All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ongoing Problem w/ Parasites
      #355393 - 02/08/10 04:06 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

So ive been having some parasites show up on my stool tests for the past several months. First time there was one, 2nd time there were 3 and now there are 5. My doctor and I are stumped. I have no idea where im getting these bugs and if the test is actually detecting anything that that can be considered infectious, since i dont really have the classic parasitic disease symptoms. He has never seen this with other patients but its upsetting to me. I have had gastritis for several months and its still possible one of these bugs could be causing it, but i cant get rid of them I was on meds to treat the bugs for 2 weeks and i started feeling better but then they came back along with 3 new ones. Has anyone had this experience? i am really lost - i feel like this is preventing my gut from healing. im afraid to start taking meds again until i figure out where they are coming from. I am super anal when it comes to how i cook & prepare my food and what i put in my body. Unless the spring water im drinking is infected, i have no idea where else i can be getting this from.

id appreciate feedback - thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ongoing Problem w/ Parasites new
      #355394 - 02/08/10 04:15 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What meds were did you take? Just curious

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#355395 - 02/08/10 04:55 PM
jenny833

Alinia and Mebendazole...2 weeks & 5 days respectively

Any thoughts?

#355396 - 02/08/10 05:06 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Unfortunately, we come to think that bottled water is absolutely safe to drink. There have been many lots of bottled water recalled in the past couple of years for parasitic contamination.

Have you considered Giardia in your home water that you shower or bathe with? Giardia can also be sexually transmitted. Check out Giardiasis, which is the reaction in the body.

When I lived in the San Francisco / Bay Area there was a major outbreak of Giardiasis from the contaminated water systems. Even when the water companies corrected their problem, the parasites remained in the plumbing of homes.

I'll leave it to you to do the homework on this.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#355397 - 02/08/10 05:17 PM
jenny833

Thanks. Giardia isnt the problem...its a bunch of other bugs I never even heard of. I did contract giardia once and it was awful - right now i dont really have classic parasite symptoms but they are showing up in my stool

#355398 - 02/08/10 05:17 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

If you think it may be your water try drinking distilled water.Other water sources kill the parasites but the dead parasites are still IN the water which allows the parasites in your system to feed off them.
And its gross thinking about drinking something that is dead
even if it is microscopic.
we bought a distiller and the difference is amazing.I am now a water snob as are all the other people I know that have bought distillers.

hth
chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#355399 - 02/08/10 05:36 PM
Windchimes

I would definitely agree with Dragonfly about distilled water. Anywhere you shop, most stores will give you 10% off on a case of anything, even Walmart.

If you don't have a distiller or can't afford one, then check out your local store discounts on distilled water by the case, that will definitely be better for you for drinking and cooking.

However, this won't help you when you shower or bathe in the tub and absorb things that are not healthy if your water is contaminated.

There are free county services everywhere that will check your faucet (tap) water for contamination by bringing in a sample. I suggest that others use this option.

--------------------

#355400 - 02/08/10 05:42 PM
Windchimes

Cipro is the most powerful antibiotic that I know of. It will knock out anything. However, one does need to get to the source of the continuing persistent re-introduction to the same source of infection. Too many antibiotics can cause more problems.

Best to you!

--------------------

Re: Cipro good for bacteria new
      #355401 - 02/08/10 06:09 PM
jenny833

not parasites

Re: but what about bathing/shower water? new
      #355403 - 02/08/10 06:15 PM
jenny833

u can just as easily contract a bug from the shower

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1087 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5232

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review