All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
wild meat
      #359298 - 06/15/10 08:12 PM
davin

Reged: 06/07/10
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta (Canada)

I was wondering if most wild meats such as deer meat, moose and elk are triggers for IBS like most red meats? Deer meet for example is very low in fat.

For one 3-ounce serving of venison, you would have approximately:

* 130 calories
* 26 grams protein
* 2 grams of fat

--------------------
IBS-D for 12 years

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: wild meat new
      #359299 - 06/15/10 08:19 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

All red meat is considered to be a trigger on the EFI diet.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359300 - 06/15/10 08:36 PM
davin

Reged: 06/07/10
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta (Canada)

But red meat is a trigger mainly due to the large fat content right? Where most wild meat is very low in fat.

--------------------
IBS-D for 12 years

#359302 - 06/16/10 03:49 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I do fine with wild turkey. Venison is a red meat. I can SOMETIMES eat it w/out consequence, but I didn't even try it until I was stable.

I should add that I have modified the IBS diet to fit my tolerances these days. There are some foods that I can tolerate that are technically triggers. I followed the diet closely for at least a year and a half and was very stable before I branched out and tested my tolerances.

Edited by Snorkie (06/16/10 11:01 AM)

#359304 - 06/16/10 05:02 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is not only the fat. Red meat is dense in protein and connective tissue as well as fat making it more difficult to digest and it slows GI motility which can exacerbate IBS symptoms. However, as with all things IBS you may be able to get away with eating small amounts from time to time. So you may have to figure it out yourself. This board follows the EFI diet which has as one of its foundations no red meat so you likely won't get much support for it here.

By the way - are you IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A? It is helpful to put it in your signature line.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359325 - 06/16/10 07:51 PM
CamilleH

Reged: 05/24/10
Loc: Colorado

I have tried wild game a couple of times. I had a chest freezer full of it (elk, deer, antelope, wild games sausages and jerky) and I've given it all away now. It's just not okay! I was very sad but the pain is definitely not worth it!

--------------------
IBS-D, Diabetes Type 2, Corn Allergy, Gluten Intolerance, Dairy "Issues"

#359332 - 06/17/10 09:31 AM
Marleigh

Reged: 01/04/08

Deer meat is definitely a trigger for me, and my SIL who has IBS can't tolerate it either. It just makes me feel queasy and causes D. I've heard there is a protein in it that is very difficult for some people to digest.

#359338 - 06/17/10 02:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Any red meat is hard to digest for anyone. Red meat is know to back anyone up. I gave my hub steak a couple weeks ago and he got so messed up and he doesn't even have IBS. The proteins and tissue of red meat make it cause GI reactions.

If you are going to cheat and eat red meat once in a while, certainly it should be low in fat at least, but better not to cheat.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2607 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6783

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review