All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Hyoscyamine (a.k.a. the miracle drug) questions
      #356043 - 02/22/10 02:45 PM
J.C.

Reged: 07/23/03
Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Hey everyone, it has been a long time since I've posted here, but I hope everyone is well! I have a couple of questions if you all don't mind, but first, I must tell everyone that I have stumbled upon a drug, Hyoscyamine, that literally takes most, if not all, of my IBS-C symptoms away! It's an antispasmodic, and it goes by a number of names: one of it's brand names is Levsin, and one of it's generics is Hyomax (what I take). And it's cheap! So if you haven't tried it yet, make sure to run it by your doctor! But, in any event, a couple questions:

1. For those who are taking it, does anyone know if there is a limit to how long you can take it? I don't mean how much in a day, but for how long. For example, could I take Hyoscyamine SR 0.375 mg (the all day version of Hyoscyamine) every day for the rest of my life? I ask because some medications your body gets "used" to, and it stops working as well as it used to. I want to know if I should "ration" my supply so as to not have my body get used to it, so to speak.

2. What negative side affects have anyone encountered with Hyoscyamine use? I noticed a couple of people saying that they get tired, is that true?

3. During an attack, is it okay to take more than 0.125 mg of Hyoscyamine in any given 8 hour period?

Thanks so much everyone!

--------------------
- John

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hyoscyamine (a.k.a. the miracle drug) questions new
      #356056 - 02/22/10 07:55 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

When I was on Levsin five years ago, I was a very unstable D. I now consider myself a very stable A. I was on 0.125 mg up to 4 times a day.

At first I took Levsin a couple times a day, then gradually weekly, then monthly, and then not at all. I think Dec. 2005 was the last time I took it.

It made me very, very drowsy all day and pretty thirsty. The drowsiness was the main reason I did not want to be on it forever. For the 3 or 4 weeks I took it more than once a day, I was in bed by 8:30 almost every night.

#356113 - 02/24/10 01:30 PM
J.C.

To Snorkie, just kind of curious, not to come off the topic, but how were you able to stop taking it?

--------------------
- John

#356123 - 02/24/10 06:30 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

In large part to the IBS diet, I became more stable over time. It was a long road.

Also, if I remember correctly, adding an soluble fiber supplement at lunch helped, too. In the morning and evening, I took Benefiber and at lunch, I took generic Fibercon tablets. I still do this today, though it as not as crucial to my stability as it once was.

#356256 - 03/01/10 02:50 PM
J.C.

Anybody else have any thoughts on my post? :-)

--------------------
- John

#356351 - 03/05/10 10:15 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

I have taken Hyoscyamine (Levsin) for years with no problems at all. The only side effect I may get is a dry mouth. I only take it now very very periodically as I have gotten my IBS-C pretty stable thru Heather's diet. I swear if I get cramps I take one (let it dissolve under my tongue) and the cramps are gone within 5--10 minutes. It's really been great for me, that's all I can say.

#357018 - 03/26/10 03:54 PM
J.C.

Does anyone take it on a regular basis?

--------------------
- John

#357019 - 03/26/10 04:56 PM
PABeachBum

Reged: 06/13/08

I swear by the stuff, however

a. I find I've had to up my dosage from one pill stopping an attack, to two pills needed. Usually, this does the job and I have a soft landing the next day, if you follow. But sometimes there is stubborn episodes that I need one later on in the evening, or the next morning its almost as bad. ( i'm a morning go'er )

b. I only take them when I have an acute D attack. Not as a maintenance dose. To keep those attacks down I try to best adhere to diet, fiber supplements, and exercise.

c. I use the ones which dissolve under your tounge. One thing they do wonders for is the placebo affect. Follow me here for a sec, I carry them with me, a couple in a small bottle, and it does wonders for my mind knowing I have them with me at all times, and can always stop an attack. With them at my side I've taken trips all over the area , including NYC in the summer! Placebo effect, totally. Helps me keep from poopin' myself in nervousness going out

#357022 - 03/26/10 08:15 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

When I took it, it made me very tired, and I had blurred vision, as well. I also didn't notice a big improvement with my GI symptoms. So, after a few weeks, I stopped taking it.

#357887 - 04/19/10 03:06 PM
J.C.

Has anyone else felt tired and/or dizzy by the drug? Or is anyone else taking the drug regularly/semi-regularly, and if so how much?

Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

--------------------
- John

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2740 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14908

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review