All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Worsening IBS....definition of D
      #358579 - 05/12/10 02:00 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Been dealing with IBS for 3 years.....probably triggered by 20 yrs of panic disorder.....Since i developed painful anal fissures 6 wks ago....my IBS is off the charts....and usually im neither C or D....just painful gas....nausea and upset.....but now im vacillating between C and D.....one question is....i eat a mix of soluble and insoluble fiber(if i just eat white bread, etc....i get constipated...if just whole grains....go to bathroom too often)......today ive gone to bthroom 3 x and feel the urgency to go again.....and everytime i go...my fissure goes into spasm and pain which lasts for hours....So...my stool is not watery...its well formed, etc.....but going 3x per day even if well formed.....is that considered D? I feel stuck between a rock and a hardplate....panic///ibs////anal fissure....not sure what else to do...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Worsening IBS....definition of D new
      #358625 - 05/14/10 10:48 AM
Mhillqt

i guess no one on this board has experienced this?

#358629 - 05/14/10 11:27 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is difficult to give advice without knowing exactly what you are eating. It would be helpful if you gave the meals and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#358632 - 05/14/10 01:36 PM
Mhillqt

thanks...ive posted in the past...thought you remembered me

This has been going on for a 5 weeks and getting worse.....mostly i stick to the diet below and am fine but lately not fine...ever since fissure.......

Bfast......oatmeal with almonds banana and walnuts
snck on pretzels
lunch.....white/brown rice with almonds, apple(1/2) and walnuts
dinner...pasta with chicken or fish.....this has been going on for a few weeks....

I have varied above diet over last few weeks...with artichokes/chicken with cheese/rice balls/etc etc......but even these might be trigger foods...seems the same....

i think its related to my anal fissure......and the cream im taking nifedipine......it lowers bp and applied to rectum is prob influencing bowel habits????? plus im in pain from the bowel movements ......its a crazy cycle.....

#358634 - 05/14/10 02:31 PM
Syl

Hi - I remember you - I just don't recall what you are eat

Is your primary objective is to promote healing of the fissures? If yes then you might consider reducing the amount of insoluble fiber in your diet for a while. For example, remove nuts, brown rice, unpeeled apples, etc and increase the amount of soluble fiber from peeled well cooked even pureed veggies and fruits. Does this make sense?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#358639 - 05/14/10 04:27 PM
Mhillqt

thanks....not sure if it makes sense...all my doctors are telling me to avoid constipation since it prob caused the fissure and hemmoroid to begin with.....if i dont eat any soluble fiber i become very constipated.....so not sure what to do......do you think the cream is causing it....the cream helped healing it but i had to reduce it since it made me light headed, etc.....so im screwed either way.....like panic and ibs wasnt enough.....fissure is like having knife blades in your anus...sorry...very painful.....

#358640 - 05/14/10 04:33 PM
Syl

Are you C (3 or fewer BMs per week) or D ( 3 or more BM per day)?

--------------------

#358641 - 05/14/10 04:42 PM
Mhillqt

im usually neither....but now im 3 bowel movements per day for a few days and then 0 bowel movement for 1 day and then back to 2 to 3 bowel movements.....you have to remember...each bowel movement causes the intense pain/splitting for hours after.....i tried colace every night which also helped soften but it was causing me even more ibs problems....

#358644 - 05/14/10 06:00 PM
Syl

It seems like you are more D than C. And it sound like your bowel is having lots of spasms.

Insoluble fiber, particularly from whole grains is a strong GI stimulant and since they indigestible they may irritate fissures as they pass. Perhaps you should worry about getting insoluble fiber from nuts, brown rice or whole grains for the moment. You can get all the soluble and insoluble fiber you need from well cooked peel veggies and fruits. Later when thing settle down you can go back to experimenting the nuts and brown rice in your diet.

Have you been tested for Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis?

--------------------

#358646 - 05/15/10 01:59 AM
Mhillqt

i will give it a try...will start out slowly reducing...perhaps the nuts are also irritating ........white rice is ok then?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1642 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8819

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review