All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Uh Has Anybody Here Actually Recovered From IBS Or Is This Just a Myth? new
      #357944 - 04/21/10 03:50 PM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

You cannot expect, though, that one particular treatment plan will work for everyone. Not even the most sophisticated and well-tested medicines in the world work in EVERY patient. Heather has helped a lot of people, and for that I am grateful. Show me where she has ever said "my program is guaranteed to work for every IBS patient" and I will eat my words.

Look, I get it - I get the ruined social life, I get the feeling that nothing will work, but wallowing in your anger will not help any of that. Do you really hate yoga? Have you truly given it a chance? I recently started doing it for the first time ever and it really relaxes my whole body - it certainly can't HURT. Of COURSE I would rather be watching tv or off having fun, but if I can do something that I know might make me feel better, then I owe it to myself to give it a try - and so do you! I also get the "exercise does nothing for me" sentiments. I have a very small frame - am 5'4" and 122 lbs, yet I have the stomach of a much larger person. Coupled with "chicken legs and chicken arms", it ain't pretty. It NEVER goes away completely. You'll never catch me in a bikini - EVER - but this doesn't ruin my life. I wear a one piece! There are always other options. I have a loving husband who loves me for who I am and what my insecurities are, and you know what? The week he proposed to me was in the middle of one of the worst IBS episodes I have ever had in my life. I was literally housebound for well over 2 weeks. Lost a semester of college and about 10 lbs because of it but I came back and rebounded, and you can too. There I stood in the bathroom of our shared apartment - unhealthy, unshowered and feeling so down and out I couldn't contemplate ever getting back to even half "normal", but he saw through that and knew that this too would pass.

You too are worth having on the planet and I am sure you have plenty of people who love you despite your condition. Are you close with your family? Do they understand what you go through? What about friends? Significant other?

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#357947 - 04/21/10 08:25 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I feel your frustration, honestly I do. Who hasn't had to put their social life on hold because of IBS? I can't remember the last time I was able to go to a happy hour with friends. What's the point if I can't drink or eat the food? And the bloated tummy, yes, we've all been there. But I agree, lashing out at Heather is not helping you.

I HAVE stabilized. I'm not cured; there is no cure. But I've learned what I need to do to control my symptoms and lead a semi-normal life. You probably don't want to hear this but the hypno program is what did it for me. I completed the entire thing three times. THREE. Each time I saw a little more improvement. Do what you want with that information, but I swear that's what made the biggest difference. I would encourage you to give that an honest try before throwing in the towel.

I hope you'll stick with us and keep fighting, keep trying. We're always here to listen and help. Good luck to you

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#357948 - 04/21/10 09:50 PM
sheila dawson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: CANADA

i Just want to say, here that i thought i had found an answer to my ibs. I found a clinic in SEATTLE, where the doctor supposedly cured himself and countless others of ibs and related health problems.

i WENT there and was tested to allergies and other tests and went through a diet change for over a year.
I THOUGHT I WOULD BE CURED. I wasnt.
i suppose it was hype but i needed to believe it.
so it is manageable but no cure.

Zara new
      #357953 - 04/22/10 06:50 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Your post really reached out to me. I am very obsessed with following a gluten free, totally dairy free, very restrictive diet, but still suffer. I give everything up and read labels for every ingredient and avoid it if it contains HFCS or any type of dry milk or whey even if it's the last thing listed. I live this way and I am going insane!

How were you able to "let go"? You honestly don't feel any worse?

Congrats on your pregnancy. I hope you continue to feel this way even after the baby.

If you don't take any SFS, how do you get your soluble fiber before meals?

Quote:

I hated how every morning, I would start with a glass of metamucil/citrucel/benefiber, then wait for a bm that wouldn't happen, then force myself to eat a bowl of oatmeal with flax seed (I like oatmeal once in a while but not every morning, I often felt like something else but was afraid to eat anything else)

What do you eat now? Do you still take your flax? Are you able to go out with friends and order at a restaurant now?

Thanks for the link to Kim's website. I would love to email you sometime if that's okay. I really relate to your post! I would love to know what types of things you eat now. What kind of cereal and breads and your daily meals. If you can eat whole wheat and just how you are doing this! You are awesome! Thanks for posting.

Lisa Marie new
      #357954 - 04/22/10 06:54 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Quote:

I HAVE stabilized. I'm not cured; there is no cure. But I've learned what I need to do to control my symptoms and lead a semi-normal life.

Congratulations! How have you been able to do this? What besides the Hypno program has helped you? Do you eat white bread? Eat white rice? Take any supplements? A probiotic? I want what you have so badly.

#357960 - 04/22/10 02:09 PM
Sheeda

Reged: 05/04/08
Loc: Barbados

Hey Naturapanic

I'm sorry that you are feeling so frustrated. It's hard to restrict your diet so much and still have to live with symptoms. But don't forget that the IBS diet is a lot more than the type of foods you eat. For example sometimes I don't pay as much attention to the portion size as I should, and I give myself a tummy ache that way. Also there's anxiety; if I'm stressed about about something i can have an attack no matter what I ate.
As some of the others have said, everyone is different and maybe there is a combination of practices that will help you. Maybe yoga will help, you won't know until you try. Hang in there I hope you feel better.

--------------------
“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.”- Mary Anne Radmacher

#357969 - 04/23/10 06:03 AM
SeaHag

Reged: 02/24/09

I first found this site about six years ago. I followed the diet and suggestions faithfully, and though there was some improvement, I don't think I was ever stable. I read a lot of posts about finding the foods that work for me. I stopped following the diet and began only using it as a guideline. Since then (four years), I have mostly good days. I don't know if that's stable or not, but at least I have my life back most of the time.

I think it's important for everyone to experiment to see what foods they personally can and cannot eat. I am IBS-D. I cannot eat oatmeal or soy AT ALL. However, I can eat corn, celery and very low-fat real cheese. I cannot take probiotics. However, two tablespoons of plain, fat-free real yogurt daily has done wonders toward improving my condition.

Finding what works for you involves a lot of trial and error, and results in a lot of bad days. But, if you're not feeling well anyway, what do you have to lose?

Cyndy new
      #357970 - 04/23/10 06:33 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I just posted a really long reply, I don't know what it isn't on here. I didn't really post anything against the rules of this website so I have no idea why it got deleted.
I'm not going to risk trying to post again. If you want, you can email me at [deleted]. I'll be happy to talk.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#357971 - 04/23/10 07:13 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I think the reason why yoga and hypnotherapy works for alot of people is becuase it causes their thoughts to slow down and their bodies to relax. If you gave them a fair chance and honestly hate doing it, of course it won't work. It will just make you more annoyed and frustrated im sure. Why not try doing more of the things you do like? I think everyone needs some activity that they enjoy so much that when they do it they just think about the activity and nothing else. I think alot of us with IBS are obsessed with our IBS and more than diet or anything else we just need to shut off out heads from all the negativity. I know I do! And just like it takes trial and error to figure out the right diet, it takes trial and error to figure out things that stress you out and things that help you. LIke for me I love doing yoga. But for some reason I only like yoga in the evenings. If I go to a class in the morning just cause I think it would be good for me, I end up not having a good day and getting like annoyed. Some days I dont feel like going to a class, I feel like doing yoga in my room. You have to find out what works for you, I think alot of it comes down to if you are happy with yourself. Im studyign chinese medicine and there was this famous book written in like 2000 BC and throughout the whole book it mentions the fact that in order to cure a person, you first have to cure the mind and the spirit, and then the body. Here in the west we are being told that it can be fixed soley through diet and I don't believe that is true. I do think though, that in order to heal your mind from the bad thoughts, it is very important to eat well and to get enough nutrients. And eventually one thing will get better and then another and you will be a new person who has a whole new perspective on life. Thats what Im hoping for anywyas! Def not there yet tho.

#357973 - 04/23/10 08:27 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Look, I have tried Heather's super restrictive diet, I've monitored my diet and portion size.

You know, including Benefiber, I get maybe 20 g on average of fiber.
My only thoughts as to what I can try

1) Increasing fiber to ____ grams a day? How I do this, I do not know...since Heather's day makes getting fiber VERY hard.

2) Seeing one of the RDs/MDs Heather recommends

3) I can try Yoga/Hypno.

You know what though...I ask...how does this really help?
To me, how is spending MORE time and money to see a Heather recommened RD/MD going to help?

Maybe I am taking a one sided approach to focus on just diet and should go to yoga/hypno...then I think to myself why?
I already do psychotherapy and tried medications.
No relief.

Also...this whole mind-body thing reeks of BS.
First you tell us we have to eat like a rabbit, then if that doesn't work you say it's some vague mind-body connection...so vague it can't be disproven or articulated.

Sounds like pretty much "Hey we don't know what to do...just try this, try that, blah blah blah...we don't know if it will work or why it will," sounds like a waste of time and money.

Really...how are any of these 3 proposals above going to help at this stage?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 507 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11660

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review