All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Nutritionist new
      #358373 - 05/04/10 01:46 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Quote:

I agree with Belinda. If you really want to feel better and get control of your IBS you need to change your focus from body building to following the EFI diet.

If you have Heather's book I would suggest re-reading it to learn the concept of the EFI diet and why it works. Do this without thinking about body building and trying to get so much protein in your diet. If you don't have her book there is so much info on this site that you can use.

Many of us are telling you the same thing. Hopefully you will listen to the advice you are being given and concentrate on getting well before body building. You really have to look at your priorities and what is more important to you. If you are not ready to make a real change in your diet there is nothing any of us here can do for you.

But I thought I DID make a real change in my diet.
I cut out redmeat/dairy/fatty foods....I did make a big sacrifice...this is what I do not understand why IBS is not getting better.

I already have read the book...it would be MUCH easier if I could have some assistance in creating a template.

Seriously....how am I not following EFI?
WHY I am so bloated and backed up?

I gave redmeat/beer/fatty foods/dairy?

I need 1-1 help if I still don't get it...I have DAILY IBS breakouts.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Edited by Naturapanic (05/04/10 01:50 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#358374 - 05/04/10 01:54 PM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

Look, getting ourselves better is time-consuming enough - you are going to have to do some of this leg work on your own. People have given you suggestions right and left, but you don't seem to be willing to read the material and figure this stuff for yourself! I certainly don't have the authority or knowledge to tell you how many calories you should be eating. What I AM suggesting is laying off the intense exercise (not exercise altogether, we all need exercise) and eating a "normal" amount of food following the EFI guidelines and see if it helps.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

#358380 - 05/04/10 09:14 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

By posting his daily diet and asking these questions I think it can be very helpful to others. IBS is very confusing and I think he has legitimite questions. If you don't want to respond, then why do you.

#358381 - 05/04/10 09:48 PM
Bel920

Allisonmary, is your post directed at me? I never said I didn't want to respond to his questions. I have been responding, although my posts seem to fall on deaf ears, as do the posts of others. What he's asking any of us to do is pretty difficult and beyond the scope of message board help.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

#358383 - 05/05/10 01:51 AM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

I've never seen an RD professionally, but I've talked to people who are active in the medical profession in one way or another or who are currently going to school to enter the medical profession. They all tell me things like:

Eat whole grains
Eat fresh fruits and veggies, the less cooked the better
Eat the skins of fruits/veggies, that is where the nutrients are
Stay away from "white" foods (white bread, white rice, regular pasta, etc)
Take your vitamins every day

And on and on.

Well, this stuff can't help me, because it is NOT MY REALITY. MY reality is that whole grains tear my gut up. Most fresh fruits and veggies, slightly cooked, tear my gut up. If I'm gonna eat fruits and veggies, it's most likely I'm cooking the life out of them. Forget eating the skins...again with the gut-tearing-up thing. Got a few I can eat, but not many. White rice is a staple for me, I can't live without it. (White bread and regular pasta I'm currently staying away from, because I'm trying to see if I have a wheat/gluten allergy) And don't even bring me vitamins...I can't take them. Gut. Tearing up. I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.

You see, THIS is MY reality. MY reality. Not the RD's reality, or the doctor's reality, or the nurse's reality. MINE. If they want to eat whole wheat veggie sandwiches and wash them down with a handful of vitamins and orange juice, then great. I can't. When they hear that I don't eat whole grains or that I love white rice, I can see them almost have heart attacks. But you wouldn't tell somebody with celiac disorder to have a whole wheat sandwich, would you? After all, it's "good" for you!

YOUR reality is definitely going to be different than the RD's reality, no matter who you talk to. My suggestion is to stop getting so many "professional" opinions and just try to find something that works for you within the EFI plan.

A wise person once said, "If what you're doing isn't working, change what you're doing." And, "If you're gonna do what you've always done then you're gonna get what you've always got." Now, I realize you've made a BIG change in giving up red meat and the other stuff you've given up. I love a steak too, but I haven't had one in over a year. But...you're gonna have to change more. If you eat something for a few days and you still feel bad, change what you're eating. Listen to the people here, they are giving you good advice.

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

#358396 - 05/05/10 10:08 AM
Naturapanic

Bel....but I thought I WAS FOLLOWING the EFI guideline.
Do legwork?
I've DONE legwork.
Look at my diet...no dairy/redmeat/low fat/no HFCS...so why am I constipated and bloated?

Tuesday's Diet

Pre-Breakfast
-1.5 cups Store Generic Frosted Flakes

Breakfast
-Smoothe (.5 cup Frozen Strawberry in Syrup+.5 cup Cranberry Juice+.5 cup Egg Beater)
-Crumpet (FF and DF) w/1 TBSP Smart Balance Light Butter

Lunch
-4 oz Boars Head Turkey on Rye w/lettuce and mustard
-Clemintine

Pre-workout
-9 oz canned salmon
-1.5 serving low fat Saltines
-1 cup applesauce

Post-workout

Dinner
-7.5 oz Baked Cod
-1.5 servings Yams
-.5 cup Frozen Spinach

Evening Snack
-1 99% FF Turkey Burger
-1 cup applesauce
-1 cup Store Brand Frosted Flakes

Notes
1)Most of the day I felt like crap, very bloated and backed up, aside from after dinner

2) Today I feel awful, very backed up...again I THOUGHT I WAS FOLLOWING THE EFI DIET....I HAVE SF AND AVOID DAIRY REDMEAT AND ALL THAT STUFF.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!????
Why I am fat, bloated, and C?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358399 - 05/05/10 10:56 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Hi Naturapanic, do you have an email I can contact you at? If this really isn't working for you, maybe it can help to have a look at other options? I can send you a list of books that might be a helpful start.

--------------------
Kat

#358400 - 05/05/10 11:03 AM
Naturapanic

Heather's diet...avoiding dairy and redmeat...was SPOT on.
I no longer have D.

But I still have HORRIBLE bloating and C.
I'd like somebody to help me out in terms of pointing out if/how I am following EFI and what I can do.

I am so sick of being bloated and have worked so hard...it is INSUFFERABLE to the point I wish I had colon cancer instead....because I am trying so hard.

I really could use a mentor or two to help me better follow EFI.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358406 - 05/05/10 12:11 PM
Bel920

Heather's diet is not just about eating no red meat and dairy. My only advice to you has been and will be: give up the body builder diet/lifestyle for a little while and religiously follow the EFI diet. You have not (at least not according to your food journal entries) been following it as closely as you could have been. I also maintain that the sheer volume of food might be worth considering as a source of a lot of your problems.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

don't you like fruit as a snack? -nt new
      #358420 - 05/05/10 05:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 293 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55535

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review