All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
what to replace fruit with?
      #357644 - 04/10/10 01:13 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I want to try to cut back on the amount of fruits I eat. Problem is, I've been eating them for so long, I have no idea what to replace it with. I have a turkey sandwhich and cooked zucchini....but what else can I replace the piece of fruit with? And I always put strawberries in my cereal in the morning. What could I do instead? I'm just blank!

Thanks in advance

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what to replace fruit with? new
      #357645 - 04/10/10 01:16 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

May I ask why you want to replace fruit? Is that some fruits don't agree with you?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#357646 - 04/10/10 01:48 PM
Cyndy

I've been experiencing lots of tummy pain lately. I thought maybe I can't handle fruit. This is the first thing that comes to my mind. I have strawberries (4-5 oz)every morning and a peeled nectarine or kiwi for lunch. The only other change I recently made was changing from align to phillips colon health. I hurt so badly today. Do I need to lay off the fruit? If so, what do people who can't handle fruit eat?

Another change I have made new
      #357650 - 04/10/10 01:58 PM
Cyndy

I recently stopped using Miralax and Natural Calm, but I thought this would most likely help to reduce pain.

#357651 - 04/10/10 02:21 PM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

I would try bananas on your cereal as they seem to be one of the few that I can eat without problems.
And maybe some applesauce for lunch with that turkey sandwich?

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Another change I have made new
      #357652 - 04/10/10 02:22 PM
Syl

Indeed you have made a number of changes in a short time. It is difficult to know which change made the difference. Stopping Align, Miralax, Natural Calm and starting a new probiotic - any of these alone or in combination might worst symptoms.

Perhaps you might go back the diet you know was most stable and slowly make changes later.

I notice from you other post about breakfast that the cereal you are eating contains whole grains. Whole grains are high in insoluble fiber. They are known to exacerbate IBS symptoms so you might choose a cereal with more soluble fiber and less insoluble fiber. Have you tried oatmeal? Also, insoluble fiber in fruit is different that the insoluble fiber in whole grains and does cause as much difficulty.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#357653 - 04/10/10 02:32 PM
Cyndy

I think bananas give me problems and applesauce contains fructose?

#357654 - 04/10/10 02:34 PM
Cyndy

Oatmeal contains gluten, which I don't eat. I am eating basically all the same foods as before, but didn't have this degree of pain.

#357655 - 04/10/10 02:58 PM
Syl

Do you have celiac disease?

--------------------

what to replace fruit with? new
      #357657 - 04/10/10 06:17 PM
Cyndy

what to eat instead of fruit. Let me explainI eat gluten free because I had positive blood tests for gluten, but my biopsy showed no celic. Does this mean I don't have to stay away from gluten?

so, new
      #357659 - 04/10/10 06:35 PM
Cyndy

should I go back to the Miralax, Natural Calm and align?

#357671 - 04/11/10 05:06 AM
Syl

The blood test sometimes shows a false positive results. Next they do a biopsy to visually inspect the small intestine. If this biopsy is negative then you don't have celiac and you should not have to avoid gluten. What did you GI doctor tell you?

--------------------

#357676 - 04/11/10 07:52 AM
Cyndy

Quote:

I notice from you other post about breakfast that the cereal you are eating contains whole grains. Whole grains are high in insoluble fiber. They are known to exacerbate IBS symptoms so you might choose a cereal with more soluble fiber and less insoluble fiber

But brown rice, corn, and quino are all SF, right?

#357678 - 04/11/10 08:07 AM
Syl

I believe is says "Whole grain brown rice, corn, white sorghum, buckwheat". Whole grain means that the rice bran is included. It is unclear from the wording whether it does or does not include whole grain corn, whole grain sorghum and whole grain buckwheat. Bran from rice or any cereal is IF.

--------------------

#357680 - 04/11/10 09:46 AM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

Hi Syl, actually even if Cyndy does not have Celiac Disease she could still be non-celiac gluten intolerant and should avoid gluten. "Healthier without Wheat" Dr. Stephen Wangen.
Cyndy-I've noticed that for me atleast, acidic fruits give me problems, especially oranges.

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

#357682 - 04/11/10 10:40 AM
Syl

The role of gluten sensitivity (as opposed to gluten intolerance from Celiac Disease) and IBS is questionable at best. Dr. Stephen Wangen from IBS Treatment Center that sells laboratory tests for diagnosing food intolerances for IBS has a vested interest in gluten sensitivity and testing for it. It is best to talk to a doctor to get an unbiased diagnosis and opinion on the role of gluten intolerance and IBS - IMHO.

Cyndy also indicated she has fructose intolerance. In this case it is best to reduce wheat consumption to about 2 thin slices of bread a day in order to reduce fructan (long chains of fructose molecules strung together) intake but it is not necessary to remove it from the diet. And it is not necessary to remove gluten containing foods.

--------------------

Applesauce new
      #357687 - 04/11/10 12:32 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

If you can't have store-bought applesauce, I would recommend making your own at home.
You can also add other fruits that way (peaches, berries, etc) to get other fruits in there as well.
Cooking the fruits down should help you digest them easier.

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Can you tolerate canned fruit? -nt- new
      #357688 - 04/11/10 12:33 PM
Stephie

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#357689 - 04/11/10 01:16 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, I have read about this, in the many books I have read on Celiac. I think gluten could be a problem for many and they are unaware of it, even with testing.

#357693 - 04/11/10 03:46 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I recently found trader joes freeze dried fruit especially the bananas and they are like the best thing for me.

#357695 - 04/11/10 06:30 PM
Cyndy

I need to come back to this tomorrow and address the gluten issue more, as I am very confused.

But I did need to ask, where do you find these freeze dried fruits? In the freezer section? Can you describe what they are? Thanks

Re: what to replace fruit with?--Syl? new
      #357696 - 04/11/10 06:33 PM
Cyndy

I don't know that I have a fructose problem or if I'm just scared of it because of what I have read here.

I tested positive for gluten antibodies three different times. Could they all be false positive? Can I eat gluten? Thanks

#357697 - 04/11/10 06:43 PM
Gerikat

Cyndy, this is the problem at times with these boards. You don't know that you have a problem with fructose, but now it is in your mind, and you are scared. Please don't be scared of something that you don't even know you have an issue with. I believe Heather would tell you the same thing.

No one here is a doctor, so they cannot tell you the answer. Please check with your doc, and don't rely on self-dx because you read someone else here has fructose issues.

#357698 - 04/11/10 07:03 PM
Allisonmary

No, they come in resealable bags like with the nuts and dried fruits. These are not liek dried fruit though, they are made of just the fruit nothing else added but just freeze dried with the water taken out. They may be a weird texture for some to get used to, but I love them. I find the bananas to be real good and really good for my stomach. (Make sure they are not banana chips, they are just freeze dried bananas) sliced in to little bite size pieces. Hope you like them:)

Agreed! -nt- new
      #357700 - 04/11/10 07:18 PM
Stephie

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

With regards to the gluten tests.... new
      #357703 - 04/11/10 08:49 PM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

You can have a gluten sensitivity and NOT have Celiac. If this is true for you, then you should notice a great improvement in how you feel by eliminating gluten from your diet. If you don't notice that it does any good, then you may be mildly sensitive to it and it might not be worth it for you. Have you stuck to a strict gluten-free diet for any length of time to test this hypothesis?

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

#357706 - 04/12/10 07:36 AM
Cyndy

GI docs all recommend opposing advice. Some say avoid all gluten, others say go ahead and eat it. My biopsy did come back normal...but three positve antibody tests leave me confused.

#357707 - 04/12/10 07:38 AM
Cyndy

Quote:

And it is not necessary to remove gluten containing foods.

You still think it is okay not avoid gluten, Syl? I really need some good advice on this.

Re: Applesauce new
      #357708 - 04/12/10 07:40 AM
Cyndy

Thanks, Stephie. I'll try the canned fruit since they do all the work of peeling and cooking for you!

#357709 - 04/12/10 07:41 AM
Cyndy

do you have a problem with gluten? I'm really so confused.

#357710 - 04/12/10 07:42 AM
Cyndy

I didn't think "dried fruit" was that safe for us, even over fresh fruit.

#357711 - 04/12/10 07:44 AM
Cyndy

Thank you Gerikat. I know you are right, but it's hard to erase things I have read and listen to my own body.

Re: With regards to the gluten tests.... new
      #357712 - 04/12/10 07:46 AM
Cyndy

Yes, I have been eating gluten free for about three years. I don't know if it has helped or hurt. I still have pain and cramps and bloating. The only thing it changed was it turned my D into C. But I'm scared to go back on gluten

#357716 - 04/12/10 08:22 AM
Syl

Cyndy were the blood tests and the biopsy done by the same clinic?

Here is a brief write-up from the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center that you may find interesting. Basically it says "A positive antibody test indicates only that a person needs a biopsy; it is not a diagnosis in and of itself." And "Biopsy of the small intestine is the only way to diagnose celiac disease."

--------------------

#357719 - 04/12/10 09:05 AM
Cyndy

Yes, they were done at the same hospial. One time at one hospital, another time at a different hospital.

Do the antibodies mean I have an intolerance to gluten, and therefore eat gluten free even though I don't have celiac? Thank you so much Syl. I know you are very intelligent and hopefully you can help me come to some conclusions on what to do or not do.

#357723 - 04/12/10 09:37 AM
Syl

If the blood test and biopsy were done at the same hospital and the blood test was positive and the biopsy was negative then it suggests you don't have celiac disease. The biopsy is the gold standard test for celiac disease.

The blood test could be positive for a variety of reason. As I recall there is a reasonably high occurrence of false positive blood test results sometimes caused by other disorders. So a positive blood test does not necessarily mean you have to avoid gluten and unfortunately there is no way to tell except by experimenting.

Something you might try doing is introduce a small amount of gluten containing food once each day for a few days and see how it goes. You might do this at the same meal each time so you can keep track of your progress. This might be the only way you can figure it out. If you decide to give it a try please tell us how it goes.

--------------------

#357725 - 04/12/10 10:09 AM
Bel920

As I understand it (since I just went through all this testing myself), testing negative for Celiac does not necessarily rule out being gluten sensitive. Celiac, in essence, is the damage that occurs from a gluten intolerance. Some people have shown to be intolerant of gluten (i.e., are symptomatic when they consume gluten), but do not sustain the damage that is Celiac disease.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

#357729 - 04/12/10 10:44 AM
Cyndy

so, you are giving the opposite advice of Syl? I'm so very confused. Do you eat gluten?

#357731 - 04/12/10 10:51 AM
Cyndy

thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I truly appreciate your input. I guess it's time to introduce a little gluten? When I went gluten free and was tested, they came back alright. So, it probably isn't do to any other disorder. I don't know syl. I feel so confused! But you are saying if it were you would eat gluten? Can I do a whole diet of gluten....give up the GF cereal, bread, and everything?

#357732 - 04/12/10 11:00 AM
Bel920

I think the best thing you can do is ask your doctor for clarification on your test results. If your blood work showed some degree of sensitivity, then I think it's safe to assume that you won't feel as well if you eat gluten than if you don't. Because you had a negative biopsy, though, you do not have Celiac disease - this means that whatever degree of intolerance to gluten you have has not damaged your system. It may just be that you feel sick on gluten, not that it's actually harming your insides.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

#357735 - 04/12/10 11:32 AM
Syl

Quote:

If your blood work showed some degree of sensitivity, then I think it's safe to assume that you won't feel as well if you eat gluten than if you don't.

Out of curiosity what medical evidence is there to support this conclusion? Thanks.

--------------------

#357740 - 04/12/10 11:55 AM
Bel920

None whatsoever (that I am aware of, anyway)....I speak only from experience, not medical training. Typically when one has an intolerance to something (as was apparently shown in her bloodwork), they tend to feel better when they avoid the item. Do you disagree?

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

#357741 - 04/12/10 12:04 PM
Syl

This might be true if the test is 100% accurate. This test like many tests can have a false positive results for a variety of reasons. I don't think there is an accurate blood test that will definitely show gluten sensitivity as opposed to celiac disease. As you suggested the best thing to do is consult with a knowledgable GI doctor.

--------------------

#357742 - 04/12/10 12:09 PM
Bel920

I realize that there can be false positives on blood tests. I was really only trying to make the point that just because you DON'T have Celiac, doesn't mean that you can't possibly still be gluten intolerant. I definitely think it would be best if she asked her doctor for clarification on this.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

Cyndy new
      #357744 - 04/12/10 12:30 PM
Gerikat

I happen to agree with Bel920, but is is not for any of us to say. Please follow your doctor's medical advice.

Re: Cyndy new
      #357760 - 04/13/10 07:50 AM
Cyndy

But I've been to 4 different GI docs and they all tell me contradictory things. I get no answers as to what I should do. I'm scared, frustrate, confused

#357785 - 04/13/10 06:40 PM
Gerikat

Welcome to the club of the confused, frustrated, and scared. I think most people here share in your frustration with doctors, even Heather. You are a very lucky soul, if you can find a kowledgeable doctor, who really listens to you. Most of the time, in my experince, they pretty much blow you off.

#357786 - 04/13/10 07:00 PM
Bel920

Quote:

Welcome to the club of the confused, frustrated, and scared. I think most people here share in your frustration with doctors, even Heather. You are a very lucky soul, if you can find a kowledgeable doctor, who really listens to you. Most of the time, in my experince, they pretty much blow you off.

I agree. I think IBS is one of those things where you really are your own best advocate because you get so many different opinions from the medical community. It's such a "mystery" disorder in so many ways.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

#357823 - 04/15/10 07:21 PM
Allisonmary

Its not dried fruit, it's freeze dried. It's really light.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24107

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review