All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Sweet potato question for syl or anyone who knows
      #355519 - 02/10/10 05:14 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I know sweet potatoes are safe but an excessive amount can be a trigger if you are sensitive to fructose right? I know that cooking them increases the amount of fructose. I usually boil them and mash them. Would it be even safer jsut to eat them baked? How do you usually eat them Syl? Since figuring out this fructose thing I feel soo much better. Has really helped with cramping. I was getting all sorts of pains during my runs and now im basically cramp free and enjoying my runs again, so thanks syl for all your info!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sweet potato question for syl or anyone who knows new
      #355528 - 02/10/10 06:58 PM
Meisy

Reged: 05/06/08

Had a bad reaction from eating carrots. I'm curious what the fructose sensitivity is all about?

#355531 - 02/10/10 07:16 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

FYI

Dr Drossman's comments on foods for IBS Health.

"Other examples of food substances causing diarrhea would be high consumers of caffeine or alcohol which can stimulate intestinal secretion or with the latter, pull water into the bowel (osmotic diarrhea). The same would be true for overdoing certain poorly absorbed sugars that can cause an osmotic type of diarrhea Sorbitol, found in sugarless gum and sugar substituted foods can also produce such an osmotic diarrhea. Even more naturally, people who consume a large amount of fruits, juices or other processed foods enriched with fructose, can get diarrhea because it is not as easily absorbed by the bowel and goes to the colon where it pulls in water. So if you have IBS, all of these food items would make it worse."

http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoods2.htm

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#355533 - 02/10/10 07:33 PM
shawneric

"excessive amount can be a trigger if you are sensitive to fructose"

You don't want to eat an excessive amount.;)

I am a trained chef, I don't think this is a huge problem to eat them mashed or baked.

To much frutose will cause d even in normal people, but it can be somewhat problematic in IBS if you eat to much. Even more so if you actually have fructose intolerence or fructose malabsorbtion and IBS.

Have you ever been tested for Hereditary fructose intolerence or fructose malabsorbtion?

Fructose Intolerance
Hereditary Fructose Intolerance (HFI) is a rare genetic disorder of fructose metabolism due to a deficiency of the enzyme, aldolase B that finishes the conversion of partially converted fructose (fructose-1-phosphate) into glucose.
Fructose is the sugar found in fruit.

http://www.foodreactions.org/intolerance/fructose/index.html

In patients with fructose malabsorption, the small intestine fails to absorb fructose properly. This results in excess hydrogen caused by an overgrowth of otherwise normal intestinal bacteria.

http://www.foodreactions.org/intolerance/fructose/malabsorption.html

This is similar to the condtion SIBO which is caused by an overgrowth of otherwise normal intestinal bacteria in the small intestines.

None of the above are IBS however, IBS is a different problem.

--------------------

Shawneric new
      #355538 - 02/10/10 07:51 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

What percentage of IBS sufferers do you guess actually have problems with fructose to an extent that they would have to alter their diet?
Since there used to be so many posters here who were stable just from following Heather's basic guidelines and not avoiding fructose excessive foods, I can't imagine the percentage is too high.
P.S. I love sweet potatoes!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#355541 - 02/10/10 08:08 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Sweet potatoes or yam do not have excess fructose so they are safe for on the EFI and low fructose diet. I like them baked, candied and sliced thin and then lightly fried in olive oil

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Little Minnie new
      #355543 - 02/10/10 08:15 PM
Syl

There was an interesting study published recently that I discussed in this posting. They found that fructose malabsorption occured with about equal amounts (48-55%) in IBS-C & IBS-D and about twice as often compared to IBS-A (24%).

IBSers with fructose malabsorption probably didn't hang around the board long because the EFI diet wasn't working for them. Image how many more might have stayed if fructose malabsorption in IBSers had be accomodated in the EFI diet

Reference
BARRETT, J. S., IRVING, P. M., SHEPHERD, S. J., MUIR, J. G., & GIBSON, P. R. (2009). Comparison of the prevalence of fructose and lactose malabsorption across chronic intestinal disorders . Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 30(2), 165-174

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Shawneric new
      #355547 - 02/10/10 08:50 PM
shawneric

Little Minnie

Its a hard question actually. Its more people with IBS shouldn't over do it. Even normal people can have problems if they eat to much of it. It doesn't cause IBS, but like fats can be problematic, but its not to not eat any at all, unless it constantly bothers someone.

Fat, Fructose May Contribute to IBS Symptoms

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/462955

--------------------

Re: Little Minnie new
      #355548 - 02/10/10 09:04 PM
shawneric

This is another new one

Clinical impact of identifying lactose maldigestion or fructose malabsorption in irritable bowel syndrome or other conditions.

"CONCLUSIONS: Carbohydrate maldigestion has a similar incidence in patients with and without IBS and both populations have similar compliance with therapeutic diets. However, patients without IBS are more likely to have improvement in symptoms when dietary changes are instituted when compared to IBS patients."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19738525?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=3

another one from Mayo

Fructose intolerance in IBS and utility of fructose-restricted diet.

CONCLUSIONS: About one-third of patients with suspected IBS had fructose intolerance. When compliant, symptoms improved on fructose-restricted diet despite moderate impact on lifestyle; noncompliance was associated with persistent symptoms. Fructose intolerance is another jigsaw piece of the IBS puzzle that may respond to dietary modification.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18223504?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=6

I believe while its important to address these triggers, its also important to address IBS in the big picture.

--------------------

#355550 - 02/11/10 04:54 AM
Allisonmary

Thanks! Sweet potaotes I eat all the time and are hardly ever a problem. But sometimes if I have them mashed for lunch and some more at dinner time or later in the night I feel like it may be too much. I know they are not excess in fructose so they should be fine but they do have fructose right? And excessive fructose is bad for IBS too right?

Correction new
      #355551 - 02/11/10 05:06 AM
Syl

Excess fructose is a relative notion. For a person with fructose malabsorption an excess amount can mean that a food containing as little a couple of grams of excess fructose (i.e. a couple of grams more fructose than glucose) can cause problems. Normally a person with or with or IBS can handle more than 25 grams of excess fructose. Usually a 25 gram load of fructose is used to diagnose fructose malabsorption which is about the amount of excess fructose found in a soft drink sweetened with HFCS. At 50 grams almost everyone exhibits fructose malabsorption. As pointed out previously up to 50% of IBS-C and IBS-D can exhibit fructose malabsorption.

Quote:

In patients with fructose malabsorption, the small intestine fails to absorb fructose properly. This results in excess hydrogen caused by an overgrowth of otherwise normal intestinal bacteria.

This is incorrect. It is true that fructose cannot be absorbed properly in the small intestine but there is little evidence that it is caused by an overgrowth of bacteria except in the case of SIBO or that the problem is particularly hydrogen gas. However, there is some evidence that individuals that truly have SIBO may have more problems with excess fructose that clears up when the SIBO is treated. Most bacteria in the colon can digest sugars especially those in the beginning part of the large intestine producing hydrogen, carbon dioxide or methane. The later gas possibly being responsible for C.

This is the way it is described by experts on fructose malabsorption (references below)

Quote:

Fructose and fructans are fermented by bacteria, yielding short-chain fatty acids (SCFA) and the gases, hydrogen, carbon dioxide and, in some, methane. Observations in vitro using faecal slurries and in vivo using breath hydrogen testing indicate that fructose and fructans are rapidly fermented by bacteria. It is probable, therefore, that such substrates are totally fermented in the very proximal large bowel and possibly distal small intestine, and that subsequent rapid gas formation might distend the lumen locally before the gas is absorbed or further metabolized.

Quote:

Failure to completely absorb fructose in the small intestine (that is, fructose malabsorption) leads to its delivery to the colonic lumen, together with water due to its osmotic effect. Luminal bacteria rapidly ferment fructose to hydrogen, carbon dioxide, and short-chain fatty acids. Thus, if sufficient fructose reaches the colon, luminal distention may occur due to the osmotic load and rapid gas production, which potentially leads to bloating, abdominal discomfort, and motility changes.

One thing I learned in graduate school and I always tell my students is to check the original sources because many times secondary contain errors.

While not all IBSers have fructose malabsorption in those that do which could be up to 50% of the IBS population excess fructose is serious IBS trigger and should be treated like other IBS triggers -- with caution! When you live with this problem like I do you get to intimately know the details of having IBS and fructose malabsorption

References

Gibson, P. R., Newham, E., Barrett, J. S., Shepard, S. J., & Muir, J. G. (2007). Review article: fructose malabsorption and the bigger picture . Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 25(4), 349-363

Shepherd, S. J., & Gibson, P. R. (2006). Fructose Malabsorption and Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Guidelines for Effective Dietary Management . Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 106(10), 1631-1639

Parrish, C. R. (2007). Malabsorption of Fructose and Other Short-chain Carbohydrates . Practical Gastroenterology

--------------------

#355552 - 02/11/10 05:18 AM
Syl

Excess fructose is bad for IBS individuals with fructose malabsorption. It is not a problem for individuals with IBS who are not fructose malabsorbers. A recent study showed that up to 50% of IBS-C and IBS-D individuals are suspected to have fructose malabsorption.

Sweet potatoes contain about equal amounts of glucose and fructose. They contain about 1/2 gram of fructose and glucose and about 1 gram of sucrose per 100 grams of sweet potato.

--------------------

#355554 - 02/11/10 05:43 AM
Syl

Glad to see you agree that excess fructose can be an IBS trigger You may have noticed in the discussions with Julie that Prof Whorwell is using a low excess fructose diet as part of a methodology for managing IBS symptoms.

--------------------

#355555 - 02/11/10 07:38 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

It seems like this website has become the anti-fructose diet not the helpforibs diet. While it's a valid truth that fructose can cause problems, I know I, for one have become obsessed with now eating only low fructose foods and I don't even know if I have a problem with fructose. I'm just brainwashed now. I think we need to concentrate on what Heather suggests, and she does include pears and apples in her sample diet in the book EFI!

How do I now become de-brainwashed to fear fructose? Or shouldn't I? This fructose fear is horrible to the mind.

LM new
      #355556 - 02/11/10 07:39 AM
Cyndy

Do you eat fruits with fructose? Or do you stay away from them? I trust your opinion very much.

Re: LM new
      #355559 - 02/11/10 07:51 AM
Syl

It isn't a matter of a fruit having fructose. The problem occurs when fruits contain more fructose than glucose such as apples, pears, melons and grapes. Fruits like berries contain fructose but they contain less fructose than glucose. They are safe for IBSers with fructose malabsorption while apples, pears, etc are not.

--------------------

#355560 - 02/11/10 07:53 AM
Syl

If you think fructose is a problem then ask your doctor for a fructose malabsorption breath test. It is a simple test where you drink a solution containing fructose and they do an analysis of your breath. You might read Heather's newsletter articles How can I avoid fructose and sorbitol and Sugar and IBS

--------------------

#355561 - 02/11/10 07:58 AM
Cyndy

Syl, I was afraid you would take this post personally. It was not directed at you, I promise!

I took the lactose intolerance test and it came back fine, yet we are told to avoid dairy. Wouldn't that just be the case if the fructose test came back normal?

Plus, I can't find a place that does this test.

And why does Heather say we can eat pears and apples after IF? She knows they contain excess fructose, yet she eats them and has included them in your sample meal plan.

#355564 - 02/11/10 08:58 AM
Syl

Ask you doctor for the test. Most hospitals and medical clinic do the test regularly.

I believe apples and pears are considered okay in EFI diet for those IBSers without fructose malabsorption from what I can infer by reading the newsletters. Over the past 3-5 years many GI centers started recommending IBSers eat a low excess fructose/fructan diet until they are certain that excess fructose/fructans are not a problem.

--------------------

Cyndy-agree'd-nt new
      #355566 - 02/11/10 10:11 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

#355584 - 02/11/10 01:32 PM
shawneric

I Personally eat some, but I try not to over do it. If I do I get d.

Sometimes all this on foods can cause food phobias. hat's something to be careful about really.

--------------------

#355588 - 02/11/10 01:49 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Is there a document that lists common foods and the fructose to glucose and sucrose ratios?

Information sources new
      #355594 - 02/11/10 02:24 PM
Syl

Excellent question!

Accurate measures are difficult to find. The Australian group that did the original research on IBS and fructose malabsorption actually had to measure the ratios and amounts of fructans in a variety of fruits and vegetables commonly found in Australia. They published the results in the reference below. Unfortunately, the copyright text is not free available on the Internet yet. You should be able to get a copy from a university library.

Here are a few sources I sometimes used when I don't want to dig out the Australian paper.

The tables and figures in the article linked to in my signature has some reliable values.

The tables and figures in the second reference give below has some reliable values. It also tells how fructose and other know triggers like artificial sweeteners, lactose and a variety of other things belong to a broad class of GI irritants.

The Table of Fruits and Sugars at the bottom of this page can be useful but it is confusing. However, it does give you the number of grams of fructose and glucose per 100 grams in a variety of foods from which you can calculate the ratio. I would be cautious about reading too much into the rest of the information on the website.

Principles of Diet in Fructose Malabsorption on this health website has some fairly reliable ratios and a table of safe, eat in moderation and avoid foods that is fairly good.

Reference
Muir, J. G., Shepherd, S. J., Rosella, O., Rose, R., Barrett, J. S., & Gibson, P. R. (2007). Fructan and Free Fructose Content of Common Australian Vegetables and Fruit . J. Agric. Food Chem., 55(16), 6619-6627

Parrish, C. R. (2007). Malabsorption of Fructose and Other Short-chain Carbohydrates . Practical Gastroenterology

--------------------

Re: Correction new
      #355609 - 02/11/10 07:08 PM
Little Minnie

Quote:

Normally a person with or with or IBS can handle more than 25 grams of excess fructose. Usually a 25 gram load of fructose is used to diagnose IBS which is about the amount of excess fructose found in a soft drink sweetened with HFCS. At 50 grams almost everyone exhibits fructose malabsorption. As pointed out previously up to 50% of IBS-C and IBS-D can exhibit fructose malabsorption.

I would like to see simple references for this. It seems like things that cannot be so certain. I have never heard of IBS being diagnosed in this way. Perhaps you meant something else.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#355610 - 02/11/10 07:12 PM
Little Minnie

Quote:

There was an interesting study published recently that I discussed in this posting. They found that fructose malabsorption occured with about equal amounts (48-55%) in IBS-C & IBS-D and about twice as often compared to IBS-A (24%).

That is weird and unreliable. Why would it matter if you had A since it is both C and D? I can't trust a test like that.
Quote:

IBSers with fructose malabsorption probably didn't hang around the board long because the EFI diet wasn't working for them. Image how many more might have stayed if fructose malabsorption in IBSers had be accomodated in the EFI diet

That could be true.

--------------------

#355611 - 02/11/10 07:19 PM
Little Minnie

Thank you Cyndy.
I do not follow a low fructose diet. I avoid fructose in drinks and drink no juice or pop (usually) but I eat all the fruits and veggies I want. I avoid HFCS and fruit juice but it is as much for weight issues as for health. I believe the fiber in fruits and veggies helps metabolize the fructose. That is something learned from weight loss advice not IBS advice.
I have never felt a special issue with fructose. I eat all fruits and veggies but eat only limited amounts of grapes, pears, melons; but large amounts of raisins. I am not gas free now but have been stable in the past. I am bloat and gas free in summer in the garden so my continued issues the rest of the year must have a lot to do with other factors than just food.

--------------------

Re: Cyndy-agree'd-nt new
      #355612 - 02/11/10 07:23 PM
Allisonmary

Geesh! Sorry, I was just wondering the safest way to eat a sweet potato. Where am I supposed to post my questions then? Everyone makes it seem like its a crime to talk about fructose on these boards. I dont get it, Im just trying to figure things out like everyone else. I wasn't telling anyone not to eat fructose so what's the problem really?

Obvious Typo new
      #355622 - 02/12/10 04:25 AM
Syl

"Usually a 25 gram load of fructose is used to diagnose IBS which is about the amount of excess fructose found in a soft drink sweetened with HFCS."

Should read

"Usually a 25 gram load of fructose is used to diagnose fructose malabsorption which is about the amount of excess fructose found in a soft drink sweetened with HFCS."

But I guess that was obvious

--------------------

#355624 - 02/12/10 04:57 AM
Syl

Quote:

That is weird and unreliable. Why would it matter if you had A since it is both C and D? I can't trust a test like that

Oh - I hope you write a letter to the editor of the reputable peer-reviewed GI journal that published the results and tell him you don't trust the results and ask that the results be retracted. Maybe you are just expressing your disappointed to hear the incidence of fructose malasborption can be so high in the IBS population. IBS-A is a distinct subtype from IBS-C and IBS-D there is no reason to expect that the mechanism underlying the three different subtypes need to be related. Recently a paper published findings that showed IBS-C can be distinguished by other subtypes including IBS-A using a methane as a potential biomarker. It won't be long before they find unique biomarkers for each FGID subtype.

--------------------

The right place new
      #355625 - 02/12/10 05:13 AM
Syl

You posted your question in the right place. I won't worry about the side comments by the non-believer cheering section. At least once a year the issue of fructose as an IBS triggers comes up and advocates on both sides restate their cases. Over the past few years the evidence that fructose/fructans can be IBS triggers for some individuals has been growing stronger. And over the years more IBSers on the board reduce their fructose/fructan consumption with positive results.

Your question was an excellent question. Keep them coming!

--------------------

#355633 - 02/12/10 08:30 AM
Cyndy

Thank you so much! It really helps to hear this. Why do you avoid pears? You eat apples and peaches and everything? That is awesome! If you have time, could you post a daily sample diet you follow for your IBS. If that's too time consuming, I completely understand!

PS new
      #355638 - 02/12/10 08:50 AM
Cyndy

Have you done the hypno tapes? How about exercise every day. I know it is more than the food. I tend to forget that!

#355640 - 02/12/10 08:58 AM
Little Minnie

I avoid the fruits that I have found are triggers for me. Too many grapes, too much melon and sometimes pears lead to yuckiness. My husband gets gassy from pears. I eat them, peeled, just not a lot at one time.
Here is my diet this time of year on a workday
2 oatmeal with stevia (one a flavored packet) and smart balance - now I am starting to do a soy fruit and protein smoothie for breakfast
acacia in 24 oz water throughout morning
luna bar
banana then grapefruit
maybe some other tidbit like a cereal bar or almonds
lunch: maybe tofu noodles, veggies and sauce, or a healthy choice mixer (spaghetti one) or a frozen meal like Amy's, or a boca burger, maybe a sweet potato, or leftovers
banana, orange
24oz acacia and water for afternoon
dinner: there are so many different options here, we eat a lot of fish, jasmine rice and broccoli; tofu or shrimp stirfry, homemade pizza or calzone with soy cheese, chicken once a week; I just eat some protein made somewhat lean but not FF, rice, pasta, bread or potato but try to keep that small due to weight, and lots of veggies
dessert: a bowl of cereal and rice milk or homemade soy banana/PB ice cream
I only make fen/pep tea when I don't feel well.

--------------------

#355653 - 02/12/10 11:12 AM
shawneric

"IBS-A is a distinct subtype from IBS-C and IBS-D there is no reason to expect that the mechanism underlying the three different subtypes need to be related."

Hold on a second though, there is very strong evidence they are relateed to a problem with serotonin or at least it is involved in causing the c/d or A and motility problems as well as the signals to the brain.

I don't think its likely fructose will end up being a cause of IBS, just like at first they thought lactose was, but now they know it isn't, but having commorbid issues are important.

Increasingly our understanding of IBS is that it is a heterogeneous disorder – that is, multiple factors contribute to the well defined symptoms of the disorder. One of these suspected underlying dysfunctions involves serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter or messenger to nerves. Most serotonin in the body is in cells that line the gut where it senses what is going on and through receptors signals nerves that stimulate a response. The serotonin must then be reabsorbed (a process called re-uptake) into cells. This process appears to be disrupted in people with IBS.

Serotonin and SERT
How does serotonin affect gut function? An interview with Gary M. Mawe, PhD, Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. Dr. Mawe is a basic scientist.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/serotonin

I think in some studies they have issues with testing at first and complexities of the issues, for example.

Comparison of breath testing with fructose and high fructose corn syrups in health and IBS.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18221251?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=7

--------------------

Fructose is not the cause of IBS and more .... new
      #355665 - 02/12/10 12:03 PM
Syl

I believe they are related only through the brain-gut misconnection but the precise mechanisms need not be related. For example, methane gas produced by methogans in the colon is physiologically active and known to modulate GI motility in IBS-C. The higher the concentration of methane the more C (see references below). A similar thing does not occur in IBS-D or IBS-A. How methane might modulate serotonin or other neurotransmitters and hormones is unknown. So while IBS-D and IBS-C are related via the brain-gut misconnection they are unrelated via the physiological effects of methane on GI motility.

I don't believe I ever said fructose is the cause of IBS. It certainly isn't. Similarly caffeine, alcohol, fat, etc are not causes of IBS. The byproducts of fructose/fructans and other short chained carbohydrate (lactose, sorbitol, etc) fermentation in the colon are GI irritants and motility modulators like other GI irritants. Excess fructose is an IBS trigger. Since anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of IBSers exhibit fructose malabsorption then just like it makes sense to eliminate or reduce dairy, fat, etc it makes good sense to eliminate or reduce fructose/fructan consumption. And it make sense to include it on the EFI IBS trigger lists.

Reference
Chatterjee, S., Park, S., Low, K., Kong, Y., & Pimentel, M. (2007). [url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17397408]The Degree of Breath Methane Production in IBS Correlates With the Severity of Constipation[/url, The American Journal of Gastroenterology, 102(4), 837-841

Hwang, L., Low, K., Khoshini, R., Melmed, G., Sahakian, A., Makhani, M., et al. (2010). Evaluating Breath Methane as a Diagnostic Test for Constipation-Predominant IBS . Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 55(2), 398-403

--------------------

Re: Fructose is not the cause of IBS and more .... new
      #355671 - 02/12/10 12:33 PM
shawneric

I got ya Syl, just the last post on the d/c and a IBS connection made it sound slightly like fructose was the reason. Even normal people who eat to much can have d.

just fyi

Just some compilations on serotonin and ibs.

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?s=a21835d0d15f82b5a3f66fbed9d06658&showtopic=80198&st=0&p=707965&#entry707965

Eric,anything new on distention sensitivity?

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=90110

Eric's Compilation about the Psycho-social aspects of IBS information

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=52329

--------------------

#355674 - 02/12/10 12:50 PM
Syl

Thanks for the links. I will definitely read them.

One thing that puzzled me for awhile was how fructose might play a role in C given that in high quantities it is known to be an osmotic laxative producing D. Now we know methane gas in the colon increases C for those with IBS-C and fructose can be fermented by methogens to produce methane. It is quite possible that excess fructose that passes to the colon in IBS-Cers with fructose malabsorption might be fermented by methogens increasing C. Just speculation on my part

Have a great weekend.

--------------------

#355677 - 02/12/10 12:57 PM
shawneric

Just fyi

Dietary Fructose Intolerance Study

http://www.uihealthcare.com/kxic/2008/06/fructose.html

--------------------

#355686 - 02/12/10 01:24 PM
Syl

Ah - yea - that is the group that thinks they might be able to develop an enzyme that can be ingested with fructose just like lactase can be with milk. That would be wonderful if they can do it.

--------------------

#355687 - 02/12/10 01:31 PM
shawneric

it would be a good thing syl.

Have a good weekend as well and read the articles on those links.

--------------------

Thank you-nt new
      #355744 - 02/13/10 02:07 PM
Cyndy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 350 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18698

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review