All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rapid Transit & Poor Absorption
      #359393 - 06/22/10 08:18 AM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

I've been concerned the past few weeks about whether I'm getting the nutritional content of the food that I eat

Without going into graphic detail, my stool has resembled #6 on this chart
http://www.gillianmckeith.info/yourbody/health/stoolanalysispoochart.php

I used to be "IBS A," but now I almost never get constipated, and my stool usually is in the #4 to #7 range on that chart.

I've been eating a lot of nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans), which feel fine but seem to cause what I'm concerned about the next day. I also eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, both cooked and raw

Is this a sign of malabsorption, and is my health suffering as a result? What steps should I take to prevent this?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rapid Transit & Poor Absorption new
      #359395 - 06/22/10 09:09 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I am #5-#7 when I have too much insoluble fiber in my diet. Nuts, raw veggies and unpeeled cooked veggies are high in IF which stimulates the GI track , in my case increases motility and bowel spasms. I am #4 when my diet is right which is low in insoluble fiber and high in soluble fiber.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359396 - 06/22/10 09:55 AM
mcem222

Ok
I took a step back from the EFI diet after it led me down the wrong path, but I'll start looking into eating more SF

I once asked a doc about that type of stool, and she said that it was a sign of rapid transit and malabsorption. Does this have nutritional consequences if my body isn't absorbing what I eat?

#359397 - 06/22/10 10:09 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

In the long term it could have consequences in the short term it will have a marginal effect.

Try reducing the amount of insoluble fiber you are eating and increasing soluble fiber. And try staying away from raw veggies for a while and see how it goes. Keep us posted.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359475 - 06/25/10 10:48 AM
mcem222

Heres an update, Syl

I've stayed away from raw veggies for the past few days, but still had fruit.
I haven't had rice for quite some time, since it usually constipates me without fail. I decided to slowly introduce brown rice, so I've had a few tablespoons with dinner.

I also have been adding two tablespoons of ground flax seed to my diet, for the omega-3 and fiber

Thankfully, things are going well. My BM-s are normal, but its hard to keep up with all I'm eating. I'm working out and trying to gain/maintain weight, and since I've been on zoloft for the past 6-months my appetite is generally fairly large. For breakfast today, I had 3 whole eggs, 3 whites, large bowl of oatmeal w/ flax seed, fruit and tea, and a coconut bar for desert.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2083

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review