All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Magnesium supplements and pregnancy
      #355717 - 02/12/10 11:08 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi, I just found out this past Monday that I'm pregnant . I'm in my 5th week now. Before my pregnancy I was more or less able to handle my IBS with diet and supplements. I was taking 2-3 250mg magnesium pills every night, and that helped with my constipation. However, I am not sure whether these are safe for the baby. I stopped the Mg this week and of course, my constipation's gotten worse.
I have an appointment with my obgyn next week so I will talk to her about it, but meanwhile I would love to hear if anyone's had the same experience.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Magnesium supplements and pregnancy new
      #355774 - 02/14/10 04:07 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Zara, big congratulations to you!! I'm so excited for you!

I know that LisaMarie was able (with her doctor's permission) to take Natural Calm throughout her pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Are you taking Natural Calm or a magnesium supplement pill? Are you taking a prenatal vitamin in addition to the 500-750 mg at night?

--------------------
IBS-C

#355784 - 02/14/10 09:19 AM
Zara

Thank you, Fen! We're very excited, too .
Yes, I'm taking a prenatal vitamin as well, besides other stuff it also has 20mg of iron which I think may contribute to the C, and it has 100mg of magnesium as well, which isn't that much for me. Right now I'm off the magnesium supplement since last Monday (that's when I learned the big news) because I was afraid to take anything before talking to my doctor. I'd rather be constipated for the next 9 montsh than taking any chances of harming the baby. I have an appointment tomorrow so I'll discuss this with her. I'm glad to hear that LisaMarie was able to take Mg throughout her pregnancy and breastfeeding; personally I don't think that magnesium would be harmful, but like I said, I need to be sure

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#355785 - 02/14/10 09:23 AM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

am so happy for you and am sure that with the baby in your mind ibs will be at the back at your mind am really happy for you

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#355809 - 02/15/10 06:31 AM
Zara

Thank you, Julie, that's what I'm hoping as well. Happy thoughts now

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#355863 - 02/15/10 08:15 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Congrats!! And I'm super impressed that Fen remembered me!!

No worries, magnesium is super safe during pregnancy. You can't imagine how much I was taking near the end!!!! You think the C is bad now, just wait HOWEVER, I want to REALLY encourage you to breastfeed after your baby is born. I don't know if it's something you've decided yet, but DO give it a try! Not only is it the best, most amazing thing you can do for your baby, it's practically a cure for IBS (and yes, there is a scientific explanation that has to do with the hormones released during breastfeeding). You'll be amazed at how it practically goes into remission. I haven't needed magnesium at all while I've been breastfeeding - and we're going on 14 months now. I've heard similar stories from other moms on this board.

If you do buy the Natural Calm (and in my experience, that is better than any magnesium pill you can buy), make sure to NOT get the kind marketed for expectant moms. It contains extra calcium, which obviously won't help your C!

Good luck to you! You're on an amazing journey!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#355865 - 02/15/10 09:03 PM
Zara

Lisa Marie, thanks for the answer! That's really interesting about brestfeeding and IBS. I was planning on breastfeeding anyway so I'll take this added benefit .

I was at the doctor's yesterday and she also said that mg would be ok for me to take, so I took 500mg last night. I'm hoping it'd work tomorrow, it usually works a day later for me. I also have the regular unflavored Natural Calm but for some reason the pills seem to be working better for me. I do take it NC once in a while, though, just to mix things up a bit.

I'm just glad that taking Mg is ok as I don't know what else I'd do

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#355881 - 02/16/10 04:05 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Zara, I just found out today that I'm pregnant too!

Keep me posted on how everything is going with you! Good luck with the constipation!

--------------------
IBS-C

Congratulations Fen!!! new
      #355891 - 02/16/10 07:56 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Both of you, keep me posted on how pregnancy affects your IBS. I really only noticed symptoms at the transitions between trimesters. And yeah, C is BAD... but it's bad for prego ladies who DON'T have IBS, so we get a double-whammy.

Good luck to both of you!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#355896 - 02/17/10 07:15 AM
jhuggs

Reged: 03/18/09
Loc: Erie, PA

Zara...I can't offer you any advice on the supplements but just wanted to say congratulations!!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 640 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11134

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review