All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Soy yogurt
      #357717 - 04/12/10 08:41 AM
heatherrenee

Reged: 04/23/07

Hi!

I have tried soy yogurt a couple of times and noticed that I get extremely gassy and bloated. I'm ok with soy foods, so I was wondering if it could be the probiotics in the yogurt? I was taking a probiotic but it seemed to be giving me more gas and bloating, so I stopped taking it last week and I seemed to have less gas. Also, is a probiotic neccessary for someone with IBS?

Thanks so much,
Heather

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy yogurt new
      #357718 - 04/12/10 08:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What is the name of the soy yogurt? Does it contain a prebiotic such as inulin?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#357720 - 04/12/10 09:06 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Quote:

is a probiotic neccessary for someone with IBS?

Great question!

#357722 - 04/12/10 09:35 AM
heatherrenee

Hi Syl,

It's the Silk and Whole Soy & Co. brands of soy yogurt. No, they do not have inulin in them. Inulin really bothers me, so I make sure that whatever I eat does not have it.

Thanks!

#357724 - 04/12/10 09:45 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Wow - they look quite healthy. If I could eat soy products I would be tempted to try them.

However, I there is one thing that raises a flag. I see that some of the flavored yogurts contain red cabbage for color. Cabbage is notorious for producing gas. Does the flavor you eat contain red cabbage?

It is possible that the probiotics might cause a bit of gas and bloating for a few days until you get use to them.

Oh - I forgot to say that it isn't necessary to take probiotics to manage IBS. They are another management tool. However, only some probiotics have been shown to be effective for managing IBS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Edited by Syl (04/12/10 09:54 AM)

#357730 - 04/12/10 10:51 AM
heatherrenee

Thanks so much for taking time to reply, Syl.

I think that some of the flavors I eat do have the red cabbage flovoring in them - I'm sure that has something to do with it too. Maybe I'll just take some GasStop with it and see how it goes.

As for the probiotics, I have been taking them for over a year now and noticed that the gas and bloating was not going away. Since they are not necessary, I think that I will quit them for a while. The only good thing about them though...I used to get sick a lot and now I hardly ever do (knock on wood!). I'm worried that if I stop taking them, then my immune system will get worse and I'll get sick more often again. What do you think?

#357749 - 04/12/10 06:22 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

What about the sweetener and fruit in it?

A probiotic is not necessary. There is no hard evidence that someone with IBS has less good bacteria than anyone else. However, bouts of D can deplete some good bacteria and most likely recurring C could cause a high bad bacteria situation.
Probiotics for me as an A seem to make me worse since I end up one way or the other. However I do like to eat foods that encourage good bacteria. I do eat plain soy yogurt in smoothies. I also feel better when avoiding sugar.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#357819 - 04/15/10 02:51 PM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

I had the same problem with those brands! I also have problems with soy milk but not with tofu or edamame, and I still don't really understand why.

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

#357852 - 04/17/10 07:22 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Well after last summer of getting poopy and D from smoothies with protein powder, this year I have been trying them the same except without protein powder. Guess what? It seems I am still having poopiness. So perhaps soy yogurt is bothering me too? I used to make smoothies without the yogurt but they are much yummier with. I'll try without yogurt but with protein and see what happens. I feel stupid.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#357994 - 04/23/10 08:39 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

smoothies with strawberries and bananas and ice give me D...what's up with that?

#358005 - 04/24/10 10:12 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The only IBS-safe soy yoghurt I've found is So Nice plain yoghurt. This is available only in Canada. I add babyfood fruit sauce to it -- usually Beech Nut apple/blueberry sauce or I add fresh banana slices.

This is totally IBS-safe and won't cause any bloating or discomfort.

#361961 - 11/09/10 05:11 AM
gas_tank

Reged: 08/25/10
Loc: Michigan

I have been trying the Stoney Farm O'Soy with no problems but I always have a banana or rice cake first. Is Soy Yogurt safe enough to eat alone or do you need soluble fiber with it too?

IBS-C

--------------------
IBS-C 20+yrs with gas, bloating, knife sharpening pains during an attack

#361963 - 11/09/10 07:00 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

i have no problems with stoneyfield farms o'soy, but i doubt in your case it is the probiotics. i mean, it could be, but...perhaps more likely, i believe it has inulin in it. this causes problems in some people with IBS.

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361965 - 11/09/10 10:03 AM
gas_tank

Reged: 08/25/10
Loc: Michigan

I am not sure if you read the post correctly. I don't have a problem with O'Soy but wanted to find out if it could be safe alone before I tried it and paid for it later. Did you say the Stoney Farms brand has inulin in it?

IBS-c

--------------------
IBS-C 20+yrs with gas, bloating, knife sharpening pains during an attack

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 665 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7503

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review