All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: don't you like fruit as a snack? new
      #358481 - 05/06/10 07:48 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I also think it is a waste of time to keep telling Naturpanic to stop with the bodybuilding and it is kind of bothering me to be honest. At a time when you are depressed and confused, are you going to stop doing what you love to do? How does this make anything better? You think it is making him feel good or that he will actually listen to you?
I run alot and when doctors/friends tell me to stop running so much and that would help, all it does is pisses me off and makes me feel worse. IT makes me feel like the one thing I can count on to make me feel better, is a waste of time- no one supports it- and is just makign me worse (which it is not). Its the only thing that keeps me going.
I have learned that I do need to change the way I was thinking about running- that I needed to do things a certain way (like a runner) and I needed to be this fast or go this far or eat this amount of food. Now I try to be easier with myself and I always just do what I can. If Im having a bad stomach day I go slower, if I can't eat as much protein as a runner eats, I don't and try to eat better the next day. Of course he can still bodybuild, maybe he can't eat exactly like he was told a bodybuilder should eat, but so what. He's willing to change the diet.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#358482 - 05/06/10 08:02 PM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

Quote:

You think it is making him feel good or that he will actually listen to you?

I think that if he comes to a message board specifically meant for discussing IBS and ASKS for opinions then I should expect that by offering suggestions, he might listen and consider what I have to say. It may not make him feel good, but it could help him, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

Quote:

Of course he can still bodybuild, maybe he can't eat exactly like he was told a bodybuilder should eat, but so what. He's willing to change the diet.

Again, I never said he shouldn't work out or even give up bodybuilding completely. I simply suggested that he change the way he does it to see if it could possibly help. Does he have to do it at such a competitive level? No, of course he doesn't HAVE to. He could tone it way down, eat a more "normal" diet and see what happens. He could also completely ignore this suggestion (as he has been thus far) and that's the beauty of a message board - it doesn't matter! It's his prerogative to accept or dismiss any advice offered.

I'm confused why it would bother you that someone would offer solicited advice that could possibly help someone else. I'm not offering it to you, so why the offense?

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

#358484 - 05/06/10 08:44 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

good luck i know you will get some great info and help from syl! he seems to be very patient and understanding.

i know how u feel i am just as confused at times about how/what to eat. seems like some people don't understand that alot of us have a harder time knowing what to eat and why. Good luck with your body building!! i hope u will be feeling better and be able to really enjoy working out!

question for bel920.... new
      #358485 - 05/06/10 08:57 PM
skh

can you tell me how u cook your zucinni (sp) and other veggies? i need some ideas for adding more IF to my diet and don't really know how to prepare veggies. I steam yellow squash but i believe that is SF. I look at all the produce and don't really know how to prepare it! I have ibs-d so IF scares me abit. Thanks!

Re: question for bel920.... new
      #358486 - 05/06/10 09:29 PM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

Well, I'm mostly C, so I really need the IF and am not as afraid of it, but lately I have been making EVERYTHING into sauces for pasta. I either roast or steam the veggies (some of my faves: carrots, roasted red peppers, asparagus, broccoli - not all together, though!) and then blend them with a little olive oil, chicken stock, spices or soy cheese (not all together, just use what I have) and then toss pasta in the sauce. Zucchini I usually make into Heather's zucchini bread recipe and I was going to try and make it into vegetable pancakes this week. Kim (eatandbe.com Kim) posted this recipe recently (I think it came from a segment on the Today show):

VEGETABLE PANCAKES

INGREDIENTS
• 1 carrot, washed and grated
• 2 medium potatoes, peeled and grated
• 1 small zucchini, washed and grated
• 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground pepper

DIRECTIONS
Place the grated carrot, potatoes, and zucchini in the center of a large, clean kitchen towel. Wrap tightly and squeeze as much liquid as possible from the vegetables. Unroll and place the grated vegetables in a large bowl. Add the garlic, thyme and 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix well.
In a large, nonstick sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable mixture to the pan, pressing down so the pancake is about 1/2 inch thick and cook until golden brown, about eight minutes.
Carefully flip the pancake over — you can invert onto a plate first and slide back into the pan if you are nervous about the pancake falling apart — and continue cooking until the other side is crisp and golden and the vegetables are cooked, another eight to 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Season to taste.

It sounds really yummy. I'll probably cut the oil quite a bit or use cooking spray, though.

Carrots are big in our house because both my kids love them cooked. I usually boil them. Spinach I like to chop up finely and add to sauces or wilt/saute with some garlic. Cauliflower I steam and puree in the blender into a mashed potato consistency.

Hope that helps! I find that I tolerate all of these veggies pretty well, but I know some people don't do well with all of it (i.e., broccoli). Hope that helped!

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

Re: question for bel920.... new
      #358487 - 05/06/10 09:40 PM
skh

thank you! i will try the pasta with veggies that sounds good...the pancake receipe sounds good too. i also seem to have fructose intolerance so i have a hard time with any fruits as well. i used to eat raw veggies and fruits and loved them...ibs ruined that!!... anyway..thanks again!!

#358500 - 05/07/10 04:22 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Sorry Bel, I know you are just trying to help. Maybe he doesn't even care about it but Im taking it personally I guess because I was attacked abotu my running a few years ago and was told I needed to stop (and it wasn't in a nice way at all). They made me feel like a freak. I didn't listen really but every time I ran I felt like I was doing something wrong and that there was somethign wrong with me! I stopped enjoying myself and my IBS was worse then ever. I became almost obsessive about how I wanted to run more and then I felt guilty about it, just like with the IBS. I became extremely depressed. ONe of the reasons they told me to stop becuase I was very thin and couldnt eat maybe as much as I could- but guess what, I ended up runnign less but losing more weight because I was so depressed and anxious all the time. I guess reading your posts made me remember all that. I just didn't want him to feel the way I had when it was done to me. Sorry!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 490 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55535

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review