All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: My Food Journal new
      #358289 - 05/02/10 04:19 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I'm not a nutritionist, but I do know that men are supposed to get the upper recommended limit of fiber (closer to 35 grams than 25 grams) because their caloric intake is higher than women. And like I said, if you eat a lot of meat, you will need to eat fiber to offset that. Meat has no fiber in it whatsoever(SF or IF) and will just sit in your colon without fiber to push it out.

We still can't tell you if parts of your diet is IBS safe or not because you haven't answered some of our questions. What are the ingredients in your supplements in your shakes? Do you know for a fact that you are ok with soy protein in your Builder's Bars? Some are not able to eat it.

And like a number of people have told you now, you need to add more IF to your diet in the form of fruits and veggies.

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#358290 - 05/02/10 06:18 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Yea I agree too much protein and not enough fiber to move it through the intestines.. all that meat and on top of that a cliff protein bar..its giving me a stomachache just thinking about it! Another thing I find for me is that it is best not to eat late at night or in the middle of the night. It's hard to do I know.

#358293 - 05/02/10 09:19 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You meals are protein dense which reduces colon transit time increasing constipation.

Oats are a cereal grain and bran from cereal grains are known to exacerbate IBS symptoms. Oat bran is about 4-8% soluble fiber and 8-10% insoluble fiber. The IBS research shows that bran is not particularly effective for relieve IBS symptoms and may in fact worsen them. You might consider switching to fruits such as berries and semi-ripe banana.

In a previous posting I seem to recall you have problems with fruits with excess fructose. If this is correct then honeydew melon could be a problem because it is high in excess fructose.

Deli chicken may have additives/preservatives such as sodium nitrate which can exacerbate IBS symptoms. Have you checked the ingredients?

Cliff Builders Bar contain inulin a soluble fiber that is known to exacerbate IBS symptoms. (See Heather's warning )

What Pita Chips are you eating? Stacy's Pita Chips contain whole wheat flour and oat bran.

Ling Ling chicken potstickers contain cabbage and green onions. These sulfur-containing veggies can be problematic ingredients for many.

In a previous posting you asked about Pristiq (Prestiq). It side effects include constipation.

Has you doctor ruled functional constipation or done a transit time study?

By the way - bloating and distention occur with all IBS subtypes not just IBS-C.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#358294 - 05/02/10 09:40 AM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

I'm going to ask you a serious question and I hope it doesn't offend you. If giving up this body builder diet and STRICTLY adhering to the EFI diet would help you, would you consider giving up the body building and perhaps finding another pastime? Would you rather do something you love and feel awful all the time because of it, or find another hobby and feel better and be able to enjoy it?

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

#358296 - 05/02/10 02:26 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Quote:

I'm not a nutritionist, but I do know that men are supposed to get the upper recommended limit of fiber (closer to 35 grams than 25 grams) because their caloric intake is higher than women. And like I said, if you eat a lot of meat, you will need to eat fiber to offset that. Meat has no fiber in it whatsoever(SF or IF) and will just sit in your colon without fiber to push it out.

We still can't tell you if parts of your diet is IBS safe or not because you haven't answered some of our questions. What are the ingredients in your supplements in your shakes? Do you know for a fact that you are ok with soy protein in your Builder's Bars? Some are not able to eat it.

And like a number of people have told you now, you need to add more IF to your diet in the form of fruits and veggies.

1) Shakes.
-I use Jay Robb Yammit http://www.jayrobb.com/cat_yammit_1_5lb.asp#Description
-I also use Egg White Protein Powder, which is just Egg White Powder and Stevia
-I also have Glutamine and OCean Spray Cranbury Juice all natural

2) CLiff Bar
-I JUST started it this last week, I think I am ok, gives me gas but only within that hour...I need it

3) IF
-What exactly is IF?
I mean if I have strawberries is sugar, is that IF?
-If I have canned carrots or green beans or frozen spinach, is that IF?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358297 - 05/02/10 02:30 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Oats are a cereal grain and bran from cereal grains are known to exacerbate IBS symptoms. Oat bran is about 4-8% soluble fiber and 8-10% insoluble fiber. The IBS research shows that bran is not particularly effective for relieve IBS symptoms and may in fact worsen them. You might consider switching to fruits such as berries and semi-ripe banana.

Would Frozen Strawberries in sugar syrup be ok?

Quote:

Deli chicken may have additives/preservatives such as sodium nitrate which can exacerbate IBS symptoms. Have you checked the ingredients?

I use Boar's Head, which is supposed to be free of this.

Quote:

Cliff Builders Bar contain inulin a soluble fiber that is known to exacerbate IBS symptoms. (See Heather's warning )

So I can't have it?

Quote:

What Pita Chips are you eating? Stacy's Pita Chips contain whole wheat flour and oat bran.

No, NOT stacys!

Quote:

Has you doctor ruled functional constipation or done a transit time study?

Never even discussed, how would that help?

Thanks Syl...now what do you suggest.
1) I am following EFI?
2) Is my main problem not enough fiber, and not enough IF?
3) Is it possible for me to get the protein I need (220 grams) and follow EFI?
4) When we say IF, what counts?
-Canned Fruits and Veges? Frozen Fruits and Veges?
5) Protein Dense meal...how much fiber do I need to offset?
-Hence, can of tuna=how much fiber needed?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358304 - 05/02/10 04:15 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Monday 4/26/2010

Middle of the Night Snack(7 AM)
-1.5 cups Frosted Flakes (without HFCS)

Breakfast
-2 cups Natural Applesauce w/2 TSP Oat Bran

This almost certainly isn't enough food. You need to keep your colon full.

Lunch
-Sliced Deli Chicken (3 oz) sandwich on Rye Bread
-1.5 servings Pita Chips
-1 TBSP Hummus
Need more of an SF base. I don't see any really unless you're counting the pita chips.

Afternoon Snack 1
-2 servings Baked Ruffle Chips
-Can of Tuna
Need more of an SF base and there's no IF here at all.

Afternoon Snack 2
-Cliff Builders Bar
-3 oz Honeydew Mellon
No SF.

Dinner
-4.5 OZ Perdue Chicken Breast
-Uncle Ben's Instant Rice Packet
-1/2 cup Frozen Spinach
Check the ingredients on the rice packet. Many flavored rices have some form of MSG and are often high in fat. Spinach is among the toughest IFs to tolerate and 1/2 cup of cooked spinach is a *lot* of spinach.

Evening Snack
-1.5 oz Perdue Chicken Breast
-6 oz Honeydew Mellon
No SF. None, zip, zilch, nada.

Midnight Snack
-1/2 can Pink Salmon
-Soy Delicous Ice Cream Sandwich
The Soy Ice Cream probably has some SF but odds are you're consuming way too much fat between it and the salmon without enough SF to buffer it.

Supplements
-3 TSP Benefiber
-2 Acidophillus
3 teaspoons benefiber isn't even in the ballpark for what an IBS-C needs in terms of SFS.

You shouldn't be eating anything without a solid SF base: white rice, white bread, potatoes, sweet potatoes, anything on the SF list. You need to keep your gut full of SF. You need more SFS. You need more IF which you will be better able to tolerate if you get more SF and you need better IF: forget spinach, try a gentler IF veggie. Cook, chop, puree if necessary. Make vegetable soup and eat it with French bread. Make stew with lots of potatoes. Eat fish or chicken with plain white rice or plain pasta and a side of mixed veggies, some SF, some IF, well cooked.

The smoothies you mention in one of your other logs don't have any SF. Make with rice or almond milk, use bananas for SF, peeled peaches for SF with a little IF, and throw in some blueberries or cherries for IF.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#358305 - 05/02/10 04:24 PM
Naturapanic

1) I thought the Rye Bread was a good SF base for lunch
2) What exactly counts as IF?
-Berries/Canned Fruit and Veges/Frozen Fruit and Veges?
3) Don't baked potatoe chips count as SF?

So basically....my diet problem is
1) Not enough SF and not enough IF?
2) Is it possible for me to meet my protein requirements (220) and do EFI?
3) Is my diet contributing to IBS constipation and bloating?

Geez...this is really hard....can we take my diet and do a sample of it "fixed"?

Wondering if I should one of the RDs Heather has recommended on the front page.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358307 - 05/02/10 06:27 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Why don't you put your focus on following the EFI diet without exception and put the body building and high intake of protein on hold until you get get yourself stable?

You have been so upset at Heather and others who are stable on the boards, even to the point of accusing those of us who are stable of not really having IBS. After looking at your diet it is very clear that you are not following the EFI diet. How will you know if the diet will work if you don't committ yourself to eating safely so that you can become stable and feel better.

You should read all of the information that Heather has here regarding SF and IF and how to incorporate both into your diet. It seems you don't really know very much about how to eat safely for IBS which is surprising since you have been posting here for a long time.

Once you become stable you will be surprised at how much it will change your life and how much you will be able to do without feeling terrible. Once you are stable you can put IBS on the back burner and get on with life. You may even be able to get into bodybuilding again. I definitely agree with what others have said to you, why would you want to continue bodybuilding and obsessing over your bloated belly when it makes you miserable and you feel terrible?

Please consider changing your focus to your health and getting stable instead of how you look on the outside. I bet if you put as much effort into following the EFI diet that you put into body building you will be amazed at the results.

--------------------
Janey

#358313 - 05/02/10 07:12 PM
Naturapanic

I thought with this diet, I was following EFI.

There is no dairy, under 25% fat, no whole grains, avoidance of HFCS and alcohol, no red meat.

Seriosuly, I thought this WAS the EFI diet.

Would you help me create a better diet, I really thought I was on EFI.

I am very confused on if CANNED fruits/veges and frozen fruits/veges count as IF.

I wonder if I need to hire an RD...any of the ones Heather got listed.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Edited by Naturapanic (05/02/10 07:41 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 757 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55535

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review