Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Accupuncture for GERD
      #357543 - 04/07/10 08:34 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,

A family friend was suffering really badly from GERD and was on a few of the same medications I have taken for reflux over the past few years. She went to see an accupuncturist last year and hasn't had any symptoms since and is off all her medication.
I went to see the same Dr today and am hoping for similar results... or at least an improvement on my reflux symptoms.
I am currently taking Pariet because others I have been on have made my IBS-D severely worse, but it doesn't seem very effective at controlling my GERD symptoms.
I also told him about my IBS-D, anxiety and panic issues and the fact that I have a really irregular cycle. I would love to be able to get off all my medication, especially the anxietys meds because I want to be able to get pregnant in the next year or so and don't want to be on any meds.
Unlike a different accunpuncturist a saw a couple of years ago, this Dr. sat down and talked to me about Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and made some diet restriction suggestions and recommended some supplements.
I was pleased with the appointment for a few reasons:
1) He took his time, was personable and explained why he made the suggestions he did.
2) He didn't try to sell me anything. The naturopath I saw would try to get me to buy hundreds of dollars of "supplements" at each visit and it was insanely expensive. The supplements that this Dr. recommended were regular vitamins that I could get at the pharmacy or health food store.
3) He left the door to the accupuncture treatment room open for me when I mentioned I get nervous if I am left with the needles in because of my anxiety.

If anyone else has any experience with this, let me know how it went for you and what I might expect.
I will try to update, my next appointment is in 10 days and I plan to make the changes with the diet after the weekend (I just have too much going on this weekend and know I wouldn't stick to it )

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Accupuncture for GERD new
      #357544 - 04/07/10 08:42 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Hey Stephie,

It sounds like you had a great visit. It always feels good when you find a health care professional that will actually take the time to listen.

I do not have any experience with acupuncture but I have been thinking about giving it a try for my migraines. I will be interested to hear if it works for you.

--------------------
Janey

#357550 - 04/08/10 04:19 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Hey, Im studying acupuncture and I get acupuncture once every two weeks also. JUst know that results do not always come over night with acupuncture. First of all the acupuncturists may need time to see what works for you and also your body may need time to respond if you've had the issue for a while. Its one of those things that you look back at and are like wow, I have gotten so much better since I started. I have found such great improvements when I am getting acupuncture regularly which is one of the reasons I decided to go in to it. I also feel crazy things during a treatment. It can def have immediate effects, I love the way I feel after, but I think the most significant improvements esp with IBS issues which can be complex, come over time. I would love to focus mostly on helping those with digestive problems because it really is great. IN China, if you IBS, my teacher said they would get treated like every other day with acupuncture. Too bad it is so expensive here! Hope it helps you, let us know.

Allisonmary new
      #357594 - 04/08/10 05:11 PM
Stephie

Hey there,

Thanks for your response, that's good to know.
I am definitely not expecting a miracle cure or a quick fix, but I do feel more optimistic because I know someone who has seen the same doctor with good results.
I think that's great that you're getting into Accupuncture and will be able to help people dealing with the same issues you have dealt with. I had hoped to complete my Psychology degree and be able to work with people with anxiety issues like mine and chronic pain issues, but unfortunately I didn't get finished school before our bills got so big and now it's really hard to go back financially, etc.
Luckily, accupuncture is covered on my extended health so I have to pay for it up front but I do get most of it reimbursed. By the time I run out of benefits (I get a $ amount per year), I should have a better idea of whether or not it's working for me and if it is I won't feel too bad about paying out of my own pocket for it.

Thanks again!
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Thanks Janey, I'll keep you posted! -nt- new
      #357595 - 04/08/10 05:14 PM
Stephie

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#357669 - 04/11/10 02:37 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Please keep us posted. I'm not on here as often as I used to be - btw a busy work schedule, physical theapy 3x a week and some other health "issues" - I usually crash when I get home and become a "slug"
However, this is really interesting. I've read a lot about it for IBS and for anxiety (my main issue!!), so I'd love to know something that works.
Thanks for sharing! ~ Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#357681 - 04/11/10 10:00 AM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

I started seeing my acupuncturist in February and have had 6 sessions and I really think this has made a difference for me. Its not the answer to everything but this in conjuction with diet, Acacia, and exercise has been great. My acupuncturist has never pushed any herbs/vitamins on me but does recommend some if I ask. Luckily acupuncture in WA is covered by most insurance (up to 12 sessions a year)!

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 260 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3506

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review