All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
you have IBS, period!
      #357991 - 04/23/10 06:51 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have seen the attitude over and over in the last few years- "I am not better yet and so this diet must not work". You have IBS- there is no cure- deal with it! People sometimes have enough of doing something seemingly so hard as following a healthy diet and taking in fiber and still having IBS so they leave and think it will all be better once they stop following the diet. Guess what? They certainly ain't gonna get better doing nothing! What happens to them? I have asked my GI doc about this before, they eat differently and for a few weeks may feel better (or they may be worse right off- it depends) because sometimes the gut likes a temporary change, but after a little while and they still have horrible symptoms, they blame someone else for not curing them.
With IBS it is all about improving symptoms and living as close to stable as possible. I notice that especially young people cannot handle the idea that they don't always look their best or can't eat or drink what their peers can. It is IBS to blame for that, not Heather or your doctor or whoever. Sure it is unfair but yes indeed it could be much worse. IBS gives us a chance to work on our inner selves and appreciate life more than people who never have health problems.
If you can't handle the self-deprivation, go ahead and do whatever your heart desires but when you are in pain or on the toilet from it, don't blame EFI for not getting better. It's just like someone with type 1 diabetes who decides to eat carbs and drink alcohol however much they want to- they end up in the hospital or worse. At least we can't die from IBS. Sure it is unfair but that's life. You have IBS and that won't change. You have to change your thinking to improve your symptoms. If it is all "oh woe is me I can't drink or eat cheese because Heather says I can't" for your own sake change that to "I'll feel better if I don't drink alcohol or eat cheese and I like feeling better." If you constantly feel sorry for yourself for the little inconveniences of IBS (compared to real diseases), you won't improve and believe me it makes it much harder to have that bad attitude! It is much, much better to feel proud of having the self-control needed to help improve your symptoms. Learn that that actually feels good. Don't give in to envy for people who eat and do whatever they want. Remember you are healthier and that you have adversities and overcome them. It is very empowering!

For anyone who feels they would be better off not following the EFI plan remember this: you may still have horrible symptoms but they could be much worse off the diet! That is true in my case. I used to poop out what I just ate still in tact. I used to get horrible swings of C and D very often. My bloating is terrible and only improves in summer but if I slip on the diet or forget my fiber for a few days or something else stupid, I pay for it!!! That proves to me that the EFI diet is in my best interest. Also the testimonials from health professionals and others about the EFI plan makes me trust it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: you have IBS, period! new
      #357993 - 04/23/10 08:25 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

dont u ever worry about eating so much white rice and bread and carbs?...seems like we have to eat what everyone says is so bad for our bodies...makes me scared actually...it's hard to understand that the foods we should be eating like greens, raw fruits/vegs and grains that God put on this earth...we are not allowed to...it's just strange to me...

You need to re-read the EFI guidelines... new
      #357998 - 04/24/10 07:22 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You say:

Quote:

dont u ever worry about eating so much white rice and bread and carbs?...seems like we have to eat what everyone says is so bad for our bodies...makes me scared actually...it's hard to understand that the foods we should be eating like greens, raw fruits/vegs and grains that God put on this earth...we are not allowed to...it's just strange to me...

That's not what EFI says. Go back and read the signature in Little Minnie's post:

Quote:

Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Avoiding Insoluble Fiber (greens, fruits, vegetables, grains) for a few days to stabilize is fine but you should not avoid them forever. Add them in slowly; chop, puree, cook them to make them easier to handle; always eat them with Soluble Fiber. But eat them.

Here's a sticky post that gives you links to what you need to know to do Heather's EFI Diet the way it's meant to be done, complete with greens, fruits, veggies, and grain: web page

Also, I don't agree that "white rice and bread and carbs" are bad for our bodies and here's a sticky post that addresses that idea: web page

To me, Heather's EFI Diet looks a lot like the Mediterranean Diet, at least as presented in the "Mediterranean Diet Cookbook"I have: carbs as the base; as many fruits and vegetables as you can tolerate; and lean protein.

Even beyond that, though, how can it be unhealthy for me to eat what does my body the most good? If I omit Soluble Fiber foods and load up on what so many people insist are the only right foods for everyone, I'm going to be sick, miserable, and house-bound. That doesn't sound very healthy to me.

I have a medical condition that constrains what I can eat. People without that medical condition are not so constrained. People with other medical conditions have other constraints. I simply don't believe that one size fits all when it comes to what foods are good and bad for people's bodies.

If you're unconvinced then take another look at the list of Soluble Fiber foods and use the less white ones as your base foods: sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes; quinoa; see if you can tolerate brown rice (some can, some can't); and so on.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: You need to re-read the EFI guidelines... new
      #358010 - 04/24/10 06:34 PM
Little Minnie

Thanks Sand for doing the work of that reply!

I have a friend with colitis that is not under control. No matter how healthy she eats the nutrition ends up in the toilet. She is very underweight. If someone is going to D out any healthy food they eat by eating too many raw veggies and scratchy whole grains, they won't get any nutrition from it at all. Eating as many healthy foods, like fruits and veggies (the basis of my diet), in a safe way with SF, is the best for IBS and health.
Jillian Michaels was on the Today show this morning and talked about how healthy sweet potatoes are. Gillian Mackeith from You Are What You Eat agrees! I love sweet potatoes- nature's gift to us. I am hoping to get a crop from my garden this year.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:

#358014 - 04/25/10 08:54 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I was having thoughts similar to this over the past week. Thinking about how many years I've been dealing with this, the frustration from having "sneak attacks" even if I've done everything "right". But I certainly don't blame anyone else, I play the hand I'm dealt. Life isn't fair and it sucks, but you know what? When I do have that rare really good day, I appreciate it. Not to say I don't have days of wallowing in self pity. That's just human nature. The key is to take one day at a time. If I had known when this started that I was going to have decades of off and on misery, I would've gone crazy. And I try not to think of the decades to come. Just make the most of today. If it's a good day, savor it. If it's a bad day, just get through today and tomorrow will be better. And it usually is.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

vettech- Well said!!! new
      #358017 - 04/25/10 09:21 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I couldn't agree more. You play the hand you are dealt...period!

Re: You need to re-read the EFI guidelines... new
      #358022 - 04/25/10 07:50 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I totally agree with you guys. I think what frustrates me the most about IBS is not being able to eat whole grains. This always bites me in the butt. I try to eat at "healthy" places when out, and usually if I'm going to find something vegetarian, it's on whole grain bread or a whole grain tortilla. And those little hole-in-the-wall healthy cafe type places ALWAYS have nothing but whole grain breads. They think that's so much healthier than something like sourdough. Well, it's not for everyone!!!! Grrr!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#358030 - 04/26/10 08:27 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I have to agree with Sand. "They" say that whole grains are better for our bodies but for me personally whole grains send me right to the bathroom with D. Eating whole grains are not better for my health. I try to focus on healthy things that are good for my body and the heck with what the so called experts say.

I do have IBS which can be frustrating and upsetting at times. Even stable I still have days where I think about how I wish I didn't have to be so careful with the things I eat and the worries about being away from a bathroom. The majority of time though I choose to focus on the exciting things I can do in life instead of thinking about what I can't do. Stressing or being upset over the things you can't do is only going to make you miserable.

Even if I didn't have IBS I do have high cholesterol and I would still be eating low fat, no fried foods, etc.

If I go to a gathering that has food I can't eat it really doesn't bother me that I can eat. I enjoy socializing which is the most important part of getting together with people anyway. If people ask why I am not eating I just say I ate before I came or I am not hungry. I don't think I will starve if I skip eating high fat party foods.

IBS is not only a physical issue but as we all know a mental issue. As with anything in life a positive attitude makes all the difference in how you deal with things.

I also agree that the EFI diet doesn't work for everyone. If you find it isn't working then there is something else out there that will work. Explore other options instead of beating yourself up over why the EFI diet isn't working for you but is for other people. This only causes more stress which is determental to IBS.

--------------------
Janey

#358037 - 04/26/10 01:03 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

You know, I disagree.

I'd do anything to fix my IBS, including this absurd diet.
I've done it for five years because it was embarassing that I looked so fat/bloated and scrawny.

Guess what?
Exercising 5 hours week and eating this diet, I STILL HAVE A FAT BLOATED GUT.

I still have trapped gas/distension/and C.
I'd like to hear Heather's response as to why.
Heck, would like me to post a diet log of what I eat.

What I find most laughable is how I am supposed to get my fiber.
I get 15-20 grams a day, because the EFI diet makes it IMPOSSIBLE to get the recommend 30 g (or however many Heather states).

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358039 - 04/26/10 01:08 PM
Naturapanic

Do you think it's fair I do EFI and workout for 5 hours a week AND THIS IS HOW I STILL LOOK?

Let me ask, with IBS, will I EVER look better, or no matter how hard I workout, is this my destiny forever?

[image]http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=186361&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1272090628[/image]

Why can't the Image code work?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358041 - 04/26/10 01:27 PM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

Of course it's not fair - it sucks! But it's LIFE and everyone deals with something - IBS is your "something". I truly, truly feel your frustration - I really do. I'm sorry you are dealing with this to the degree you are.

That said, what on earth do you think Heather can say that will satisfy you? I almost feel like you are just looking for a fight than support at this point. Every post you mention that you want to hear what Heather has to say. Heather has responded to your other thread by "dittoing" the information another poster gave. What more are you looking for? It's not Heather's (or anyone's, for that matter) fault that any of us are sick....we deal with it the best we can and sometimes you just have to accept what hand has been dealt to you.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

#358044 - 04/26/10 02:58 PM
Naturapanic

1) Why am I not better

2) Why did your diet not work?

I want her to examine WHAT I do and tell me.
I think given I've done this for five years without improvement, I'd be a good test case to make an example of/from.

She publishes SO MANY success stories in her newsletter, why not discuss fixing stubburn IBSers who can't improve like me?

Why do I look pregnant?
I don't have dairy?
I want her explanation.

Do I have to look like a fat beer guzzler the rest of my life?
Should I just never wear short sleeves, go to the beach, and stop going to the gym because of IBS?

If IBS is not a terminal illness THAN WHY AM I NOT BETTER?
WHAT IS THE BIG HOLD UP?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358046 - 04/26/10 03:11 PM
Bel920

I just don't understand why you feel Heather OWES you anything. She's a person just like you and me - she didn't give you IBS, and she never promised to cure it. If you want to demand answers, find yourself a doctor who specializes in IBS and make him work for his money!

I have responded to you several times and you continually ignore what I and others are saying. IBS isn't considered "terminal" because in order to be called that, it would ultimately have to lead to death in the patient. Instead, it's long-term, permanent, forever....however you want to put it. There are ways which are HELPFUL (but not guaranteed) in getting stable and feeling better much (but not all) of the time.

And no, you don't have to wear long sleeves, avoid the beach and stop going to the gym because of the way you look - you can work on accepting that the way you look is part of who you are and embrace it. It seems that a lot of your frustration comes from the way you look, rather than the way you feel. Why do you care so much about what other people think of you?

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

#358047 - 04/26/10 03:17 PM
Naturapanic

1) I take pride in how I look
2) Bodybuilding is my hobby
3) IBS ruined it
4) Because of bloating/distension it is VERY uncomfortable for me to walk sometimes

5) Heather runs a business based on following her steps to get better...if she is an expert...I want her to examine me and tell me why I am not better

6) I have been to an IBS doctor, no help. I've written them off. I thought a fellow IBSer might help...now since EFI failed...it's hopeless.

7) Look at your signature. WHY IS THERE NOTHING I CAN DO TO FEEL BETTER?
I HAVE POURED LABOR INTO THIS AND I AM NOT BETTER.

HEATHER CLAIMS TO BE AN EXPERT....WHY CAN'T SHE ANSWER?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358048 - 04/26/10 03:27 PM
Bel920

Your expectations of someone else, on the internet, without ever seeing you, examining you, etc....curing (or bettering) your IBS are absurd. Heather found a way of life that works well for her and has shared it with the rest of us. If it doesn't work for you, it's not her responsibility to come up with a plan B tailored specifically for you.

I don't understand what you mean by "look at your [my] signature". Yes, I feel better, but not 100% - the EFI diet seems to be helping me a great deal - but it's only been 6 weeks or so.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

#358049 - 04/26/10 03:39 PM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

naturapanic,

What in the world is it that you think
Heather should be doing for you?

She is one person who found a way to deal.
She has graciously shared that method with us.
Does it work for all....of course not.
Why do you think that she owes you something?

You say body building is your hobby...might I suggest that you find another hobby?
We all have to deal with the hand that we are dealt.
You might be better to concentrate on how you feel rather than how you look.

It surely is not Heather's responsibility to answer to you or any one else!!!

Maybe you should be putting your doc on the hot seat rather than Heather??

--------------------
IBS-D

Edited by Thai (04/26/10 03:41 PM)

Naturapanic new
      #358050 - 04/26/10 04:01 PM
Gerikat

I am wondering if you look as bad as you think you look. It seems your distress is all coming from a "how you look" prospective, instead of "how you feel."

I also experience C most of the time, and I do find it hard to walk at times, because of the bloat. It just zaps the energy right out of me. I also find it very difficult to work my abs with the bloat. And of course, you aren't going to see the six-pack that you would like to see. Some yoga postures I can't do on a consistent basis, because of my stomach, but if you took a look at me, I believe you would not even notice it. Sometimes, it looks worse in our own eyes, than it does in the eyes of others.

But, I have to share with you, that I just deal with it on a day to day basis. Some good days, some bad days. I can't say that Heather's diet has worked for me, but I don't blame her for it. So, I still don't understand the need to beat her up about it. There are other websites that deal with IBS. Have you tried those? If Heather's diet is not working for you, why don't you just move on. I don't think there is much else she can say to you. She can't tell you why it isn't working.

As a former female bodybuilder, I know what you are trying to achieve, and I get why it is so important to you. It is a sport and a hobby and it is loads of fun. But, you are going to have to get a grip, that it might not be perfect for you, but doable.

Re: Naturapanic new
      #358055 - 04/26/10 05:10 PM
Naturapanic

1) I'd like Heather to explain why the EFI is not working
-(What other websites deal with IBS besides this that are reputable...not quick rich hoaxes?)

2) I'd like Heather/other here to look at my food journal and see if I am unaware of something bad I am doing
-Does it make sense for me to post a food journal?

3) Gek...question...since you were a bodybuilder. Is it possible with IBS-C/Bloating to get cut or add muscle, or will it always be masked by the IBS so long as you have symptoms?

-I'd post my picture, but I do not know how to use the image code...it did not work...do any of you know how?
-I've been working out 8 years, following Heather's diet 5 years, and I still look like a couch potatoe!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358057 - 04/26/10 05:30 PM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

-I've been working out 8 years, following Heather's diet 5 years, and I still look like a couch potatoe!!!!!

And apparently not listening to anything that anyone has to say.

Why are you so obsessed with this image thing?

--------------------
IBS-D

#358059 - 04/26/10 05:44 PM
Bel920

Quote:

And apparently not listening to anything that anyone has to say.

Why are you so obsessed with this image thing?

This is my issue with responding to Naturapanic's threads over and over - it's as though he doesn't read the words we type. I put a lot of thought into those responses, and he's not even acknowledging them, so I think I'm done. I think this is a losing battle!

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

#358060 - 04/26/10 05:46 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I, too, am sorry you are so disturbed over the diet not being as successful as you hoped. However, at the cost of being trite, I must say -

1) I'm a lot older than you and have dealt with IBS for over 40 years, before they knew it was IBS and called it "spastic colon".

2) I've been "D", "C" and guess I'm now "A"... been through it all... "D" 20 x a day, "C" for nearly a week... all the bloating, plus hems - you name it!

3) Heather found a plan that worked for her and shared it with the world. Yes, she made it into a business, but she "gives" away all her knowledge and information on this site. I don't 'think anyone is an expert on this illness - new information keeps popping out. Personally, one day, I think it will be categorized as an auto-immune disease.

4) My IBS has been complicated with other illnesses. There were days I could not even get out of bed, but to run to the bathroom...

5) Learn from this disease - learn gratitude for the good days - I'm sure my friends with ALS, MS, Cancer, Heart Disease, Bipolar illness, etc. would trade places with us any day. I've learned to be grateful I can get out of bed, take a shower, dress myself and even go to work. Somehow, being ill gives us a deeper appreciation for the small miracles in life.

6) Expect!! Expect that "one day" you will be better and perhaps, even well and whole - I do!!! I must!

7) I'm not "Susie Sunshine" and there is at least 1 or 2 days a week I want to quit my job and run for he hills because of this. But, I must believe it will be better.
And, that's my hope and prayer for you too! An attitude of gratitude for what you do have.

Blessings and Hope - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#358061 - 04/26/10 05:47 PM
Little Minnie

I am sorry but I am going to give the straight scoop: you are a dumb jock idiot. My post was for you! It isn't Heather's fault you are bloated. You have IBS! Besides you have been doing a crappy job of being on the diet for 5 years. Much of what you eat we tell you is not safe. And how many times have I pleaded with you to eat fruits and veggies which would help your C?!

1. how do you know you wouldn't be scrawny if you didn't have IBS? I think you would because I have some very large arms for a small woman. I farm and lift weights and have pretty bulging biceps. But my tiny French grandpa had huge biceps and thats where I get them. There is no evidence that your scrawny arms have anything to do with IBS, so stop blaming others! and grow up!
2. Go ahead and eat whatever you want. There is no one stopping you. When you find you are worse then you'll see things more clearly. No one wants to have to live the restricted life of someone trying to control their IBS (or the restricted life of someone with diabetes for that matter), but that is the hand we were dealt. Don't blame people for it.
3. This diet was not formulated on a whim but with both medical and practical wisdom. Avoiding foods that are harder on the gut gives the gut the best chance to be cooperative. IBS is a strange disorder with vagaries if you know that word. The gut is temperamental and we do our best to not give it reason to be.

--------------------

Just out of curiousity, Naturapanic... new
      #358063 - 04/26/10 05:53 PM
Sand

Did you take this same approach to the GI docs you've seen? Show up in their offices every day and demand to know why they didn't fix you? Point out that they're making money by treating patients and their treatments didn't work for you? Stand in their waiting rooms and shriek that you demand to know what the hold up is?

Based on my calculations, you've paid Heather $43.98 over the past five years: two books (assuming you bought them direct from her) and 1 pouch of Acacia. Throw in tax, tag, and dealer prep and I'd say you've paid Heather about $10-15 per year. Somehow I don't think there are too many GI docs who would put up with your behavior for $15 a year. Or for $43.98 in one lump sum either.

Heather's approach isn't working for you. You're restricting your diet and still have symptoms. My advice is to go ahead and eat whatever you want, drink whatever you want, and do whatever you want. According to you, your symptoms won't be any worse and at least you'll be happy going out carousing with your buddies.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#358068 - 04/26/10 06:58 PM
Gerikat

I have visited a website called ibs-life.com. It is run by a guy named Rick and two others. Two of the three have IBS. I like him and I like the site. You might take a look at that.

I cannot answer for Heather. That would be between you and her.

With IBS I was able to lift, add muscle, and compete. Adding muscle wasn't a problem. I was never as cut as I would have liked to have been, in the abdominal region, but I still did very well. And I had a double whammy, dealing with female hormones along with the IBS. At least, you don't have to deal with that.

Do you work out in a gym? Is there any other bodybuilder there you feel comfortable enough with, to confide in(please don't bite my head off for asking that)? I had a male bodybuilder helping me when I did lift and compete. He was great and he knew my dirty little secret. More people than you know deal with IBS, even though you feel so alone at times.

I would be willing to bet you don't look nearly as bad as you think you look. Don't you know, we are our harshest critics?

If you are able to figure out the pic thing, post you pic and I will give you my honest opinion. If not, I wish you the best.

Remember something, life is what you make of it. Being so bitter, angry, and harsh on yourself and others, isn't going to help the IBS. That will most likely increase your bloating and C.

Don't you also know, that everyone in life has something? Just because they look happy and smiling, does not mean they are not dealing with a day to day health issue.

I hope that you can get your head in the right place, both for your health and your bodybuilding.

#358071 - 04/26/10 07:35 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Besides you have been doing a crappy job of being on the diet for 5 years. Much of what you eat we tell you is not safe. And how many times have I pleaded with you to eat fruits and veggies which would help your C?!

1) HOW, HOW and when have I eaten stuff which is not safe? Want me to post a log of my daily diet? I'll do that, and then we can see if I am following the rules.

2) You tell me how I am supposed to get 30 g of fiber with EFI diet...how? HOW?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358074 - 04/26/10 07:44 PM
Little Minnie

By eating fruits and vegetables! It is so easy I get much more than that every day.

--------------------

Good post Geri -nt new
      #358075 - 04/26/10 07:46 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Re: Good post Geri -nt new
      #358076 - 04/26/10 07:55 PM
Naturapanic

Can you post examples of how you get fruits and veges?
If I post my food log, would you provide feedback?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358077 - 04/26/10 07:59 PM
Bel920

Smoothies are the easiest way I get fruit in my diet. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, banana, mango - all are great blended with soy milk and I even use a little orange juice to sweeten (I usually Simply Orange NO PULP). I know the OJ might upset some people's systems, but it doesn't seem to bother mine.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

#358078 - 04/26/10 08:04 PM
Bel920

Vegetable soups are good too because you can either let them simmer forever until the veggies are really soft or puree them. You can make butternut squash soup or carrot soup very easily. I love minestrone-like (I say "like" because some of the things in real minestrone don't go over well with IBS) soup. Sweet potatoes are delicious when cut like french fries, tossed with a tiny bit of olive oil and salt and pepper, and baked in the oven. Cauliflower can be cooked and pureed with a little non-dairy margarine and soy milk for a mashed potatoes substitute.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

#358079 - 04/26/10 08:30 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

Quote:

Smoothies are the easiest way I get fruit in my diet. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, banana, mango - all are great blended with soy milk and I even use a little orange juice to sweeten (I usually Simply Orange NO PULP). I know the OJ might upset some people's systems, but it doesn't seem to bother mine.

i don't understand how to eat fruit and veggies either..i've made banana/strawberry/ice smoothie and within 30 minutes i've had cramping and D....if i could eat what u eat i'd be so happy...but i can't even eat a small salad without cramping.

#358081 - 04/26/10 09:24 PM
Naturapanic

I noticed last week...the best I felt...was after having a baked potatoe.

OK...I know I am not getting enough fiber, but I have no idea how to get it.

1) If I make a food log of what I eat, would you mind offering feedback and suggestions?
-Maybe I am missing something

2) Is there a fiber total in grams us IBS-C and bloaters should strive for?

3) Ways to get IF:
-Smoothe (Can't do Soy Milk...does ice or water work? or cranbury juice?)
-Vege soup (Really?...I can't do tomatoe soup)
-Others......?

What is optimal amount we should get from an SFS like Benefiber?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358082 - 04/26/10 09:50 PM
Bel920

Can you have rice milk or almond milk? It just gives the smoothie a good texture and some protein to make it with milk. You can certainly substitute with another liquid, though. I put cranberry juice in mine sometimes too.

Vegetable soups do not have to be tomato based. I can handle tomato, so I make minestrone. You can make chicken stock (or any stock) based veggie soups that are delicious.

I might also add that I do not seem to have issues with fructose, thus my love for fruit smoothies. I can definitely see how they would be irritating to IBS people with fructose intolerances.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

#358083 - 04/27/10 05:47 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Potatoes ,pasta, and french bread are the best things I have found to keep my stomach from cramping.

I notice you eat alot of rice.Do you eat alot of soy product also?
I can't eat soy and sometimes rice makes me crampy and bloated.

You seem very concerned about the way you look and you should focus right now on how to make your stomach feel better.

Which is your biggest concern right now.Bloated stomach or cramps in your stomach?
To get more fiber make sure you cook your veggies really well,stay away from gassy stuff.I eat alot of carrots and peas corn on occasion.Beans cooked really well too.

Post what you do eat instead of asking over and over if you should.DO IT!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

First, lose the ice new
      #358093 - 04/27/10 08:10 AM
Sand

Super cold liquids can be hard on IBSers. Here's a whole thread on smoothies. Note that the simplest (the one Kree recommends) is nothing but banana and milk. If soy milk bothers you, try rice milk or almond milk. I like to add frozen peach slices to mine (thaw them to avoid the icy cold) - they add more SF and a little IF. If that goes well, throw in some berries. Or if you want to stick to SF, add mango slices or papaya.

As for salads, that is pretty much the toughest IF you can eat and for those with IBS-D, definitely not recommended. I eventually got to the point where I could eat salads but it took years on the EFI Diet. Stick with the veggies on the SF list first, then try adding in others very slowly, in breads, well cooked, pureed. Salads are for way, way down the road.

--------------------

Re: First, lose the ice...and also new
      #358096 - 04/27/10 08:33 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I found iceberg lettuce the hardest to digest.
try a spring mix instead...at the end of your meal too.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#358100 - 04/27/10 09:07 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I agree with lettuce being really hard to digest. Make your own salads with veggies you can tollerate. For me that's peppers, tomatoes, cucumber but always with bread or other SF source. You can also stir-fry or roast veggies and keep them in the fridge for snacks, sandwiches, pasta... Look at the site I posted in the thread that got locked for recipes and other ideas on how to eat vegetables.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#358109 - 04/27/10 12:51 PM
Naturapanic

Only VERY small amounts of Almond milk work, I just get gassy, bloated from them for some reason.

Would a smoothe consisting of cranbury juice be ok instead+frozen strawberries?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358120 - 04/27/10 05:37 PM
Naturapanic

I'll add two things

1) EFI diet DID help me stop having D. Back five years ago I did have this as well as C, however, it has not really helped with C.

2) I want to post my food log...where is the best place? This forum or another?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26885

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review