All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Nonfat milk
      #359122 - 06/08/10 05:20 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I was wondering how many people still have some nonfat milk in their diets (small amounts) and if it is possible that it would be helpful for some. I find that I crave a little bit of milk. I feel like it helps to calm me down and I feel like it has the same effect on my intestines. It may make me a little gassy but I feel like a little nonfat milk in my diet helps move my bowels a little better and keeps my mood up. Heather, do you think it is necessary for everyone to remove nonfat milk from their diets, and do you believe it can actually be helpful for some?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nonfat milk new
      #359124 - 06/08/10 06:29 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

A full answer to your question can be found under Dairy Products on this web page. You might check the reference below.

Reference
Anthoni, S., Savilahti, E., Rautelin, H., & Kolho, K. L. (2009). Milk protein IgG and IgA: The association with milk-induced gastrointestinal symptoms in adults . World Journal of Gastroenterology, 15(39)

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359131 - 06/08/10 07:39 AM
Allisonmary

Thanks, I know that Heather says all dairy is not good for IBS but I was just wondering if she believes it may be beneficial in SMALL doses for some. Even the probiotic align has small amounts of the milk protein right? And I was wondering if there were other people who felt like I do. Looking back when I was first getting stomach problems, it was never the dairy that was the problem for me. It began with an intolerance to cereals and anything that was too insoluble and difficult to digest. For years even after I found out about IBS I would drink hot chocolate with nonfat milk in the powder with no problems. I ask because I would love to try to eat yogurt again. I am thinking of testing it out. Anyone have suggestions of a "safer" yogurt I can test this out with?

I believe the milk found in align is in minute amount .. new
      #359132 - 06/08/10 09:03 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

.. and is only there as the probiotics (basically bacteria) are growth in a medium containing milk. The milk isn't an active ingredient in the treatment.

I don't think heather would say small amounts of milk are bebefical for IBS. She's always been pretty adament that it not part of EFI.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#359136 - 06/08/10 03:56 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There is no way a little is beneficial. Can you get away with a little dairy and stay stable? yes if you are lucky but it is playing with fire. Dairy causes reactions in the gut that destabilize everything.
When I am very stable I might cook with a little parmesan since it is low fat and very low in lactose, but I do it at my own risk in very limited, infrequent amounts.
If you are looking for something to relax you, you have to change the mindset not add milk. Try ginger tea.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#359143 - 06/08/10 07:54 PM
Allisonmary

Well what about a little yogurt being helpful. My dad was told he has IBS and he eats yogurt every day no prob, and says its helping. And alot of other people with digestive problems are told to have yogurt, what makes them different?? I know you can have probiotics alone but I am really struggling to find things to eat! I cant eat alot of things recommended on the boards. I'm just wondering why soy is recommended instead of dairy. Soy is known to cause all sorts of hormonal imbalances, infertility, and digestive problems so isn't that something that we really should be avoiding even more so then the dairy.

#359144 - 06/08/10 08:06 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

A fundamental tenant of the EFI guidelines is no dairy. Having said that in fairness of full disclosure it should be mentioned that the IBS research shows that for some people dairy can be a problem while for others it isn't. In some instances yogurt with particular probiotics has been shown to have beneficial effects for IBS. Like so many things concerning IBS you may have to figure out what works for you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359153 - 06/09/10 05:45 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

You would have to test it yourself. Noone on this board is going to tell you that eating dairy will be benefitial to you because it's not a part of the EFI plan.
The way I look at triggers is that some of them can be eaten in small amounts while some have to be avoided, and this is different for every one of us. For example, fats and oils - we still need some amount in our diet but not really greasy and fried things. Or chocolate - it's on the trigger list but even Heather says eating a little bit is ok (after a safe meal). Chocolate is actually a big trigger for me and I have to stay away from it completely but others on here can eat it in small amounts with no problem. So is it the same with dairy? You're the only one who can find out.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

I agree with Zara-nt new
      #359154 - 06/09/10 05:51 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Re: I agree with Zara-nt new
      #359164 - 06/09/10 09:21 AM
wizard41681

Reged: 05/13/10
Loc: texas

I have to say the same and just see what happens. I am slowly adding things back to see if it is a trigger for me and have found most dairy like plain milk butter ice cream or even yogurt is but I can cook with it and cheese does not seem to have any effect in small amounts. I think the diet is great but we are all just a little different so it is really hard to say.

--------------------
IBS-D with gas

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3837 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19009

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review