All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can I take Magnesium Citrate while pregnant?Please can anyone tell me?
      #357150 - 03/30/10 07:13 AM
careylynn

Reged: 03/30/10

Hello all ! I have had IBS-C for over 10 years, and when I finally found magnesium citrate (natural calm brand) through this board I was nearly 'cured'. It works like magic and I have taken it for many years now. I have recently found out I am pregnant and am scared to take it as fear it will harm my baby.

I did a search on this board and saw that some people asked their OB/GYN and they said they could continue to take 'magnesium' during pregnancy. That brought me hope but I am wondering if that is the same as 'magnesium citrate'. I take it in powedered form, everyother day about 2 teaspons.

I have made my first ob/gyn appt but it's not for a few more weeks and I plan on asking then. but I am SO blocked up now from not taking it I can barely take the pain. Wondering if someone could please tell me if their dr. said it as fine to take the mag. citrate, natural calm, during pregnancy? I have googled and find mixed answers.

Thank you so much for your help!!

xoxo,
carey

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Totally safe... new
      #357170 - 03/30/10 08:09 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I wouldn't have survived pregnancy without it! Just wait till that third trimester hits, you'll be going through it super fast!!!

I've mentioned on this board many times that breastfeeding was a miracle cure for my IBS, so I highly recommend that after your baby is born. I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted, and had no need for the magnesium anymore. Now that my daughter is almost weaned, I'm back on the Natural Calm, unfortunately.

Congrats!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Totally safe... new
      #357177 - 03/31/10 09:06 AM
careylynn

Thanks so much for your reply Lisa! So your dr. said it was fine then I imagine? I can't wait to take it again, I'll take your advice, and also that of my dr.'s who I will see for the first time tomorrow. And SO great to hear that about breast feeding-I will look forward to that for sure!! eating what you want AND pooping--wooohoooo! I forget what that's like

#357196 - 03/31/10 08:41 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Hehehe.... totally true about the breastfeeding!!! I swear, there were some mornings that I'd be sitting in my glider, nursing my daughter, and I'd get this unbelievable "urge" to go to the bathroom. I'd sometimes have to stop her in the middle so I could run to the bathroom before having an accident!!! Dream come true for a C-er!!!

And yes, my doc said the Natural Calm was totally safe, so no worries about it at all. Also, after delivery, they will most likely try to give you all sorts of things to "get things moving" again. Trust me, that first BM after childbirth is... difficult. I remember the nurses trying to get me to take all these laxatives and Sennakot (NASTY stuff), but I ignored it all and went straight for my Natural Calm. Worked much better and way more IBS safe.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#357334 - 04/04/10 11:06 AM
careylynn

Running to the bathroom?! Oh what a dream! I can only hope! I saw my dr. this last week who also confirmed what you said that it is totally safe to take while pregnant. I have started to take it again but not quite as often because I've actually been able to go on my own a few times-maybe the expanding uterus pushing?? I won't question it, just thank the gods!

Thanks for answering my question, I really appreciate your help! Despite my dr. saying so, it's definitely more reassuring to hear it from someone who's been there!

All the best,
Carey

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1592 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7206

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review