All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Please responed asap....I have to start them tonight
      #355679 - 02/12/10 01:00 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I have been sick and have put off going to the doctor cause I didn't want to be put on antibiotics but I just wasn't getting any better so I went today. Now I have to start antibiotics tonight. She gave me Z-PAK( I have the generic form)I take 2 today and one every day for the next 5 days. She knows I have ibs-d and my pharmacist said to try to take it after I ate. I was just wondering if anyone has taken this brand of antibiotics and if it bothered your ibs-d at all. Should I start taking some type of probiotics while on the antibiotics? When I had my hysterectomy I had 2 rounds of antibiotics while in the hospital and it didn't effect my ibs at all so I am hoping this won't either. I also take lomotil so maybe that will keep it me from noticing any bad side effects with the big D. Any comments or suggestions?????

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please responed asap....I have to start them tonight new
      #355683 - 02/12/10 01:13 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

why do they have you on them?

You don't want to take probiotics with them, because it will just kill the bacteria anyway. You might want to take them after your done with the treatment.

For me personally sometimes certain ones mess me up while other don't, but this is kindof an individual thing.

Some are easier on the gut then others, I think and am not positive that that one is easier on the gut.

Its one of those take them and see what happens kind of thing.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#355691 - 02/12/10 02:37 PM
mrae

I am on them because I have a bad chest cold and fluid behind the ears and they don't want it turning into bronchitis which is going around right now. I am hoping i can tolerate them. I will start some probiotics as soon as I get done with the treatment.

#355693 - 02/12/10 02:48 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

mrae, I am very seldom am on antibiotics but when forced to take them, I take a probiotic right along with the antibiotic. As a matter of fact, through the whole course of antibiotic treatment and afterwards. I space the probiotic a few hours apart from when I take the antibiotic.

Not only does this help the gut, but it totally eliminates yeast infections for the ladies out there. This works wonders for me. Get well soon!

HTH

#355701 - 02/12/10 05:01 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Yes, you can take the probiotics 2 hours after your last antibiotic dose of the day. I would not wait until the antibiotics are finished.

#355714 - 02/12/10 09:18 PM
mrae

Thankyou for your replies

#355732 - 02/13/10 10:34 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The antibiotics should be fine for your D. When your course is over, start on probiotics again in good doses.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#355735 - 02/13/10 11:55 AM
Gerikat

I agree Kim. Take the probiotics right along with the antibiotics, but space them apart. Don't wait until you are finished with the course of antibiotics. By then you will most likely have yeast or D or both. I take acidophilus, and it helps tremendously.

#355737 - 02/13/10 12:58 PM
shawneric

Best thing to do is ask your doctor.

--------------------

#355760 - 02/13/10 04:57 PM
Little Minnie

I agree with Shawneric that as soon as the next antibiotic dose roles around it will kill any probiotic you took 12 hours before. It would be like putting on lotion and then washing your hands with a harsh soap and putting on more lotion then more stripping with the soap. Until you stop the stripping, either soap or antibiotics, the other product is just a waste.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#355765 - 02/13/10 05:29 PM
Gerikat

Well, I disagree. In theory that sounds good, but in reality, it isn't correct. I wonder how many yeast infections Shawn has had?

Sometimes experience speaks louder than logic. Mrae will have to experiment and find what works for her. All I can tell you is, I cannot wait till the end of treatment. By then, the antibiotics have killed my system.

#355780 - 02/14/10 07:32 AM
mrae

I figure the probiotics can't hurt to start now and just continue with well after I'm done with the antibiotics. I will just have to see how it works for me. Thanks everyone.

#355787 - 02/14/10 10:50 AM
shawneric

mrae

I would still suggest asking your doctor, this might cause more d actually and also might just be a waste of money. Why not just check with them.

Antibiotics kill both good and bad and it could possible create a conflict in your system or even what your trying to accomplish with trying not to develop a possible lung infection.

I actually had a episode of thrush in my mouth about a year and a half ago. The first time ever and have been on antibiotics quite a bit in my life. I was not on them when I got the thrush however. I took Mycostatin and it was gone in a couple days and never returned.

Probiotics May Not Prevent Yeast Infections
Australian Study Shows No Effect From Probiotic Preparations

It soon became clear that the probiotic treatments were no better than the placebo.

Overall, 23% of women developed vulvovaginitis after their antibiotic treatments. It did not matter whether the women received oral or vaginal probiotic preparations.

Pirotta stopped the study early since participants weren't likely to benefit from continuing.

Using lactobacillus for post-antibiotic vulvovaginitis "has widespread use despite a lack of biologically plausible basis or evidence of effectiveness," write the researchers.

They advise women to consider using proven antifungal treatments if symptoms develop.

http://women.webmd.com/news/20040826/probiotics-may-not-prevent-yeast-infections

--------------------

#355791 - 02/14/10 11:07 AM
Gerikat

Smart move, Mrae. I used to get sinus infections constantly, and from the antibiotics, I would get constant yeast infections, along with some D. A chiropractor told me to try the acidophilus. Once I did, I have never had another yeast infection, so it does prevent them. Give it a try, you won't be sorry.

By the way, the zpak is one they put me on most of the time, along with amoxicillin. After I started using a sinus wash with a homemade salt solution and a syringe (suggested by my doc), the sinus infections went away, so I have not had an antibiotic in my system for years. Now that feels good!

#355792 - 02/14/10 01:06 PM
shawneric

Bacterial vaginosis is the most common type of vaginal infection.

--------------------

Do you have chronic sinusitis? new
      #355793 - 02/14/10 01:31 PM
kim123

Is it sinusitis that you have...the reason for the antibiotics?

Re: Do you have chronic sinusitis? KIM new
      #355810 - 02/15/10 06:55 AM
mrae

I usually only have a sinus issue once a year if that. I am on antibiotics because it went from my sinuses to my chest and the doc didn't want it to turn into anything serious since this was my second time being sick within the last few weeks. The first time I tried just taking over the counter but the second round was worse so I finally gave in and went to the doc.

Re: Please responed asap....I have to start them tonight(NOW THE DENTIS) new
      #355813 - 02/15/10 07:37 AM
mrae

I went to the dentis the other day first time in 5yrs. Needless to say I need a cleaning and some fillings. When I get my cleaning though he wants to inject antibiotics into my gums to kill the bacteria. First of all I have never heard of this but secondly I am taking anibiotics and DO NOT want to do another round within a few weeks. So far so good with the ones I'm on. The antibiotics he said will stay working for up to 20 days or so. Has anyone ever had this done. I think I am going to tell him nope not doing them. I am so scared to get another round so soon after the round I'm on now.

#355832 - 02/15/10 12:29 PM
shawneric

Does your dentist now your on some? Both your doc and your dentist should know that each of them wants you on them.

Maybe you can postpone the dentist until the first infection goes away. Doesn't sound right they should do this when you have an infection already.

--------------------

#355834 - 02/15/10 12:33 PM
shawneric

Mrae, just fyi, but last year I had shingles and they got infected badly. They had me on six vicodan a day, two antibiotics, one anti shingle med. Then they put me on a third antibiotics that was topical that I wiped into my nose. He said sometimes they put it in your rectum and armpits as well.

The infection was horredous, I couldn't eat and I was in bed and couldn't walk for almost three weeks and the whole thing lasted a couple months and my leg is still scared.

I didn't have one IBS attack that whole time.

--------------------

ironic new
      #355917 - 02/17/10 04:57 PM
Little Minnie

Now I am on antibiotics (amoxycillin) for a sinus infection. I don't know if I have a sinus infection for sure but I have had an 'eye headache' for 8 days straight. I have to go through a week of it for sure before I am checked for anything else. I have no symptoms besides the headache around my right eye and temple.

--------------------

Re: ironic new
      #355927 - 02/17/10 07:54 PM
shawneric

That's abummer Little Minnie. I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------

Re: ironic new
      #355966 - 02/18/10 04:38 PM
Little Minnie

Thanks,
It is either a sinus infection or really bad eye strain. I felt better today until I did 20 minutes of what caused it last Wednesday and my eye started to hurt again. I had thought the antibiotics were starting to work until I did the little number reading again and it came back. So my next step is the optician. I have glasses up to 1 year old so I can't believe my eye strain could be so bad!

--------------------

Re: Please responed asap....I have to start them tonight/UPDATE new
      #355984 - 02/19/10 12:25 PM
mrae

I finished all my antibiotics and suprisely didn't have an problems with them at all. So thankful it went good. Thanks for all the advice.

help ladies new
      #356142 - 02/25/10 05:23 PM
Little Minnie

Well as the doctor warned me about regarding the antibiotics for the sinus infection I probably don't have, I seem to have developed vaginal discomfort. I bought acidophalus today and have ordered soy yogurt. Should I get a yeast infection treatment? I don't remember this ever coming on so pointedly from antibiotics before. I used to use them a couple times a year when I worked with horses. We used to just take the horse antibiotics when we had colds.

--------------------

Re: help ladies new
      #356145 - 02/25/10 05:45 PM
kim123

I'm wondering if reducing your sugar/grain intake would help, as well. Sugar/grains feeds yeast. Maybe try a natural antifungal like olive leaf extract or caprylic acid. Probiotics should help. Yeast infections are not nice.

Sinus infections have been found to be caused by fungus (MAYO clinic) and helped by antifungals. Antibiotics may not help.

#356151 - 02/25/10 07:59 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

well if you have or think you have yeast probs down below....a remedy is to insert( I know I know...)plain yogurt directly to the source.
You can google it to get more info but I did read that once.

HTH

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#356188 - 02/26/10 05:20 PM
Little Minnie

I never actually had a sinus infection. The headaches continue and all I got from it was vaginal discomfort. I am doing a lot of probitic but got Monistat too.

--------------------

update new
      #356265 - 03/01/10 06:04 PM
Little Minnie

One of the worst YI ever! Three days of Monistat didn't clear it up- along with a lot of acidophalus. I bought some Azo Yeast homeopathic remedy today. It was by the douches and FDS. It says it prevents and alleviates symptoms. You can take 3 pills a day. I also got a case of soy yogurt since my store doesn't carry it anymore I had to order a case. (it freezes ok)

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 614 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10835

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review