All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
depressed and need some uplifting.
      #358265 - 04/30/10 09:00 PM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

It's so depressing having to deal with this. I haven't been here for a while, but it's probably because I am so irritated at having to continually deal with my stupid gut.

A few weeks ago I finally broke down and had a colonoscopy. I was scared to death about it, but it turns out that the procedure itself wasn't that bad...the prep, though, was another story! Let's just say that with my IBS-D, I did NOT need Dulcolax and magnesium citrate (but I took them anyway). The doctor said that my colon looked fine and healthy. I just got a call today and the samples he took also came back normal. So...that ruled out Crohn's and ulcers and colitis, which is a good thing.

But...the diarrhea and cramping and gas continue. I sometimes have bloating so bad I look several months pregnant. I've been following the "Eating For IBS" plan for over a year now and while it does help somewhat, I'm still taking Imodium, though not as much as before. I'm still afraid of a diarrhea attack while I'm out in public (has happened twice in the past year). I'm taking Cipro and Dicyclomine as needed when I have voluminous fluffy stool or diarrhea, but they don't seem to be doing much good. I do seem to have super-fast transit time and this appears to be some of the problem.

I guess at this point I need to have food allergy tests done to see just what I can eat and what I can't eat. I'm guessing this would involve an ELISA lab test thing. They also mentioned having a test that involves swallowing a little camera and having it take pictures of my whole insides. I'm just afraid it won't find anything either and I'm just going to be stuck with some doctor telling me this is all in my head (no, it's all in the toilet, haha).

Sigh. I guess I'm just complaining, but I really need to let this out. It's just depressing that I'm trying to watch what I eat but I'm still dealing with this stuff. I may as well have a steak and baked potato with butter and sour cream...at least then I'd be eating something I ENJOY and feeling sick, instead of sticking with boring chicken or rice and STILL being sick.

Sorry. I'm not seeking answers or advice, I'm just ranting to people that hopefully understand.

[eta: Been reading a bit on the boards. Just wanted to say that I don't "blame" Heather for the fact that I feel bad. It isn't her fault. I'm just having a hard time dealing with this right now and just needed to vent.]

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: depressed and need some uplifting. new
      #358271 - 05/01/10 07:13 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I feel your pain...you aren't alone.I have IBSD too.
Maybe upping your bread intake could help.Munch on pretzels too all day

Do you think your IBS is triggered by stress?

Hope you have a better day today.I was feeling it yesterday too and could have just bawled but today looks brighter ..even with the rain.
Sending hugs your way.
C.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: depressed and need some uplifting. new
      #358282 - 05/01/10 05:21 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I don't know what to tell you guys.
I'm 26 and have had IBS 9 years.
I'm isolated, and depressed, and feel IBS has ruined my life.

It's ruined my hobby, bodybuilding, because how can you do good in the gym when you have so many dietary restrictions?
How can you look good with a bloated stomach?

It's ruined my ability to chill out, relax, and have fun.
No longer can I just spur of the moment, go out.
I have to pack all kinds of "special" stuff.

I can't just hang out, relax, and have a cold beer with my friends, nope.
They say with IBS you need to relax, but how are you suppsoed to chill and relax when you have to worry about taking all your meds, if you're eating the right foods, and having to avoid drinking?

The day I got IBS, in many ways, I feel, is the day my freedom and free spirit ended.
Heather says "with IBS you do not have to live isolated as a hermit" yet that is EXACTLY my experience.
I'd like to know why SHE was able to live a normal life and I can't.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Ya know what? new
      #358284 - 05/01/10 05:38 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I have listened to you for awhile now, and have tried to be as supportive as possible. I understand how distressing IBS can be, as do all here. I understand your bodybuilding goals as I used to lift and compete.

But...enough is enough. Your posts are bordering on rude and obnoxious, you beat Heather up for no reason, and you whine, whine, and whine. Grow-up!

Get this! This IS the hand you were dealt, so learn to live with it. None of us here want IBS, but it is NOT the end of the world, neither it is a death sentence.

So, you can't hang out and have a cold beer with your buds. Well, get over it. So you can't go out on the spur of the moment. Well, get over it.

Your freedom and spirit ended, as you say, the day you decided it ended. IBS did not end it...you did. Your mind is your worst enemy, from what I can tell. Stop looking at the glass half-empty, and try looking at the glass half-full.

Another thing, I doubt Heather's life is as "normal" as you think. Do you think she drinks beer? I doubt it. Do you think she does things on the "spur of the moment", without planning? I doubt it. Do you think every darn day of her life is peachy? I doubt it. The difference between you and Heather is attitude, attitude, attitude.

Grow up and stop whining. Stop worrying so much about how you look and worry more about how you feel. You really need to get a grip, because I do believe you are driving most on this board, NUTS!

Re: Ya know what? new
      #358285 - 05/01/10 09:28 PM
Naturapanic

Well, I disagree. It's not my attitude, my bad attitude comes from IBS.
Because of IBS, I am a hermit. I can't go out because what can I do?
Can't go to the beach and have fun, if you have a pregenant girth belly to hide.
Heck, can't even walk with it sometimes.

Can't have a beer and enjoy happy hour, like everybody else.
I am mad at Heather because I believed her 5 years ago when she said "you can take charge of your IBS, control symptoms, and live a normal a life."

I tried EFI, I tried Zelnorm, Rifaxmin, Amitza, Benefiber, Acadia, Acidphillus, Align, VSL 3, psychotherapy...guess what...I still get laughed at and told I have a fat stomach.

I still have consitpation.
How am I supposed to be a normal 26 year old guy and have fun, when I can't drink and have a decent stool movement?

IBS is a horrible, horrible disease, and I am just furious that I still suffer.
I am tired of not being able to relax, let loose, and have a beer.
I am tired of all the agita and packing I have to do when I travel, I am tired of acting like a geritrak old fart.

I want to let loose, but I can't, because of IBS.
And even then, even when I sacrifice my fun, I still get NO relief.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358291 - 05/02/10 07:42 AM
Gerikat

Naturopanic, you are allowed your opinion and allowed to disagree. However, others on this board see what I see.

You play the blame game (Heather), the "poor me, why me" game, the "I can't do anything, my life sucks game", and on and on it goes.

I am trying to point out to you, that this is not helping, but only creating more pain for yourself.

I just turned 31 and share some of the same drama that you have. I work around it. When I plan to go to the beach, I pack some snacks for the trip. I wear a slimming one- piece, and no one notices the gut. I would love to wear a two-piece, but most of the time, I can't. However, there are times when I can, especially when my C is under control.

When I kick back with my girlfriends, I will have a glass of wine, but some good French bread first. My closest friends are aware of my situation, so they don't push or ask questions.

I thoroughly enjoy my life, and I refuse to let IBS run it.

When you whine and moan about your fate, it only makes it worse. No one can fix this for you. Not Heather, not doctors, etc. So, stop blaming and change your mind to view you situation differently.

I hate to point this out to you, but you had better get used to living with IBS, because it's here. Focus on the good and positive in your life, focus on what you can do, instead of what you can't do. If you don't, you are going to live a miserable existence for the rest of your life.

#358298 - 05/02/10 02:31 PM
Naturapanic

I'm a guy

1) What bathing suit can I wear?
2) What stuff, besides wine (white?) can you drink?
-Mixed spirits?
-Can you get loaded?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358299 - 05/02/10 02:37 PM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

Wear whatever swimsuit you want - you can't let what others might think of you (and probably won't even give a second thought to, if we're being honest) dictate your life. Wear a t-shirt if you are so self-conscious that a bare chest is out of the question. Don't allow vanity to rob you of your life! Why can't you just have water with lemon when you go out with friends? It's not the alcohol that makes it fun, it's being with your friends - people who care about YOU, not what you're drinking.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

#358300 - 05/02/10 02:44 PM
Gerikat

I was speaking from a woman's perspective. Why can't you wear a tee-shirt? I see guys at the beach do it all the time. I think you put way too much emphasis on your gut. People really don't give a s***, and probably don't give you anymore attention than they do anyone else. They are much too self-absorbed. I think you are waaaay too important in your own mind.

I consider myself still rather young, and when I look at a guy, there is more to it than the body. If all that counts to you is appearance, then I would hate to be the girl in your life. Come on, what are you going to do when that fades, because it does with age?

I don't like beer or hard liquor. I prefer wine. I only drink it on occasion.

My idea of fun is not getting loaded. If that is your idea of fun, then you need to change that. I realize you are young and like to hang with your friends and most likely get loaded, but you have a condition that prevents you from doing that. If you want to be in pain and misery...go right ahead, get loaded.

As far as I can see, you are making any excuse you can find, not to change your mindset and deal with your issues. Unless you change that, you are always going to look at what you can't do, and bring more misery to yourself, than already caused by the IBS.

#358302 - 05/02/10 03:52 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Have you thought of switching from alcohol to medical marijuana to help manage IBS?

Massa F, Monory K. (2006): Marijuana endocannabinoids and the gastrointestinal tract. J Endocrinol Invest. 29(3 Suppl):47-57

Russo, E. B. (2004). Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency (CECD): Can this Concept Explain Therapeutic Benefits of Cannabis in Migraine, Fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and other Treatment-Resistant Conditions? Neuroendocrinology Letters, 25(1/2), 31-39

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 461 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8168

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review