All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
When to drink water??
      #357223 - 04/01/10 03:52 PM
RobD

Reged: 12/11/09

It has been impressed upon me that I need to drink lots of water-- as many as 16 cups a day-- to keep things moving through the digestive tract. I have also read that I should limit the amount of water I drink with meals, as water makes digestion more difficult. (One person on these boards said that he waits an hour after eating before drinking water.) Finally, I have been advised to eat five or six small meals instead of the traditional three, and to snack on soluble fiber throughout the day. SO: If I can't drink water with meals or for an hour thereafter, and if I am eating or snacking all day long, when am I going to be able to drink 16 cups of water? Suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: When to drink water?? new
      #357233 - 04/02/10 05:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You can drink water at any time - even with meals - in fact the CDC (last page) recommends water with every meal. There isn't a magic number of glasses of water to drink daily. However, 16 glasses of water is likely excessive. It depends on your size and how much you exercise. The correct amount of water to drink is enough to keep your urine clear. If it is dark yellow then you are not drink enough. Some experts say you should be able to read through a glass containing urine.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#357288 - 04/03/10 12:15 PM
RobD

Reged: 12/11/09

Many thanks for your comments, Syl. You are a frequent contributor to these boards and I value your advice. However, I am confused as what you say seems to be at variance with what I have read. The website (supplements/water.asp) says you should have at least 8 cups of water and aim for twice that amount in order to combine with all the SF you are eating. The website (Easy Tips & Tricks) also says to "limit" the amount of water you drink with meals. Sure you can have some but, apparently, not a lot. So if you are eating or snacking frequently during the day and you must limit the amount of water you drink at those times, you still have a lot of water that you are supposed to drink and few opportunities to do so. I am wondering how people resolve this conflict.

#357290 - 04/03/10 12:21 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I personally have found that I should not 'gulp' water while eating food, though afterwards can get my fluid intake. Give yourself a half hour or so, and then drink the water. Syl may not agree. I only know that this works for me and I have not had any problems with fluid intake this way and am well hydrated.

If you observe animals, they eat first and then drink their water. In-between eating they intake some more water.

My best to you...

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#357294 - 04/03/10 01:51 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The color of your urine is an excellent indicator of your level of hydration. So if you keep the color light by drinking an adequate amount of water be that 6 or 16 glasses you will know you are properly hydrated. ( Dr. Oz)

Oh - I believe you need 8 glasses (or cups) of water per days which includes the water in the foods you eat. And you need extra water if you take a soluble fiber supplement. Much of the food you eat contains 60-80% water and the soluble fiber in those foods usually does not need to be supplemented with water.

I drink a glass of water with each meal and experience no problems. It is something you will have to experiment with to see what suits you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#357295 - 04/03/10 01:59 PM

Unregistered

SYL i drink 12,14,or 16 cups water a day,is thta enough? most of it was filtered and warm/hot I put it through the coffee makaer to keep it hot and let it cool some and drink

#357372 - 04/05/10 12:03 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

I think Syl has given you some really helpful advice regarding using your urine concentration to determine how hydrated you are and if you are in fact drinking enough water.
There is no magic number for how much water a person needs because everyone's needs will varry... If you are active, a healthy weight, in a hot/dry climate, or taking certain medications can change how much water your individual body needs. This is why it's best to find out what works best for your body, and go with that.
The standard recommendation for finding out how much water you need is 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight if you aren't very active and 2/3 ounce per pound if you are athletic (getting regular cardiovascular exercise).
If you follow these guidelines, you should be in the right ballpark. Then... go by your pee. If you have clear (not concentrated) urine, you are where you want to be.

Because there is no exact science to how each individual digests food and water, there will not be one correct answer for when you should be drinking water. As you have already seen, opinions range from keeping water and meals completely seperate to always drinking with meals... This is where you have to do some "guess and test" work and see what works right for you. I can't see why you should have any problems drinking water with meals as long as you aren't gulping back huge amounts of ice water, but test it out and see... Do it one way for 2 weeks and then switch it up, track how your body reacts and go from there.
In general, our bodies like water that isn't ice cold and regularly throughout the day.
As far as eating goes, it is suggested by most professionals that eating smaller meals more frequently is the best way to fuel our bodies. Doing this should not cause problems with how much water you are taking in.

Hope this helps,
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1808 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2853

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review