All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: My Food Journal new
      #358314 - 05/02/10 07:37 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

OK...well if I already go to all the trouble of dieting but am not following EFI, then can you help me create a good EFI diet that I can follow?
-I can't handle SOY too well (the CLiff Bar actually is not bad)
-I HATE to cook, am not that good at
-I need AS much protein and AS much food as I can safely handle since I do workout

With this in my mind, here is what I was thinking...PLEASE let me know if I have the right idea and PLEASE put in your edits where needbe

Sample Diet Day 1

Breakfast
-Smoothe (.5 cup Frozen Strawberries in Sugar+.5 cup Cranberry Juice+.5 cup Egg Beaters)
-Instant Grits w/1 TBSP Smart Balance Light Butter
-15 grams EAA (Essential Amino Acids)
-2 Fish Oil Capsuls
-2 TSP Benefiber

snack
.5 cup Applesauce
1.5 servings Baked Pita Chips
.5 can Tuna

Lunch
4 oz Boars Head Chicken/Turkey
2 slices Rye Bread
1 Serving Baked Ruffle Chips

Snack
4 oz Boards Head Chicken/Turkey
2 slices Rye Bread
2 TSP Benefiber
10 grams EAA

Dinner
4 oz Chicken Breast
Potatoe/Sweet Potatoe
.5 cup Frozen Spinach

Snack
4 oz Chicken Breast
Dinner roll w/1 TBSP Smart Balance Light Butter
1 cup Cereal

Please keep in mind, this is a DRAFT.
PLEASE help me make edits so I can have a practical template of the EFI diet that fits my needs to have short prep/grab on the go meals.

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Edited by Naturapanic (05/02/10 09:03 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#358316 - 05/03/10 04:35 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Sample Diet Day 1

Breakfast
-Smoothe (.5 cup Frozen Strawberries in Sugar+.5 cup Cranberry Juice+.5 cup Egg Beaters)
**Why not use almond/soy/rice milk instead of cranberry juice, which is incredibly acidic? And why not add in a banana (or half) for some SF and some substance in this shake?**
**1 Tbsp Smart Balance has a LOT of fat - you probably don't need quite this much. Why not add some jam or pumpkin butter for flavor without the fat?**
-2 Fish Oil Capsuls
-2 TSP Benefiber

snack
.5 cup Applesauce
**You never answered what kind you are eating. Are you making these yourself? How much fat is in them?**
.5 can Tuna

Lunch
2 slices Rye Bread
**I think rye bread is higher in IF than some other kinds of bread. Why not switch to sourdough bread and add some lettuce and tomato to your sandwich? And why not sneak a fruit in here rather than chips? Eat something like mango or a peeled apple?**

Snack
2 slices Rye Bread
**Ditto**
2 TSP Benefiber
10 grams EAA

Dinner
4 oz Chicken Breast
Potatoe/Sweet Potatoe
.5 cup Frozen Spinach
**Maybe try and switch this to zucchini or green beans rather than spinach, which is difficult to digest?**

Snack
4 oz Chicken Breast
**1 Tbsp smart balance is a LOT. Why not put the chicken on the roll and add some veggies for IF and nutritional value?**
1 cup Cereal

I'm sure others will have some great suggestions too. It seems that you're consuming the bulk of your calories on meat and starches, neither of which will help your constipation. I get that you need protein and you definitely need a SF buffer. But you have so few fruits and veggies in a diet that has an average of 3000 calories a day - that's so unbalanced!! Again and again people have told you that you need to cut down on your portions of meat so you can increase your intake of both SF and IF. It seems that without doing this, you'll never help either your constipation or your bloating.

--------------------
IBS-C

#358317 - 05/03/10 04:37 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Hey, just wondering what your workouts consist of? What exactly do you do and for how long? Just lift weights, or do you also do cardio/stretches? Do you do alot of ab work?

#358323 - 05/03/10 10:10 AM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Sample Diet Day 1

Breakfast
**Why not use almond/soy/rice milk instead of cranberry juice, which is incredibly acidic? And why not add in a banana (or half) for some SF and some substance in this shake?**
**1 Tbsp Smart Balance has a LOT of fat - you probably don't need quite this much. Why not add some jam or pumpkin butter for flavor without the fat?**
-2 Fish Oil Capsuls
-2 TSP Benefiber

So
1) It is ok to have Fish Oil Caps AND EAA?
2) It is ok to have the Egg Whites in a smoothe (which means they are raw)
3) I do fine with Cranberry Juice, no problems whatsoever.
-Soy milk makes be gassy and bloated.
-Almond milk, I can have in VERY small amounts, hence I thought Juice was better...is it?
4) Banana...you know those make me bloated...any other options?

snack
.5 cup Applesauce
**You never answered what kind you are eating. Are you making these yourself? How much fat is in them?**
.5 can Tuna

1)I get the kind from TraderJoe's, they have 3 grams of fat and are NOT whole grain. Safe?

Lunch
2 slices Rye Bread
**I think rye bread is higher in IF than some other kinds of bread. Why not switch to sourdough bread and add some lettuce and tomato to your sandwich? And why not sneak a fruit in here rather than chips? Eat something like mango or a peeled apple?**

1) So wait, a peeled, raw apple, is safe?
2) I thought Rye was better.

Snack
2 slices Rye Bread
**Ditto**
2 TSP Benefiber
10 grams EAA

1) Again, a peeled, raw apple is safe?
2) What else in terms of good fruits?
3) EAA ok?

Dinner
4 oz Chicken Breast
Potatoe/Sweet Potatoe
.5 cup Frozen Spinach
**Maybe try and switch this to zucchini or green beans rather than spinach, which is difficult to digest?**

Snack
4 oz Chicken Breast
**1 Tbsp smart balance is a LOT. Why not put the chicken on the roll and add some veggies for IF and nutritional value?**
1 cup Cereal

I'm sure others will have some great suggestions too. It seems that you're consuming the bulk of your calories on meat and starches, neither of which will help your constipation. I get that you need protein and you definitely need a SF buffer. But you have so few fruits and veggies in a diet that has an average of 3000 calories a day - that's so unbalanced!! Again and again people have told you that you need to cut down on your portions of meat so you can increase your intake of both SF and IF. It seems that without doing this, you'll never help either your constipation or your bloating.

Can you help me incorporate more fruits/veges/and IF?
This has been VERY hard for me to do, because it is more an "art" not black and white.

I agree...I have a lot of protein, and I want this bloating and constipation to stop.
Let's continue to work on the draft, because if I already avoid so much good food, I may as well do the REAL EFI diet.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358329 - 05/03/10 02:41 PM
Naturapanic

1) Should I avoid prune juice?
-I found one at the store today by Sunsweet
-It says it is 100% Prune Juice, no preservatives, no added sugar, or anything artifical....safe?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358331 - 05/03/10 03:35 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The active ingredient in prune juice is the sugar alcohol called sorbitol. Sorbitol is sold as an osmotic laxative. Also, prune juice contains more fructose than glucose that is why it tastes so sweet. In this newsletter this is what Heather says about sorbitol

"Sorbitol (and other sweeteners ending in "ol") are sugar alcohols, chemically extracted from fruits and vegetables but very poorly absorbed by the gut. It's this malabsorption that results in the low calorie count of sugar alcohols, but also in the dramatic digestive upheavals they can cause. Sugar alcohols are so likely to cause gas, cramping, and bowel dsyfunction that foods containing these sweeteners are often labeled with a warning about their side effects, and cautions against eating a large amount. Personally, I would caution you against eating any amount of a sweetener that's virtually guaranteed to wreak havoc on your gut. "

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#358332 - 05/03/10 06:53 PM
Naturapanic

So even if Prune Juice does NOT say on the ingredients it has sorbitol, it does, and hence needs to avoided?
Funny....I was told by an MD and RD to have prune juice.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358339 - 05/04/10 03:14 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I was told by an MD to eat Fiber One cereal every morning for breakfast - the bottom line is that unfortunately doctors are not all up to date on the current IBS research.

I've tried the Fiber One cereal, by the way. Ended up in tears every time.

--------------------
IBS-C

#358340 - 05/04/10 04:04 AM
KimEatandBe

Reged: 03/03/10

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry you were mis-informed. I was just saying the other day how lucky I felt when I was first diagnosed that my doctor happened to know about Heather's book and recommended it to me. If she hadn't...I don't know where I'd be. We need to keep spreading the word about eating properly...especially to our doctors. You might get a kick out of my blog at www.eatandbe.com in which I write about my daily eating and how it affects my IBS. I find it helpful to hear what works/doesn't work for fellow IBSers (by the way I am IBS-C w/ bloating). -- Kim Eat and Be

Nutritionist new
      #358347 - 05/04/10 06:07 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Ya know, on May 5, 2005, almost five years ago to the day, Yoda told you how to figure out what to eat:

Quote:

Before posting a question for every single little food you want to know, ask yourself this first. Is it on the safe soluble fibre list? web page Then it's safe to eat. Is it on the trigger list? web page
Then it's not safe to eat. If it's on neither of those lists, you should treat it as insoluble fibre and should be eaten with care, and after soluble fibre.

That's all there is to it. You can ask all the questions you want but the rules for Heather's approach aren't going to change. Your meals without a speck of soluble fiber are still going to be meals without a speck of soluble fiber. Your meals without enough insoluble fiber are still going to be meals without enough insoluble fiber. And rye bread is not magically going to appear on the soluble fiber list which - after five years - you should have for crying out loud memorized - or at least printed out and taped to your refrigerator.

You've had all the information about Heather's approach for over five years. For a while one of the smartest people who ever posted here worked with you via email to help you. You don't do what you're told; you haven't gotten any relief from symptoms; your complaints about Heather's approach are exactly the same as they were five years ago; and you're back to flooding the Boards.

My only remaining suggestion is that you find a good nutritionist, take her Heather's books, and see if she'll work with you. But frankly I don't think you'll do what she tells you to do either so I believe it would be wiser for you to save your money and do what I suggested in a recent post: eat what you want, do what you want, and enjoy yourself.

One final word of philosophical advice: reality is, whether you like it or not. You can scream, yell, insult, complain, blame other people, and insist it's not fair, not fair, not fair. Reality doesn't change.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 232 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55535

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review