All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: I'm trying to do everything right, so why is nothing helping? new
      #359383 - 06/21/10 06:56 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I can't remember what is in Thomas' muffins, but it wouldn't hurt to try some other carb product for a week. I especially would be concerned with the 100 cal version. What about trying some toasted sourdough instead for a week?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#359387 - 06/21/10 07:35 PM
ELF

Reged: 06/05/10
Loc: Kansas City, MO

Here's the ingredients for Thomas' original:
unbleached enriched wheat flour [flour, malted barley flour, reduced iron, niacin, thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vit. B2), folic acid], water, farina, yeast, sugar, salt, soybean oil, preservatives (calcium propionate, sorbic acid), grain vinegar, monoglycerides, nonfat milk, soy flour, whey.

After looking at the ingredients I can see why they might be a problem, but I chose them because I thought I saw the brand on one of Heather's lists. If these aren't okay, does anyone know of a brand that is?

--------------------
IBS-D since 12/2009

Re: Problem areas new
      #359422 - 06/23/10 04:34 PM
ELF

Thanks for the help. I checked the ingredients in some of the food I've been eating:

1. English muffins: unbleached enriched wheat flour [flour, malted barley flour, reduced iron, niacin, thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vit. B2), folic acid], water, farina, yeast, sugar, salt, soybean oil, preservatives (calcium propionate, sorbic acid), grain vinegar, monoglycerides, nonfat milk, soy flour, whey.
I can see why these might be a problem and haven't had any for the past 2 days.

2. Sourdough bread: unbleached enriched flour, water, sea salt, vitamin C. I buy it from the health food store and this is the only 'decent' bread I can seem to find that isn't whole grain.

3. My rice is organic jasmine and I don't add anything to it.

4. Apple butter has apples, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.

5. The Smart Balance Light is on Heather's list of acceptable foods since it is dairy free.

6. The grilled turkey I had was simply a white turkey breast fillet put on the (BBQ)grill without any oil, sauce, etc.

7. As for the pasta salad, I thought that a little fat was okay in the dressing, especially since I had 3 bites of it. I haven't seemed to have issues with pasta in the past.

8. I know on the snack list of Heather's that Kraft marshmallows are on it and as for the pineapple & nuts, I know they're considered insoluble, but this was eaten at the end of my meal (after SF).

9. The beer was a bad idea, I know. It has seemed in the past that if I've had alcohol before a meal it has actually helped (I know that shouldn't be the case, but it has been before), but I'm steering clear of that now.

I have some gluten-free English muffins, but now I'm scared to try those. Is there a comprehensive list of ingredients to avoid??? I know about whole grains, artificial sweeteners, dairy, etc. but I'm confused by the different flours/wheat in things.

Also, I thought I was supposed to be trying to incorporate IF right now, but any time I do it ends in disaster. Should I be waiting to do that until I've completely stabilized?

--------------------
IBS-D since 12/2009

#359424 - 06/23/10 04:57 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Crystal farms in the dairy dept are safe.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#359559 - 06/30/10 04:42 PM
ELF

Is Crystal Farms a brand for english muffins? I've been to all the grocery stores in my area and none of them carry them.

--------------------
IBS-D since 12/2009

#359561 - 06/30/10 07:24 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Yes, it's a brand. I think they're regional though. I've bought them here in N. Illinois. I recall seeing them in Wisconsin, too, but not in Michigan.

If they don't have the brand in your area, read a few labels the next time you're at the store. Hopefully, you can find an equivalent.

#359577 - 07/01/10 04:36 PM
ELF

Thanks. That's the brand that makes the egg whites I buy, but no one seems to carry the muffins. My problem is that I'm not entirely clear on what ingredients to avoid, aside from whole grains and dairy.

--------------------
IBS-D since 12/2009

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 910 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7148

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review