All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: you have IBS, period! new
      #358060 - 04/26/10 05:46 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I, too, am sorry you are so disturbed over the diet not being as successful as you hoped. However, at the cost of being trite, I must say -

1) I'm a lot older than you and have dealt with IBS for over 40 years, before they knew it was IBS and called it "spastic colon".

2) I've been "D", "C" and guess I'm now "A"... been through it all... "D" 20 x a day, "C" for nearly a week... all the bloating, plus hems - you name it!

3) Heather found a plan that worked for her and shared it with the world. Yes, she made it into a business, but she "gives" away all her knowledge and information on this site. I don't 'think anyone is an expert on this illness - new information keeps popping out. Personally, one day, I think it will be categorized as an auto-immune disease.

4) My IBS has been complicated with other illnesses. There were days I could not even get out of bed, but to run to the bathroom...

5) Learn from this disease - learn gratitude for the good days - I'm sure my friends with ALS, MS, Cancer, Heart Disease, Bipolar illness, etc. would trade places with us any day. I've learned to be grateful I can get out of bed, take a shower, dress myself and even go to work. Somehow, being ill gives us a deeper appreciation for the small miracles in life.

6) Expect!! Expect that "one day" you will be better and perhaps, even well and whole - I do!!! I must!

7) I'm not "Susie Sunshine" and there is at least 1 or 2 days a week I want to quit my job and run for he hills because of this. But, I must believe it will be better.
And, that's my hope and prayer for you too! An attitude of gratitude for what you do have.

Blessings and Hope - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#358061 - 04/26/10 05:47 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am sorry but I am going to give the straight scoop: you are a dumb jock idiot. My post was for you! It isn't Heather's fault you are bloated. You have IBS! Besides you have been doing a crappy job of being on the diet for 5 years. Much of what you eat we tell you is not safe. And how many times have I pleaded with you to eat fruits and veggies which would help your C?!

1. how do you know you wouldn't be scrawny if you didn't have IBS? I think you would because I have some very large arms for a small woman. I farm and lift weights and have pretty bulging biceps. But my tiny French grandpa had huge biceps and thats where I get them. There is no evidence that your scrawny arms have anything to do with IBS, so stop blaming others! and grow up!
2. Go ahead and eat whatever you want. There is no one stopping you. When you find you are worse then you'll see things more clearly. No one wants to have to live the restricted life of someone trying to control their IBS (or the restricted life of someone with diabetes for that matter), but that is the hand we were dealt. Don't blame people for it.
3. This diet was not formulated on a whim but with both medical and practical wisdom. Avoiding foods that are harder on the gut gives the gut the best chance to be cooperative. IBS is a strange disorder with vagaries if you know that word. The gut is temperamental and we do our best to not give it reason to be.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Just out of curiousity, Naturapanic... new
      #358063 - 04/26/10 05:53 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Did you take this same approach to the GI docs you've seen? Show up in their offices every day and demand to know why they didn't fix you? Point out that they're making money by treating patients and their treatments didn't work for you? Stand in their waiting rooms and shriek that you demand to know what the hold up is?

Based on my calculations, you've paid Heather $43.98 over the past five years: two books (assuming you bought them direct from her) and 1 pouch of Acacia. Throw in tax, tag, and dealer prep and I'd say you've paid Heather about $10-15 per year. Somehow I don't think there are too many GI docs who would put up with your behavior for $15 a year. Or for $43.98 in one lump sum either.

Heather's approach isn't working for you. You're restricting your diet and still have symptoms. My advice is to go ahead and eat whatever you want, drink whatever you want, and do whatever you want. According to you, your symptoms won't be any worse and at least you'll be happy going out carousing with your buddies.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Naturapanic new
      #358068 - 04/26/10 06:58 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I have visited a website called ibs-life.com. It is run by a guy named Rick and two others. Two of the three have IBS. I like him and I like the site. You might take a look at that.

I cannot answer for Heather. That would be between you and her.

With IBS I was able to lift, add muscle, and compete. Adding muscle wasn't a problem. I was never as cut as I would have liked to have been, in the abdominal region, but I still did very well. And I had a double whammy, dealing with female hormones along with the IBS. At least, you don't have to deal with that.

Do you work out in a gym? Is there any other bodybuilder there you feel comfortable enough with, to confide in(please don't bite my head off for asking that)? I had a male bodybuilder helping me when I did lift and compete. He was great and he knew my dirty little secret. More people than you know deal with IBS, even though you feel so alone at times.

I would be willing to bet you don't look nearly as bad as you think you look. Don't you know, we are our harshest critics?

If you are able to figure out the pic thing, post you pic and I will give you my honest opinion. If not, I wish you the best.

Remember something, life is what you make of it. Being so bitter, angry, and harsh on yourself and others, isn't going to help the IBS. That will most likely increase your bloating and C.

Don't you also know, that everyone in life has something? Just because they look happy and smiling, does not mean they are not dealing with a day to day health issue.

I hope that you can get your head in the right place, both for your health and your bodybuilding.

#358071 - 04/26/10 07:35 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Quote:

Besides you have been doing a crappy job of being on the diet for 5 years. Much of what you eat we tell you is not safe. And how many times have I pleaded with you to eat fruits and veggies which would help your C?!

1) HOW, HOW and when have I eaten stuff which is not safe? Want me to post a log of my daily diet? I'll do that, and then we can see if I am following the rules.

2) You tell me how I am supposed to get 30 g of fiber with EFI diet...how? HOW?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358074 - 04/26/10 07:44 PM
Little Minnie

By eating fruits and vegetables! It is so easy I get much more than that every day.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Good post Geri -nt new
      #358075 - 04/26/10 07:46 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Re: Good post Geri -nt new
      #358076 - 04/26/10 07:55 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Can you post examples of how you get fruits and veges?
If I post my food log, would you provide feedback?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358077 - 04/26/10 07:59 PM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

Smoothies are the easiest way I get fruit in my diet. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, banana, mango - all are great blended with soy milk and I even use a little orange juice to sweeten (I usually Simply Orange NO PULP). I know the OJ might upset some people's systems, but it doesn't seem to bother mine.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

#358078 - 04/26/10 08:04 PM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

Vegetable soups are good too because you can either let them simmer forever until the veggies are really soft or puree them. You can make butternut squash soup or carrot soup very easily. I love minestrone-like (I say "like" because some of the things in real minestrone don't go over well with IBS) soup. Sweet potatoes are delicious when cut like french fries, tossed with a tiny bit of olive oil and salt and pepper, and baked in the oven. Cauliflower can be cooked and pureed with a little non-dairy margarine and soy milk for a mashed potatoes substitute.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1064 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 27210

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review