All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Sweet potato question for syl or anyone who knows
      #355519 - 02/10/10 05:14 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I know sweet potatoes are safe but an excessive amount can be a trigger if you are sensitive to fructose right? I know that cooking them increases the amount of fructose. I usually boil them and mash them. Would it be even safer jsut to eat them baked? How do you usually eat them Syl? Since figuring out this fructose thing I feel soo much better. Has really helped with cramping. I was getting all sorts of pains during my runs and now im basically cramp free and enjoying my runs again, so thanks syl for all your info!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sweet potato question for syl or anyone who knows new
      #355528 - 02/10/10 06:58 PM
Meisy

Reged: 05/06/08

Had a bad reaction from eating carrots. I'm curious what the fructose sensitivity is all about?

#355531 - 02/10/10 07:16 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

FYI

Dr Drossman's comments on foods for IBS Health.

"Other examples of food substances causing diarrhea would be high consumers of caffeine or alcohol which can stimulate intestinal secretion or with the latter, pull water into the bowel (osmotic diarrhea). The same would be true for overdoing certain poorly absorbed sugars that can cause an osmotic type of diarrhea Sorbitol, found in sugarless gum and sugar substituted foods can also produce such an osmotic diarrhea. Even more naturally, people who consume a large amount of fruits, juices or other processed foods enriched with fructose, can get diarrhea because it is not as easily absorbed by the bowel and goes to the colon where it pulls in water. So if you have IBS, all of these food items would make it worse."

http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoods2.htm

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#355533 - 02/10/10 07:33 PM
shawneric

"excessive amount can be a trigger if you are sensitive to fructose"

You don't want to eat an excessive amount.;)

I am a trained chef, I don't think this is a huge problem to eat them mashed or baked.

To much frutose will cause d even in normal people, but it can be somewhat problematic in IBS if you eat to much. Even more so if you actually have fructose intolerence or fructose malabsorbtion and IBS.

Have you ever been tested for Hereditary fructose intolerence or fructose malabsorbtion?

Fructose Intolerance
Hereditary Fructose Intolerance (HFI) is a rare genetic disorder of fructose metabolism due to a deficiency of the enzyme, aldolase B that finishes the conversion of partially converted fructose (fructose-1-phosphate) into glucose.
Fructose is the sugar found in fruit.

http://www.foodreactions.org/intolerance/fructose/index.html

In patients with fructose malabsorption, the small intestine fails to absorb fructose properly. This results in excess hydrogen caused by an overgrowth of otherwise normal intestinal bacteria.

http://www.foodreactions.org/intolerance/fructose/malabsorption.html

This is similar to the condtion SIBO which is caused by an overgrowth of otherwise normal intestinal bacteria in the small intestines.

None of the above are IBS however, IBS is a different problem.

--------------------

Shawneric new
      #355538 - 02/10/10 07:51 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

What percentage of IBS sufferers do you guess actually have problems with fructose to an extent that they would have to alter their diet?
Since there used to be so many posters here who were stable just from following Heather's basic guidelines and not avoiding fructose excessive foods, I can't imagine the percentage is too high.
P.S. I love sweet potatoes!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#355541 - 02/10/10 08:08 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Sweet potatoes or yam do not have excess fructose so they are safe for on the EFI and low fructose diet. I like them baked, candied and sliced thin and then lightly fried in olive oil

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Little Minnie new
      #355543 - 02/10/10 08:15 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There was an interesting study published recently that I discussed in this posting. They found that fructose malabsorption occured with about equal amounts (48-55%) in IBS-C & IBS-D and about twice as often compared to IBS-A (24%).

IBSers with fructose malabsorption probably didn't hang around the board long because the EFI diet wasn't working for them. Image how many more might have stayed if fructose malabsorption in IBSers had be accomodated in the EFI diet

Reference
BARRETT, J. S., IRVING, P. M., SHEPHERD, S. J., MUIR, J. G., & GIBSON, P. R. (2009). Comparison of the prevalence of fructose and lactose malabsorption across chronic intestinal disorders . Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 30(2), 165-174

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Shawneric new
      #355547 - 02/10/10 08:50 PM
shawneric

Little Minnie

Its a hard question actually. Its more people with IBS shouldn't over do it. Even normal people can have problems if they eat to much of it. It doesn't cause IBS, but like fats can be problematic, but its not to not eat any at all, unless it constantly bothers someone.

Fat, Fructose May Contribute to IBS Symptoms

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/462955

--------------------

Re: Little Minnie new
      #355548 - 02/10/10 09:04 PM
shawneric

This is another new one

Clinical impact of identifying lactose maldigestion or fructose malabsorption in irritable bowel syndrome or other conditions.

"CONCLUSIONS: Carbohydrate maldigestion has a similar incidence in patients with and without IBS and both populations have similar compliance with therapeutic diets. However, patients without IBS are more likely to have improvement in symptoms when dietary changes are instituted when compared to IBS patients."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19738525?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=3

another one from Mayo

Fructose intolerance in IBS and utility of fructose-restricted diet.

CONCLUSIONS: About one-third of patients with suspected IBS had fructose intolerance. When compliant, symptoms improved on fructose-restricted diet despite moderate impact on lifestyle; noncompliance was associated with persistent symptoms. Fructose intolerance is another jigsaw piece of the IBS puzzle that may respond to dietary modification.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18223504?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=6

I believe while its important to address these triggers, its also important to address IBS in the big picture.

--------------------

#355550 - 02/11/10 04:54 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Thanks! Sweet potaotes I eat all the time and are hardly ever a problem. But sometimes if I have them mashed for lunch and some more at dinner time or later in the night I feel like it may be too much. I know they are not excess in fructose so they should be fine but they do have fructose right? And excessive fructose is bad for IBS too right?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2062 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18698

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review