "healthier" with more veggies/lower fat (so more IF, though I'm careful to base it all with white rice), that I trend C, while at the same time I can eat a lot of fat in the form of vegan chocolate chip cookies and feel absolutely fine, which doesn't seem right at all.

#359626 - 07/08/10 10:11 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I am saying that when I eat too much IF ts causes my GI tract to spasm sometimes with nausea causing many bowel movements with pebble like or chunky stools (see stool guide #1, #2 or #3). This is not C because I usually have more than 3 BMs per day but it 'seems' or 'feels' like C even though it is considered D However, other times when I eat too much IF it can cause D with stool type #5-#7

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359638 - 07/08/10 07:26 PM
cloverleaf

Reged: 07/08/10
Loc: Arizona

to MikeCa... I can also eat all the chocolate I want and have NO reactions (in fact sugar/sweets do nothing bad to me) but veggies KILL me with C and bloat.

#359646 - 07/09/10 12:34 PM
LindaDB

Thanks and good luck to you

#359647 - 07/09/10 12:37 PM
LindaDB

Thanks for your reply,and good luck to you !

#359648 - 07/09/10 12:41 PM
LindaDB

Thanks,and good luck to you !

#359650 - 07/09/10 12:43 PM
LindaDB

Thank you,and good luck to you !

#359654 - 07/09/10 12:55 PM
LindaDB

Thanks for the info,and good luck to you !

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3281 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4874

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review