All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: LM new
      #355633 - 02/12/10 08:30 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Thank you so much! It really helps to hear this. Why do you avoid pears? You eat apples and peaches and everything? That is awesome! If you have time, could you post a daily sample diet you follow for your IBS. If that's too time consuming, I completely understand!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

PS new
      #355638 - 02/12/10 08:50 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Have you done the hypno tapes? How about exercise every day. I know it is more than the food. I tend to forget that!

Re: LM new
      #355640 - 02/12/10 08:58 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I avoid the fruits that I have found are triggers for me. Too many grapes, too much melon and sometimes pears lead to yuckiness. My husband gets gassy from pears. I eat them, peeled, just not a lot at one time.
Here is my diet this time of year on a workday
2 oatmeal with stevia (one a flavored packet) and smart balance - now I am starting to do a soy fruit and protein smoothie for breakfast
acacia in 24 oz water throughout morning
luna bar
banana then grapefruit
maybe some other tidbit like a cereal bar or almonds
lunch: maybe tofu noodles, veggies and sauce, or a healthy choice mixer (spaghetti one) or a frozen meal like Amy's, or a boca burger, maybe a sweet potato, or leftovers
banana, orange
24oz acacia and water for afternoon
dinner: there are so many different options here, we eat a lot of fish, jasmine rice and broccoli; tofu or shrimp stirfry, homemade pizza or calzone with soy cheese, chicken once a week; I just eat some protein made somewhat lean but not FF, rice, pasta, bread or potato but try to keep that small due to weight, and lots of veggies
dessert: a bowl of cereal and rice milk or homemade soy banana/PB ice cream
I only make fen/pep tea when I don't feel well.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Little Minnie new
      #355653 - 02/12/10 11:12 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

"IBS-A is a distinct subtype from IBS-C and IBS-D there is no reason to expect that the mechanism underlying the three different subtypes need to be related."

Hold on a second though, there is very strong evidence they are relateed to a problem with serotonin or at least it is involved in causing the c/d or A and motility problems as well as the signals to the brain.

I don't think its likely fructose will end up being a cause of IBS, just like at first they thought lactose was, but now they know it isn't, but having commorbid issues are important.

Increasingly our understanding of IBS is that it is a heterogeneous disorder – that is, multiple factors contribute to the well defined symptoms of the disorder. One of these suspected underlying dysfunctions involves serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter or messenger to nerves. Most serotonin in the body is in cells that line the gut where it senses what is going on and through receptors signals nerves that stimulate a response. The serotonin must then be reabsorbed (a process called re-uptake) into cells. This process appears to be disrupted in people with IBS.

Serotonin and SERT
How does serotonin affect gut function? An interview with Gary M. Mawe, PhD, Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. Dr. Mawe is a basic scientist.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/serotonin

I think in some studies they have issues with testing at first and complexities of the issues, for example.

Comparison of breath testing with fructose and high fructose corn syrups in health and IBS.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18221251?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=7

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Fructose is not the cause of IBS and more .... new
      #355665 - 02/12/10 12:03 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I believe they are related only through the brain-gut misconnection but the precise mechanisms need not be related. For example, methane gas produced by methogans in the colon is physiologically active and known to modulate GI motility in IBS-C. The higher the concentration of methane the more C (see references below). A similar thing does not occur in IBS-D or IBS-A. How methane might modulate serotonin or other neurotransmitters and hormones is unknown. So while IBS-D and IBS-C are related via the brain-gut misconnection they are unrelated via the physiological effects of methane on GI motility.

I don't believe I ever said fructose is the cause of IBS. It certainly isn't. Similarly caffeine, alcohol, fat, etc are not causes of IBS. The byproducts of fructose/fructans and other short chained carbohydrate (lactose, sorbitol, etc) fermentation in the colon are GI irritants and motility modulators like other GI irritants. Excess fructose is an IBS trigger. Since anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of IBSers exhibit fructose malabsorption then just like it makes sense to eliminate or reduce dairy, fat, etc it makes good sense to eliminate or reduce fructose/fructan consumption. And it make sense to include it on the EFI IBS trigger lists.

Reference
Chatterjee, S., Park, S., Low, K., Kong, Y., & Pimentel, M. (2007). [url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17397408]The Degree of Breath Methane Production in IBS Correlates With the Severity of Constipation[/url, The American Journal of Gastroenterology, 102(4), 837-841

Hwang, L., Low, K., Khoshini, R., Melmed, G., Sahakian, A., Makhani, M., et al. (2010). Evaluating Breath Methane as a Diagnostic Test for Constipation-Predominant IBS . Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 55(2), 398-403

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Fructose is not the cause of IBS and more .... new
      #355671 - 02/12/10 12:33 PM
shawneric

I got ya Syl, just the last post on the d/c and a IBS connection made it sound slightly like fructose was the reason. Even normal people who eat to much can have d.

just fyi

Just some compilations on serotonin and ibs.

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?s=a21835d0d15f82b5a3f66fbed9d06658&showtopic=80198&st=0&p=707965&#entry707965

Eric,anything new on distention sensitivity?

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=90110

Eric's Compilation about the Psycho-social aspects of IBS information

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=52329

--------------------

#355674 - 02/12/10 12:50 PM
Syl

Thanks for the links. I will definitely read them.

One thing that puzzled me for awhile was how fructose might play a role in C given that in high quantities it is known to be an osmotic laxative producing D. Now we know methane gas in the colon increases C for those with IBS-C and fructose can be fermented by methogens to produce methane. It is quite possible that excess fructose that passes to the colon in IBS-Cers with fructose malabsorption might be fermented by methogens increasing C. Just speculation on my part

Have a great weekend.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#355677 - 02/12/10 12:57 PM
shawneric

Just fyi

Dietary Fructose Intolerance Study

http://www.uihealthcare.com/kxic/2008/06/fructose.html

--------------------

#355686 - 02/12/10 01:24 PM
Syl

Ah - yea - that is the group that thinks they might be able to develop an enzyme that can be ingested with fructose just like lactase can be with milk. That would be wonderful if they can do it.

--------------------

#355687 - 02/12/10 01:31 PM
shawneric

it would be a good thing syl.

Have a good weekend as well and read the articles on those links.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 456 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18804

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review